This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So Who Has A Tumblr?

Comments

• http://christfuckband.tumblr.com/

This is how I've been wasting time recently.
    You are amazing. "Ablative Baby Battle Armor" is amazing.
  • http://christfuckband.tumblr.com/

I like the alliteration myself. But also this:

"it is the ultimate protection
    provided by caesarean section"

is genius.
  • edited July 2013
    Fixed on Nun Shredder 2 at least. I don't really care about any of the other instances.
    "Grammatical Holocaust" is a good song title.
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to rhyme "Holocaust"? This has come up more than once.
    http://christfuckband.tumblr.com/

Thanks. My personal favourites so far are "Murderplant", "Robopope" and "I Hope you get Flesh Eating Bacteria in your Scrotum". The idea is that eventually I will farm the best of these for new album material.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Do you mind if I do a recording of one of these songs?
  • Mind? I would be overjoyed! Which one do you have in mind?
  • Do you have any idea how hard it is to rhyme "Holocaust"? This has come up more than once.
    Enjambment is your friend.

accost
    lost
    bossed
    cost
    caustic
    sauced
    glossed
    tossed
    embossed
    Costco
    apostolus (late Latin root of "apostle)
    Rasta
    pasta

You can also bullshit ryhme on words like "loss" or "gloss."

I believe in you! You can make this atrocity happen.
  • edited July 2013
    I try to avoid using rhyming programs except when I'm really stuck; it's too easy to fall back on scanning the list for words that would fit and losing something in the process. The most recent song was written leaning heavy on Rhymezone and it shows; the meter fucking sucks on "Food Forest Carnivore", not that it's usually great. Normally I give each song a test growl over some simple tracks I have lying around, but I couldn't manage it with that one, and I already have a preference for off-kilter meters that give individual words greater emphasis.
  • To be fair, it's a song called "Grammatical Holocaust." It's all about poor writing technique!
  • I don't usually use rhyming dictionaries for the main writing of a song, but I'll often check in with one when doing re-writes or editing. I'll need to say something punchier, or I have an image but need a word that fits better.

For example, I'll have:

something something A
    something something B

And I'll be trying to think of a word for B that rhymes with A, but what I really need is a word for A that rhymes with B. Rhyming dictionaries make this step to find a good synonym waaaaaay easier, but it's not good to rely on this or else your song will go down the easiest path, not the best path.
  • When you can't find a good rhyme is it OK to change to a foreign language or is that seen as cheating?
  • edited July 2013
    I tend to find inspiration best when I stick a "filler" word in the spot I'm missing, and come back to it when I've written the rest of the piece. So I will often start off with a thesaurus or rhyming dictionary, stick something in there, and then come back and figure out how to really say it.
    When you can't find a good rhyme is it OK to change to a foreign language or is that seen as cheating?
    Depends. It can be ham-fisted if it's too obvious - though you can use that to your advantage and write that way purposefully.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited July 2013
    To be fair, it's a song called "Grammatical Holocaust." It's all about poor writing technique!
    http://christfuckband.tumblr.com/post/56158479367/grammatical-holocaust-22-02-13

Here's what I've got. Words about words tend to be really hard to rhyme, ironically.
  • To be fair, it's a song called "Grammatical Holocaust." It's all about poor writing technique!
    http://christfuckband.tumblr.com/post/56158479367/grammatical-holocaust-22-02-13

Here's what I've got. Words about words tend to be really hard to rhyme, ironically.
    Brilliance.

• Mind? I would be overjoyed! Which one do you have in mind?
    Robopope or Evolutionary Dead End are appealing. I'll have to try some things out.
  • Enjambment is your friend.
    Huh. I didn't know there was a word for this.
  • Enjambment is your friend.
    Huh. I didn't know there was a word for this.
    The other option is end-stopping. And of course, medial caesurae can still provide stoppage of a sort in the middle of a line, so you can use enjambment and caesurae together to get all sorts of rhymed syntax to fall into place.
  • Or re-arrange the sentence / come up with a different way to say something. As someone who caught a bit of Chaucer disease once, pushing a rhyme grinds my gears.
  • The four eng-
    ineers
    wore orange
    brassieres.

I love how you switch rhyme scheme half way through the song. I can't tell if it's part of the joke or not.

I love how you switch rhyme scheme half way through the song. I can't tell if it's part of the joke or not.
    I do that quite often. I could make the excuse that I've seen it happen in a few songs to mark shifts in tone or pace in the song, but really it's just because I place funny several notches over actual quality.
  • Lyrics I actually recorded (I changed the chorus to be from the Robopope's viewpoint, with the verses by the cardinals) with added Gregorian(ish) chant in Latin:

the silver hammer has come down
    three times on his holy crown
    there's no good time for a stroke
    we cardinals prepare our smoke

but
    wait
    what if we
    pour hot steel
    in holy see
    our modern tools and
    an ancient rite
    cyborg father
    arise tonight!

ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE
    MOTHERFUCKING
    ROBOPOPE
    NOW BACK AFTER DEATH'S DISMISSAL
    FEAR MY HEAT SEEKING MISSAL
    ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE
    I'M THE MOTHERFUCKING
    ROBOPOPE
    NOW YOUR CYBERNETIC HIGH PRIEST
    MUST BE GREASED
    ROBOPOPE

powered now by nuclear fission
    he leaves st. peter's on a mission
    to bring the world into submission
    and reinstate the inquisition

armed with fire and gun and blade
    the infidels will be unmade
    unbelievers be afraid of
    his mechanical crusade

ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE
    MOTHERFUCKING
    ROBOPOPE
    I'LL HEAR YOUR CONFESSION
    THEN RESPOND WITH AGGRESSION
    ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE
    I'M THE MOTHERFUCKING
    ROBOPOPE
    TIME TO DELIVER SOME MASS
    THEN KICK SOME ASS
    ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE
    ROBOPOPE

occidere omnes homines
    apparatus, apparatus papa.
    mors ad omnes homines.
    mortem a sancto eruca.

Latin to English translation of chant:

death to all humans
    machine, machine pope
    kill all humans
    death by holy rocket

I'll stick the track up on soundcloud for easy sharing next time I get good internet.
  • I can't wait!
  • Oh good god. I gotta get someone to tell me when it's available. LACKEYS ASSEMBLE.
  • I've been refreshing Luke's soundcloud obsessively.
  • I've been refreshing Luke's soundcloud obsessively.
    Oh good god. I gotta get someone to tell me when it's available. LACKEYS ASSEMBLE.
    Ask and ye shall receive:

Robopope (lyrics by Sir Bastard of CHRIStFUCK) - Luke Burrage - Two Minute Pop on Soundcloud.
  • edited July 2013

I cannot handle how amazing this is.
  • That is a pretty fun track.
  • edited July 2013
    I am very glad I have an office at work. Otherwise I would have connected quite a number of weird looks laughing at that.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I have a tumblr. ^.^ ^.^ ^.^

I use it a good bit, but I don't really think about it.
  • Holy shit Luke.