This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOPA / Protect IP

Comments

• The VT guy is not removing anything from the bill, just putting it on hold so that at a latter time they can turn around and reactivate it.
  • Instructions for what to do when Reddit is out:
    1. Go to Wikipedia
    2. Click "Random Article"
    3. Read page and follow links on that page until link trail runs dry
    4. Repeat
  • You can do the same with TV Tropes.
  • What is SOPA without DNS provisions? How would it be any different from the DMCA?
  • edited January 2012
    What is SOPA without DNS provisions? How would it be any different from the DMCA?
    Removing it still leaves the option of replacing it with something as bad or worse.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Instructions for what to do when Reddit is out:
    1. Go to Wikipedia
    Wikipedia is considering going offline too.
  • Wikipedia is considering going offline too.
    1. Open an actual encyclopedia.
  • A what now?
  • Wikipedia is considering going offline too.
    1. Open an actual encyclopedia.
    Can I get that on my Kindle?

• Does anyone still make those?
  • The White House responded to the SOPA/PIPA petition. Significantly better news than I expected!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#/!/response/combating-online-piracy-while-protecting-open-and-innovative-internet
  • Wow. That was a surprisingly substantive response that actually seemed to side with what internet users want. I'm a bit more hopeful for my wayward homeland.
  • The White House responded to the SOPA/PIPA petition. Significantly better news than I expected!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#/!/response/combating-online-piracy-while-protecting-open-and-innovative-internet
    It didn't cost them anything since the DNS provisions were already being removed in both chambers of Congress.

It's a SOPA 2.0 that we now have to worry about.

The Imperial March always plays in my head when I read something he writes.
  • Excuse me Mr Murdoch but with your latest hacking scandal I do believe you need to refamiliarize yourself with the relationship between the pot and kettle.

It didn't cost them anything since the DNS provisions were already being removed in both chambers of Congress.

It's a SOPA 2.0 that we now have to worry about.

Even with the changes to SOPA recently, it is still being hit by the same heavy opposition.
  • edited January 2012
    SOPA has just been shelved indefinitely. For those who know little about Congressional process, that is tantamount to the bill being killed. Yeah, people will bitch about how it can come back, but this is basically the same situation as the Orphan Works Bill that comes up every few years and always gets killed by public outcry.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • SOPA has just been shelved indefinitely. For those who know little about Congressional process, that is tantamount to the bill being killed. Yeah, people will bitch about how it can come back, but this is basically the same situation as the Orphan Works Bill that comes up every few years and always gets killed by public outcry.
    I read in some completely unreliable Internet comments that the story about SOPA being shelved was a fake story by a lobbyist to hopefully turn off the fire. Looks like we're still going to protest on the 18th, even Wikipedia will go dark.

• SOPA has just been shelved indefinitely. For those who know little about Congressional process, that is tantamount to the bill being killed. Yeah, people will bitch about how it can come back, but this is basically the same situation as the Orphan Works Bill that comes up every few years and always gets killed by public outcry.
    I read in some completely unreliable Internet comments that the story about SOPA being shelved was a fake story by a lobbyist to hopefully turn off the fire. Looks like we're still going to protest on the 18th, even Wikipedia will go dark.

Good, it'll be reinforcement, a sort of "Remember we're watching" from the free internet resources that help keep life in the 21st century bearable. It'll also help kill PIPA.
  • House majority leader Eric Cantor that there would be no vote on SOPA “unless there is consensus on the bill."

This comes directly from members of Congress who oppose the bill, so unless they are trying to reduce their own support for some reason, it seems pretty reliable to me.

You still should protest though, because PIPA isn't withdrawn.
  • Even Nyan Cat is all about it.

• That poster is too awesome.
  • Apparantly SOPA is coming back, or is this SOPA 2.0 now, i wonder
  • edited January 2012
    Google's doodle is obvious, but well done.
    Edit: Wikipedia is going to be dark for 24 hours too!

Those fuckers in congress are going to get their phones blown off the hook by the sheer volume of calls.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited January 2012
    Wikipedia's off. Good for them. Should raise a ton of awareness.

Can somebody give me a screenshot of the Google doodle? I live in austria and don't get to see it. It would be hilarious though if Google and YouTube went completely dark. Things would fly completely off the handle.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • It's just the google logo with a black bar covering it.
    And clicking on it links to this page.
  • Wikipedia's off.
    Kinda. If you're savvy enough, you can still get to the text of the article.
    So like the logo of Black Flag? Thought it would be something like this.