This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Characteristics of Successful People.

edited November 2011 in Everything Else
There is some evidence that we are all just apologists for our behavior and that we really have no conscious control over what happens in life whatsoever. If that's true, then I cannot help myself for what I am about to say. If it's not true, then there are behaviors you can adopt to improve your lot in life.

--Knowing what you want.
--Persistence in pursuit of what you want.

Arguably, that's it right there. Everything else sort of grows out of that. Here are more:

--ability to achieve a state of Flow. (Read Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi)
--getting along well with others. (Read Dale Carnegie)
--showing up (Read Studs Terkel)
--meeting obligations (Read David Allen)
--the capacity to stand and deliver (Read about George Washington)

Is this list exhaustive? Heck no. Why there's a better list available just by Googling the topic. Want more out of life? Pick someone from history who you admire and read all you can on him or her. Rinse and repeat. After a while, you'll start to see trends but you will also see that there are many, many paths to success. There are also many definitions of success. For example, I always thought you had to be smart to be successful. Then I started reading Ted Turner's autobiography. Turner is a scrapper but he is no genius and actually you'll be shocked by his book compared to a book about Warren Buffett or Bill Gates.

The point, is, however, that if you are suffering because of circumstances stop it. Viktor Frankl pwned you back in 1939.
Post edited by Thaed on

Comments

• You missed being a psychopath. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2011/06/14/why-some-psychopaths-make-great-ceos/

CEOs are four times more likely to be psychopaths than the general populace. In other words, a primary characteristic of being a successful person is being an evil dick with no empathy. We have structured a society in such a way that the people who care least for others possess the majority of the wealth and power.
  • Oh stop. Have you read Jon Ronson's book on this? It is excellent in that it is both funny and entertaining. Most CEOs are not psychos. They only have one example and even Ronson wasn't sure if he was a true psycho. And Scott, take Robert Hare's test if you are curious. I bet you are high scoring.
  • edited November 2011
    Characteristics of Successful People, huh?

Well, I suppose that would include:

- No minorities (at least, no easily identifiable minorities) for everyday success. If you're talking about entertainment, when there is a screen between the entertainer and the public, some minorities are okay, as long as they aren't too threatening.

- If you want to be a lawyer, your grades in Law School must place you in the top 1% of the top 10% in your class, and your school had better be either Harvard or Yale. Also, you need to have been the notes editor on at least two law reviews.

- It also helps if Daddy was very successful.

See, that Ted Turner guy displayed a few of these characteristics. He is no genius, but he's a scrapper (also a straight white guy - that helps a lot). A real bootstraps guy. Of course it doesn't hurt that his father left him a business, Turner Outdoor Advertising, which, according to Wikipedia, was worth ONE MILLION dollars when Ted Turner took it over in 1963. One million in 1963 dollars, when a dollar was worth about ten dollars of today's virtual monopoly money dollars, back in the days when a comic book was wort ten cents and you could buy a house for 20K and most people thought they were rich if they made 25K a year.

One million 1963 dollars. Yeah, ol' Ted is a real self-made bootstrap-ey American success story.

Oh yeah - circumstances don't matter. I totally agree with you there. That's why you see so many poor African-American kids raised in the ghettoes of Baltimore and DC go on to become the CEOs of major companies like Halliburton. That Halliburton CEO was a poor black kid from Baltimore, right? Yeah, well anyway, that's why you see so many of those kids as partners in national law firms and U.S. Senators and so forth - because their circumstances didn't matter.

Yeah.

Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Oh stop. Have you read Jon Ronson's book on this? It is excellent in that it is both funny and entertaining. Most CEOs are not psychos. They only have one example and even Ronson wasn't sure if he was a true psycho. And Scott, take Robert Hare's test if you are curious. I bet you are high scoring.
    Haven't read it yet, it's on the list. But I remember it because it is a great weapon for my Internet argument arsenal.
  • Yeah Joe you're right. This country would never elect someone who is a minority as president. No matter whether you agree with his politics or not, Barack Obama is an American success story.

At least your comment makes me think of a cool Rush tune:

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance take,
    A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

A planet of playthings,
    We dance on the strings
    Of powers we cannot perceive
    "The stars aren't aligned,
    Or the gods are malign..."
    Blame is better to give than receive.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill.

There are those who think that they were dealt a losing hand,
    The cards were stacked against them; they weren't born in Lotusland.

All preordained
    A prisoner in chains
    A victim of venomous fate.
    Kicked in the face,
    You can't pray for a place
    In heaven's unearthly estate.

Each of us
    A cell of awareness
    Imperfect and incomplete.
    Genetic blends
    With uncertain ends
    On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet.
  • Yeah Joe you're right. This country would never elect someone who is a minority as president. No matter whether you agree with his politics or not, Barack Obama is an American success story.
    That's right - I forgot how we don't have to worry about race or whether people are poor any longer because we elected a non-threatening looking minority guy to be POTUS and then tried our damndest for four years to make sure that nothing he wanted to do was done.

Also, because we elected a minority, all those poor kids suddenly became, like Ted turner, heirs apparent to million-dollar businesses.

How short-sighted of me to forget that.

It's also nice to have Rush lyrics quoted:

"Here are the lyrics to an old song. Your argument is invalid."
  • Do your worst, Joe. Your powers of negativity are perhaps greater than my powers of optimism and abundance thinking. You can play Joker to my Batman anytime you want. The question is: how do you want to live? Do you want to live in a demon haunted world (to borrow from Sagan) or do you want to live in a place where trying to realize your potential is a main part of what life is about regardless of circumstance?

What about Mr. Frankl? Do you dare take him on Joe? He kind of owns the success in impossible circumstance space.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm not trying to be negative. I'm being realistic. Things seems to have worked out well for you. That's nice. I'm happy for you.

However, the idea that personal gumption alone is what makes success is just not true. Further, the proposition that circumstances don't matter is even more untrue.

Look at your example of Ted Turner. He inherited a business worth one million dollars in 1963. According to one of those internet calculator thingees, that's about seven and a quarter million in 2011 money. If I started out in life knowing that I stood to inherit a seven and a half million dollar business, I'd hazard to say that I might be a little more well off than I am now.

Those kids I see on the street in Baltimore everyday and the ones i taught when I briefly taught high school on the wrong side of the Anacostia in DC are not going to inherit seven and a quarter million dollar businesses. True, they are not going to be concentration camp victims either, but the reality of their situation is that they are highly unlikely to be very successful in the ways that success is usually measured in America BECAUSE OF THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES. That's not negativity. That's reality.

I'm not the Joker, and you are certainly not Batman.

Well, you might be the ridiculously campy Adam West Batman, but even most incarnations of Batman were hard bitten realists who understood that they could do what they do because of their inherited wealth, i.e. their circumstances, and who realized that not everyone can rise to their level of wealth, largely due to their particular circumstances.

Go back and re-read some Batman to see some of his opinions on wealth. An especially good one is Batman: Year One. Read his comments about how he is lucky and how he doesn't feel like he can do his job very well. Does he sound like an optimist?
  • Thaed and Joe, don't give up I've always wanted to see this fight happen!
  • Frankl, Joe, Frankl. Focus. What do you say to the guy who managed to be successful and a world famous author of one of the best books ever written despite being in a concentration camp!
  • Frankl, Joe, Frankl. Focus. What do you say to the guy who managed to be successful and a world famous author of one of the best books ever written despite being in a concentration camp!
    6 million people were systematically exterminated. The odds are pretty good that someone would have survived. That they falsely attribute their survival to themselves is expected.

The amazing thing about humans is that we have the power to turn bad situations into good ones. The problem with humans is that we tend to take credit for things over which we had no control.

Frankl was lucky.

• I suppose he was lucky in that he didn't get killed outright. How he dealt with it though and then shared it with us as something to learn from is very special.

I'm not discounting luck. I've had more than my share of good luck. However, if you think that fate and luck are all there is to life then why bother getting out of bed in the morning?
  • edited November 2011
    Thaed and Joe, don't give up I've always wanted to see this fight happen!
    You're probably not going to see it today. I have a lot of work to do because of my circumstances.
    Frankl, Joe, Frankl. Focus. What do you say to the guy who managed to be successful and a world famous author of one of the best books ever written despite being in a concentration camp!
    I say, "Good for him. He survived and was successful despite terrible circumstances, probably due in large part to sheer luck." However, if you're going to use him as an argument that circumstances don't matter or that everyone should be successful because he was, you probably need to read the Wikipedia article on logical fallacies.
    Frankl, Joe, Frankl. Focus. What do you say to the guy who managed to be successful and a world famous author of one of the best books ever written despite being in a concentration camp!
    6 million people were systematically exterminated. The odds are pretty good that someone would have survived. That they falsely attribute their survival to themselves is expected.

The amazing thing about humans is that we have the power to turn bad situations into good ones. The problem with humans is that we tend to take credit for things over which we had no control.

Frankl was lucky.

Yeah, the thing that strikes me about Frankl is that he was a doctor before he went into the camps, and then they used him for his doctoring skills and were probably motivated to keep him alive due to those skills. What do you call things like that again? Oh yeah - circumstances.

How about the six million other people? Were they somehow lacking in personal gumption and/or motivation to achieve success because they didn't survive? Were they too lazy? Were they too stupid? What?

• Good point about Frankl Joe.
  • You can straw man all day and try to put words in my mouth too. I suppose I brought this all upon myself because I called the OWS people stupid. I started the name calling and I'm getting the hate back in spades. I accept that.

Circumstances are barriers to be overcome. If you want something, overcome the barriers. That's the point of boiling down life being as simple as what you want. If it's not worth it, don't do it. Do something else. Life is too short. If you fail, try again or do something else. Most successful people failed at one time or another. Because they were persistent, they tried again or tried something else.

• edited November 2011

Circumstances are barriers to be overcome. If you want something, overcome the barriers. That's the point of boiling down life being as simple as what you want. If it's not worth it, don't do it. Do something else. Life is too short. If you fail, try again or do something else. Most successful people failed at one time or another. Because they were persistent, they tried again or tried something else.
    I think you are continuing to miss the point, most of the successful people were able to fail and still succeed due to in some way factors that they did not produce themselves. We are only arguing that we should make it easier for people in lower economic classes to fail and not destroy themselves. Therefore people would be able to take risks and fail more without completely risking their families or health.

Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Then you want a fool's errand. You're not going to be able to create that environment no matter how much money you through at it. The motivation to succeed is personal. Or as Rand would say, "you can't live for another man."

Hey Joe, did you know that Rand was a woman? Oh, and she was an immigrant too. Probably just lucky though. Everyone who ever does anything is just lucky or their parents bought it for them. Yep, that's the way the world goes round, right Joe?
  • Then you want a fool's errand. You're not going to be able to create that environment no matter how much money you through at it. The motivation to succeed is personal. Or as Rand would say, "you can't live for another man."
    Motivation is personal, the upbringing that allows one to be motivated to succeed is not.
  • Do your worst, Joe. Your powers of negativity are perhaps greater than my powers of optimism and abundance thinking.
    I'm not trying to be negative. I'm being realistic
    I think I'm onto something with this...(shameless cross promotion)

I feel like I know what "came before" this argument. Now, how can I turn this into world domination...
  • At this point in the conversation I'd like to inject that one thing we can do is donate to Junior Achievement. It's an easy way to help level the playing field a little and improve communities, etc. I doubt anything I'll say on this forum or among friends will actually force changes for the better, but Junior Achievement does certainly help get kids motivated.
  • You can't grow an orchid in the desert (without some serious effort behind it anyway). At the same time, some people come out of hell and are still successful. Shaq comes to mind.
  • In addition to knowing what you want and being driven for it, you need to want specific sorts of things to be wealthy. That's not the same as success, but obviously since most of this thread seems to be digging into the wealth side of the equation it bears mention.

Wanting to advance certain fields might make you successful and be more achieveable for everyone, but achieving wealth is most certainly made easier by having wealth. Perhaps disproportionately so.
  • At this point in the conversation I'd like to inject that one thing we can do is donate to Junior Achievement. It's an easy way to help level the playing field a little and improve communities, etc. I doubt anything I'll say on this forum or among friends will actually force changes for the better, but Junior Achievement does certainly help get kids motivated.
    This. Donations to causes you believe in are noble. Being forced to support crazy ideas out of Washington is not.

• So Thaed, you'd rather keep getting the 1 out of a million to succeed and not try as a society to see if we can't get 100 out of a million? would we be better as a society? I think so.
  • edited November 2011
    At this point in the conversation I'd like to inject that one thing we can do is donate to Junior Achievement. It's an easy way to help level the playing field a little and improve communities, etc. I doubt anything I'll say on this forum or among friends will actually force changes for the better, but Junior Achievement does certainly help get kids motivated.
    This. Donations to causes you believe in are noble. Being forced to support crazy ideas out of Washington is not.

Yeah. I've noticed that. It's why I'm very along the lines of stop Washington from being crazy. Of course, I live in SC so the chances of my vote helping pull crazy out of anywhere are nil. I don't think my senators are going anywhere anytime soon, and no one else who ends up on our ballots is much better.

Really, I think my long term plan is to simply migrate to a different country once things settle down a bit. I have some decently sought-after skills and my fiance certainly does, so we should be able to make ends meet wherever we live.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Cremlian you are assuming that a government program to create a safety net would help 100 million people. I am assuming that instead it would result in 100 million people living off of it like the dole and generating more people who would also live off of it. The funny thing here is that deep down you and I probably want the same thing: to help people. I believe that you help people through voluntary acts that you, in turn, believe in. Motivation begets motivation. While I will stipulate that Frank Herbert is right and that fear is the mind killer, it is the last bastion of motivation. Complacent people do not strive.
  • edited November 2011
    Hey Joe, did you know that Rand was a woman? Oh, and she was an immigrant too. Probably just lucky though. Everyone who ever does anything is just lucky or their parents bought it for them. Yep, that's the way the world goes round, right Joe?
    Ayn Rand was also born wealthy relatively rich, was one of the first women to get a university education in Russia (thanks to the Revolution) and graduated thanks to the chance intervention from foreign intellectuals (when the Revolution started to purge the schools). She got work as a screen writer after a "chance meeting" with Cecil B. DeMille. To be sure, she didn't have a faery tale life, but she also had lots of help along the way to her success.

As usual, reality is in the middle. Lots of bad things happened to her that she overcame, and some she never overcame (she was never able to get her family out of Russia). However, lots of good things happened to her by chance that didn't happen to a million other people and they probably had just as much to do with her success as her own hard work.
    Shaq comes to mind.
    Yeah, he worked really hard at being 7'1" when all his friends where just sitting around complaining about their lot in life. While this obviously isn't the ONLY reason he became a professional NBA player (I'm a 6'8" Canadian and I'm not an NHL pro), it probably helped.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Cremlian you are assuming that a government program to create a safety net would help 100 million people. I am assuming that instead it would result in 100 million people living off of it like the dole and generating more people who would also live off of it. The funny thing here is that deep down you and I probably want the same thing: to help people. I believe that you help people through voluntary acts that you, in turn, believe in. Motivation begets motivation. While I will stipulate that Frank Herbert is right and that fear is the mind killer, it is the last bastion of motivation. Complacent people do not strive.
    This. This is what I think it ends up always coming down to. It's why I always say that I don't think we need bigger government/more social programs. I always say we need better government/better social programs. Regardless of who is doing the helping, the helping should be getting done. Whether that's a well-regulated government social program like a revamped unemployment or a well-run charity it really doesn't matter to me.

I do recognize, however, that there are voids that can only be filled by government. I can't see a coastal navigation system (historically lighthouses and lightships, which aside from a short experiment have always been government-run) or public health (think the CDC not the British NHS) being handled by charities. It's too much of an abstract concept to a lot of average people, and you'd get a lot of people who simply say "I don't care about ships crashing." without thinking through the farther implications.
  • I'ma just leave this here, from one of the other threads:
    Weakness isn't the inability to succeed, it's the unwillingness to attempt to succeed. And strength is not measured by success, it's measured by the willingness to approach a challenge, whether or not you will (or can) succeed. It doesn't matter if you have help or do it alone or what have you: true failures fail no matter the circumstances, because they've already defeated themselves.
    Persistence is probably one of the largest components of success, but the most important component is getting into the mindset of success. Don't look at a problem and say, "I'm fucked;" look at a problem and say, "I'm going to kick this thing's ass."

Whether or not you actually succeed after an attempt is immaterial. The greatest successes are born of long strings of failure, and incremental progression.

I'm also not a fan of what most people call a "goal-oriented" approach. Goals, to me, are far away. They're on the other side of the field. You need to know what your goals are, but those should be internalized.

No, I like an "accomplishment-oriented" approach. You have a goal, and you make a plan to achieve that goal in discrete steps.

The "capacity to stand and deliver" is incredibly important, because the odds are good that you'll get knocked down. You might get fucked and get knocked down permanently, but as long as you can still get back up (even if you need help), you owe it to yourself to do so.

Meeting obligations is also extremely important. If you can't meet the obligations that you've created for yourself, or that you have accepted from other people, then you have no hope of incremental success. Also, meeting obligations that relate to other people fosters social goodwill, and creates an investment that can later give you a return.