This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beautification: Products. Recommendations. Comments. Questions.

Comments

• Old Spice Pure Sport.
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah, you have to be careful when buying "just deoderant". Some of the things that are just deoderant actually work. Others are hippy crystals that don't actually do anything. If it's made by a big brand name and includes chemicals such as dipropylene glycol, then it's almost definitely legit.
    Yeah, I figured. The one I use right now is powder-based and works well; maybe I'll give Old Spice a try once I'm done travelling and follow Yosho's advice that men should smell like barbershops, especially since everyone else seems to dig it.

Scott, what hair clippers do you have again? I'm 70% sure I'm going to shave my head when I get home and I'd like to start looking into what I need. Also, I need something to manage my beard and sideburns anyway.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2012
    The thing about aluminum deposits in the brains of Alzheimer's victims? Who ever thought that was from deodorant-anti-perspirant? I like regular deodorant because it doesn't block your pores and is simpler. I recommend the Arm and Hammer stuff.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • The thing about aluminum deposits in the brains of Alzheimer's victims? Who ever thought that was from deodorant-anti-perspirant?
    Idiots always surprise us in new and ever-more-stupid ways.
  • Well, antiperspirant is likely a major source of aluminum exposure for most people in the US (along with dye and certain food additives). Aluminum cookware is not that common any more, nor are other non-transient sources of exposure.

So, if one were looking to figure out where said aluminum was coming from, it's at least a starting point. The trouble is that no one who's afraid of that bothers to read followup studies that found no direct evidence of a causal link. ;^)
  • Um, aluminum cans? Aluminosilicate clay? People are exposed to planty of aluminum they don't think about.

Also, I wish plain deodorant worked for me. I have a hard enough time staying stink-free with antiperspirant, but it is still better than deodorant. (I tried regular deodorant for 3+ years so this is not a "body getting used to it" thing.) I just have weird body chemistry. There's probably something wrong with me that makes me sweat a lot. My feet and underarms sweat constantly regardless of temp.
  • Um, aluminum cans? Aluminosilicate clay? People are exposed to planty of aluminum they don't think about.
    True, but not in forms typically able to be absorbed by the human body. I'm fairly sure aluminum from cans doesn't leach into soda, and said cans almost always have non-metallic labels that prevent most hand contact with the aluminum surface for prolonged periods.

Salts of aluminum are more readily absorbed than pure metalic aluminum as far as I am aware, and I have seen several studies showing elevated levels in the blood and urine correlated directly to antiperspirant use. (Whether or not there is a deleterious effect thereof I make no comment).

• There's one problem with everything you just said; you just got done saying how the people who think the aluminum in antiperspirant gets into your brain don't look into the science.

I should have been more clear; I don't think those are actual sources of brain aluminum. But that's not to say the general public doesn't have LOTS of places to point a finger.
  • Buying a bottle of this absolutely brilliant aftershave the moment I return to the US.
  • shampoo: pantene 2in1 smoothing + occasional no-SLS shampoo
    conditioner: neutrogena triple moisture mask
    body wash: dove bar soap
    body cream: neutrogena light sesame formula
    fash wash: origins checks and balances and a little silicone scrubby thing from sephora
    face cream: neutrogena soothing face cream
    toothpaste: squigle (or anything w/o SLS and w/ xylitol + fluoride)
    mouthwash: closys antiseptic (pre-brush) fluoridated ACT (post-brush)
    deodorant: axe antiperspirant, some dark green color

makeup: stress. hahaha.

I've got eyelids like those coin-toss games at the arcade.
    Occasionally, a little brown eye stick/shadow, but it rarely stays, along with a hint of mineral blush I got as a sampler. Whenever I do that, I get compliments, but I'm sure that correlates with the amount of free time I have & how much sleep I've gotten.

My worst habit is not doing the above. Many nights I'm too tired to do more than 2-3 of those things, and it shows. When I follow the regimen, body is happy. The 2in1 shampoo makes my hair thin out, so I have to switch it out with something gentler once in a while.

I've tried all kinds of deodorant, AP, no AP, salt, random hippie shit. The only thing that works for my armpit waterpark is the heavily scented guy stuff.
  • I've used deodorant all through my teenage years. At some point during college, I didn't need to use it anymore I haven't used deodorant since.
  • edited May 2012
    in case you've been living under a rock...

Post edited by no fun girl on
  • LOL!
  • My rough routines -

Rapid -
    Shower, APC wash, Brush teeth. Throw on clothes and boots, cross myself(Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch check) grab bag, out the door and I'm into the street. Time, seven minutes give or take from rise to on the run.

Regular -
    Shower. Every second day or going somewhere, wash hair, dry hair shampoo for nice-ness. Brush teeth in shower during conditioner and Washing self step. Wash ALL the bits. Shave or touch up beard as applicable, Safety razor if going somewhere, electric trimmer/scissors if either trimming beard, or not going somewhere specific/nice. Trim stray hair if nessassary. Quickly comb beard if present. If hot day, apply a little anti-antiperspirant and a splash of Bay Rum. Clothes, Boots and Cross check, glance check bag contents and schedule, hit the toe.

15-20 minutes, woah to go.

Event/special occasion -
    Shower, Wash hair. Brush teeth in shower, as above. Wash all bits. Trim stray hair if needed. Shave, Straight razor. Scent-less or low-scent aftershave. Visual check. Clothing as necessary(Usually one of suit selection), fancy platypus toe boots. Cologne as appropriate for weather, time of year, and event - I have a selection. It's important, fuck you. Brush hair, bung some goopy shit in it if necessary. Tie tie if required - it's always required. Swear, untie tie, retie tie to better length. Silk, always. Visual check, scent check, equipment check - traditional or no, always nice to be prepared, and I can't take my bag. You'd be astounded as to what you can fit in a good suit without it showing. Vary equipment by event as necessary. Cross check, final visual check, formally commence swag, and off I fuck.

About 30-40 minutes, depending.
  • You'd be astounded as to what you can fit in a good suit without it showing.
    This. On an average day, I'll have my phone, wallet, keys, lighter, cigarette case, metrocard and employee ID, business card case, pocket square, pocket knife, and a kindle. That's without carrying any kind of bag or briefcase with me.

• You'd be astounded as to what you can fit in a good suit without it showing.
    This. On an average day, I'll have my phone, wallet, keys, lighter, cigarette case, metrocard and employee ID, business card case, pocket square, pocket knife, and a kindle. That's without carrying any kind of bag or briefcase with me.
    My usual is phone, wallet, leatherman and/or knife, Two lighters(zippo and a tiny little bic for both if my zippo runs out of flints or fuel, or those "Can I get a light?" moments, because chasing my zippo back, even quietly, is annoying), card case, Pocket square either ciggarette case or slim tobacco pouch(and sometimes a cigar cutter), at least two pens and my commonplace book. I could fit more, but I usually don't need more.

I must say, there is somewhat of an art to concealment, and It is an amusing challenge to fit as much as possible in without it showing.

• Yeah, I'm getting tired of auburn highlights. I think I'm going to get rid of my current ones and go for one big grey stripe. Yes, I know it's like Rogue. I'm not trying to be her, I am just curious of what it will look like.
  • Yeah, I'm getting tired of auburn highlights. I think I'm going to get rid of my current ones and go for one big grey stripe. Yes, I know it's like Rogue. I'm not trying to be her, I am just curious of what it will look like.
    Photoshops for testing!
  • Yeah, there is a website that can help with that I think. I don't want to buy software.
  • Gents: Invest in this and thank me later. This shit is magical.
  • Gents: Invest in this and thank me later. This shit is magical.
    Already got one. And yes, it's pretty much the best thing ever.
  • I tend to agree with TheWhaleShark on the makeup thing. That's pretty much as much of this thread I've read so far. For me, I use:

Deodorant- using Old Spice classic currently but my all time favorite is Playmaker. I love the scent, and it's not "too much" for me but still leaves me smelling nice.

Body Wash- I tend to circle around the Old Spice line and try out new scents but I have to say, I always come back to Playmaker or one of the "16 hour odor blocker" ones, because they both smell nice. And no, I haven't really notice a different in the odor blocking one. I do however like the moisturizing one in the OS line that sort of looks creamy and somewhat yogurt-y. Very nice smell, love the look and texture, and great for winter because I occasionally have bouts of dry skin.

Shampoo- I use both the 2-and-1 Head & Shoulders and the anti-itch (not at the same nor do I really ever have 2 bottles of shampoo at once), depending on how I'm feeling at the store. I like them both and neither really makes a difference, although the longer my hair is the more inclined I am to get the 2n1.

Shave cream- I use whatever type of Aveeno natural shave cream that happens to be at the store I go to. It feels very nice and haven't had any problems with it. If it happens to not be at the store I'm at I immediately go for some Barbasol. Let's face it- shits classy.

Razors- I used the Gillette Fusion ProGlide for a long time with great results, but being on a huge budget as a student, and having to replace blades constantly, I am just using some cheap disposables that have lasted me a while and do 70% of what the ProGlide did, so not complaining there.

Other than that, I tweeze my eyebrows just to keep them decent (no fake-ass shapes here), obviously groom down there, and occasionally trim my underarm hair to about .5-.75 of an inch, just to keep shit manageable under there, it also helps out with sweat and general cleanliness. Feels good man. That's about all I can think of right now, no aftershave or conditioner or anything like that for me. I like to keep things super simple.
    Gents: Invest in this and thank me later. This shit is magical.
    I think I'll buy that soon, looks awesome and my razor is shit anyways.

• I FOUND A NEW DEODORANT.

Details to come as I test it out thoroughly, but it's a real deodorant (no antiperspirant bullshit in it, while simultaneously actually being anti-bacterial) that has a faint scent of orange peels.
  • edited August 2012
    I use classic old spice. It's antibacterial by virtue of containing motherfucking alcohol, bitches.

Using antibacterial agents in your armpits sounds like a great way to clear a nice noncompetitive plane for MRSA, to me...

Almost anything by Norelco (excluding most of the sub-$50 crap they sell in Walmart and Target) is magic, although as a brand it used to be even better than it is now.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Urban Decay is best makeup. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I got some of their powder, and it is super nice and light. Also, the people who run it seem to really like animals, make all their products cruelty free, and have a "bring your dog to work" policy at their offices.
  • Old Spice classic is the way to go.
  • Another Urban Decay person! Yay! I mainly just use their eye shadows. The Naked palettes have so many cool colors.

Also, that's very cool to know they are animal friendly types.
  • Old Spice classic is the way to go.
    It's increasingly difficult to find. I'm still mad about the loss of the round stick packaging. >:-(
  • i can't wear skin makeup. it feels like epic makeup time.