This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

X-Large (Obesity in America Discussion)

Comments

• Alright, roadtripping to NY this summer for some chowder, some pizza, and a Garbage Plate.
    Travel by map. It's faster.
    Travel by map?

• Alright, roadtripping to NY this summer for some chowder, some pizza, and a Garbage Plate.
    Travel by map. It's faster.
    Travel by map?

Go see the new Muppet movie.

• Aside: Can I bake a cherry pie into a chocolate-chip-toffee cookie crust?
    Why not? At Na Brasa (a Brazilian steakhouse) this weekend, I wrapped roasted lamb in bacon, and then covered it with chocolate.

You can do anything. You can do anything at all. The only limit is yourself.

Why not? At Na Brasa (a Brazilian steakhouse) this weekend, I wrapped roasted lamb in bacon, and then covered it with chocolate.

You can do anything. You can do anything at all. The only limit is yourself.

Madness. Utter madness.
  • At Na Brasa (a Brazilian steakhouse) this weekend, I wrapped roasted lamb in bacon, and then covered it with chocolate.
    WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING?

• At Na Brasa (a Brazilian steakhouse) this weekend, I wrapped roasted lamb in bacon, and then covered it with chocolate.

Because I could.

Because I could.

And lo, they shall look upon our chocolate-covered, bacon wrapped meats, and they shall weep and gnash their teeth, crying out:

"Are you not men?"

And we shall look down upon them, our bellies well-sated and our eyes as parents' upon their children, and we shall whisper:

"Nay. We are GODS."

• edited December 2011
    At Na Brasa (a Brazilian steakhouse) this weekend, I wrapped roasted lamb in bacon, and then covered it with chocolate.
    Because I could.
    There's also video...because we could.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited December 2011
    Obesity is contagious.

Between 1971 and 2003, there was a study called the Framingham Hearty study that looked at the social ties between participants. What they found was that obese people tended to have obese friends, siblings, and spouses. While this doesn't seem surprising at first, the timing of the weight gain showed that this was not all that was happening.

Instead people were becoming obese after their friends and family members had become obese. To put it another way, obesity was spreading through social networks like a virus. The study showed that if your friends are obese, you have a 57% change of becoming obese yourself. If you have a sibling who's obese, you have a 40% chance of becoming obese. If your spouse is obese, you have a 37% chance. Social learning influences how much, and what we eat.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • Makes sense because you eat with the people you are close to.
  • edited December 2011
    Obesity is contagious.

Between 1971 and 2003, there was a study called the Framingham Hearty study that looked at the social ties between participants. What they found was that obese people tended to have obese friends, siblings, and spouses. While this doesn't seem surprising at first, the timing of the weight gain showed that this was not all that was happening.

Instead people were becoming obese after their friends and family members had become obese. To put it another way, obesity was spreading through social networks like a virus. The study showed that if your friends are obese, you have a 57% change of becoming obese yourself. If you have a sibling who's obese, you have a 40% chance of becoming obese. If your spouse is obese, you have a 37% chance. Social learning influences how much, and what we eat.
    Pete, we can't be friends any more. I don't wanna catch the fat.

Completely unrelated, I made the most amazing spaghetti sauce tonight.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I usually came into the city from 490
    I forget the highway sometimes in Rochester, just because it's a terrifying arctic tundra for much of the year.
  • edited December 2011
    Never mind, I can't scroll to the last page.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Obesity models as though it's caused by nothing more than too much food.
    Duh. Hard to be obese when your starving...

Their weight simulator is pretty neat to use. It seems really complicated when you're first reading all the screens about how it works, but it's actually pretty straight forward. Apparently if I add walking for 30 minutes a day and cut myself down to 2000 calories I can get down to my fighting weight of 150 lbs in half a year. I think I'm gonna give this a go. 150 lbs by my birthday!
  • edited May 2012
    This is called the engineer's diet. Your body consumes approximately 2000 -- 2500 kcal per day, even if you do nothing more than sleep. Eat less than that and let the laws of physics do the rest.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • In other news, I just listened to this on my commute and NPR: Jet-lagged By Your Social Calendar, Better Check Your Waistline.

Basically: get proper sleep! (Duh and/or hello.)
  • Just discovered something interesting. The normal American definition of overweight is a BMI over 25 and obese is over 30. The Japanese definition of overweight is a BMI of 23 and obese is a mere 25.

So according to the Japanese I'm borderline obese.
  • The Japanese standard is presumably designed for the genetic and environmental factors that affect Japanese people, though; it's probably not that relevant to you.
  • Rym, how many fat Japanese people did you see in Japan?
    One. Exactly one.

People were staring at him either laughing or saying things that amounted to "that poor man." He really, really stood out, and caught everyone's attention.
    One. Exactly one.

People were staring at him either laughing or saying things that amounted to "that poor man." He really, really stood out, and caught everyone's attention.
    And how fat would you define him? There's various levels of fat.

I would also ask other people if accepting fatness/obesity is an occurrence within the United States that has increased our obesity rate.
    One. Exactly one.

That might have been partly due to the fact that he was wearing really dorky hello kitty sweatpants. That poor man.

He was the amount of fat you would not think twice on if you encountered it in some American Walmart. Less fat than many obese people I have seen in America. He was not on a scooter or anything, and just unhealthily obese, not remarkably so.
  • I generally measure obesity on a scale on "Jiggles When Laughing obesity" to "Trombone Theme Song obesity," with "Pronounces B's Weirdly obesity" in the middle. Where did he fall on that scale?
  • My entire body jiggles when I laugh, and I'm just underweight.
  • No, no, I don't mean shaking with hearty laughter. I mean that their abdominal girth jiggles in a way akin to a jello mold on a shaker tray.
  • A wut on a what now? Are you high?
  • A wut on a what now? Are you high?
    No. You know, a jello (jelly, here in the UK) mold. A bunch of agarose, fruit flavoring, and sugar mixed with water and allowed to set into a decorative shape. A shaker tray is a device used in biology labs; it's a vibrating tray that you put samples on to introduce kinetic energy and thoroughly mix them.
    This is called the engineer's diet. Your body consumes approximately 2000 -- 2500 kcal per day, even if you do nothing more than sleep. Eat less than that and let the laws of physics do the rest.
    The engineer's/hacker's diet works amazingly well. I have lost five inches (going on six) off of my waste just by following those guidelines.