This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

No more peeing at Starbucks

13»

Comments

• Whats the deal with the poop covered restrooms? You've mentioned it several times, are you people up north really that bad? Only time I've seen a poop covered bathroom is either at a sketchy gas station/truck stop or in a public school.
    There's a bunch of crazy homeless people here who have no place else to poop.
    which is why NYC can't have public restrooms, oh how I long to take a piss while at a subway station.
  • If I had a storefront in NYC, I would make my bathroom explicitly public. Inevitably a bum would come to use it. If the bum wasn't insane, I would offer to pay them to come by and clean it once every day.
  • <
    which is why NYC can't have public restrooms, oh how I long to take a piss while at a subway station.
    Funnily enough, the public restrooms here (actually public and paid for by the city, not "public" ones in private places) are by and large extremely clean and well-cared-for. I've used bathrooms in the subway system on numerous occasions, and the public restrooms at Bryant Park can be described as opulent.

Of course, these facilities are designed to be public and are considered a public service.
  • <
    Funnily enough, the public restrooms here (actually public and paid for by the city, not "public" ones in private places) are by and large extremely clean and well-cared-for. I've used bathrooms in the subway system on numerous occasions, and the public restrooms at Bryant Park can be described as opulent.

Of course, these facilities are designed to be public and are considered a public service.
    Well, not all public restrooms are so glorious. Various toilets in the big parks (Central, Corona, etc.) are ok, but not amazing like the Bryant Park ones.
  • No. But they're usually serviceable here. Starbucks bathrooms were poop-covered hellholes, so the public ones were by comparison clean rooms.
  • No. But they're usually serviceable here. Starbucks bathrooms were poop-covered hellholes, so the public ones were by comparison clean rooms.
    Well, the reason the Starbucks ones are messy is pretty simple. The bathrooms there are single-toilet unisex jobs. That means the combined mess of every patron is in one toilet and one sink. It's not distributed across multiples, so it needs cleaning more often. Also, the parks have dedicated janitors who clean regularly. The Starbucks only has baristas who can only clean the toilet when the coffee business dies down. That's almost never.
  • We all know women's bathrooms are the dirtier ones. Scott's unisex theory is valid.
  • Filled with the cooties and such! Bah I will have no truck with a unisex bathroom where there is a chance of infection!

One interesting thing that we have in a town near me is urinals that rise out of the street afer a certain time. This at least solves the homeless problem.
  • One of the things I liked about D.C. was since the museums were usually free to get into you could get into the bathrooms really easy ^_^
  • edited November 2011
    I can speak from personal experience that people are just weird in bathrooms. At the Best Buy I work at people have missed the toilet with poop or just plain pooped on the floor.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • How? how did they do that. I could understand drunk dude missing with pee and drunk girls falling off. But at a Best Buy, when a lot of people aren't drunk, how can someone miss loo with poop.
  • Maybe they are really old and have poor motor control?
  • Filled with the cooties and such! Bah I will have no truck with a unisex bathroom where there is a chance of infection!

One interesting thing that we have in a town near me is urinals that rise out of the street afer a certain time. This at least solves the homeless problem.
    London had these awesome urinals that were just standing on the corners at night. At first we thought one of my friends just found a bizarre perch to stand on and make contented faces. Nope; superconvenient street urinal.

• I think I know where your messy shitters come from:

• Maybe they are really old and have poor motor control?
    We had a staff-wide email go out at work a while back about people pooping on the floor and in the trash cans, which are clear across the room from the toilets. I suspect the occasional turd-laying old folk do exist, there's definitely some foul play involved as well.

Whoever told that story needs to learn A) that there is no protocol against using a stall next to an occupied stall, B) that it is never worth causing yourself physical pain to hold it in just because you hear voices in the stall next to you (why are you letting him win?), and C) to flush as you go!

Not sure I have laughed that hard in a while. I may have to share that story.
    Not sure I have laughed that hard in a while. I may have to share that story.
    I'd read the story a couple times before but I had been trying to find it again.