This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Holiday Movies

Comments

• Die Hard
    Muppets Christmas Carol
    Rudolph
    The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
  • I think all of my fav's have been listed, but what the hey, here we go.
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Grinch (the real, Chuck Jones version)
    Scrooged
    Charlie Brown
    Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo
    Johnny Bravo Christmas (if only for Donny Osmand)
    Santa Clause Liberates Nazi-ville
    Billy and Mandy Save Christmas
    Zim Christmas

I end up watching Ed Edd and Eddy's Jingle Jangle Christmas every year. I like how it shows the characters celebrating the season differently, when most shows have everyone celebrate it in the same homogeneous Santa Claus way. If I may put on my hipster glasses for a moment, Hoops and Yo-Yo Ruin Christmas is actually really awesome. It's like SFW South Park.
  • Zim Christmas
    Oh this. This so much.
  • If you're going to bring in things that aren't technically movies then Here is Greenwood Christmas episode is unbeatable.
  • I forgot to mention MST3K's rendition of Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.
  • Couldn't get into SCCTM. I didn't watch the MST3K one, but I watched it with JTVH, and I usually enjoy her jokes more than theirs.

Addendum to earlier list: Star Wars Christmas.
  • edited December 2011
    Here are my faves:
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)
    The Shop Around the Corner
    The Muppet Christmas Carol
    The Snowman
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Dead
    Edward Scissorhands
    White Christmas
    Scrooged
    Hogfather
    Love Actually
    Brazil

Has anyone ever seen Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale? I've heard of it and was wondering if it was as fun as it sounds.

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It's not a movie, but if I was at Disneyland, I would totally ride Haunted Mansion Holiday and it's a small world holiday a lot.
  • Arthur Christmas is pretty awesome :D
  • Arthur Christmas is pretty awesome :D
    This, this so very much. It has got to be one of the best Christmas movies I've seen in a while, perfect for putting me in the Xmas Mood. I think the trailer makes it look worse, but seriously, if it's still out, see this movie.
  • Muppet Christmas Carol is something of a tradition these past few years in my family.
  • Oh shit. I forgot about Hogfather.
  • Last night I watched Home Alone. It's been many years, perhaps over a decade since I last saw it and the movie has definitely aged in regards to technology, but was still enjoyable.

I plan on watching Jingle All the Way sometime this week.
  • Jingle all the Way? Are you punishing yourself for some horrible sin?
  • It's a silly holiday comedy with Arnold. It's in no way a high quality film, but for entertainment. I haven't seen it in years and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

• I'd like to add in Clone High's Snowflake Day episode.

"Jerky balls, jerky balls
    Balls of meat
    Jerked so sweet"-JFK
  • Oh shit. I forgot about Hogfather.
    I really enjoyed that one! It was surprisingly touching!

• Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is pretty awesome. I remember having it on VHS as a kid, but now I have to watch it on YouTube.
  • Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is pretty awesome. I remember having it on VHS as a kid, but now I have to watch it on YouTube.
    There was a year I watched Elmo Saves Christmas far too many times. It's not a particularly good movie/special/whatever-it-is. But I never got tired of Harvey Fierstein's portrayal of the Easter Bunny.

• Jim Henson's: The Christmas Toy
    There should be Chanukah movies. 8 Crazy Nights doesn't count in this thread as it was not a good movie.
    There should be Chanukah movies. 8 Crazy Nights doesn't count in this thread as it was not a good movie.
    I like that movie!

My favorite Chanukah movie has to be The Hebrew Hammer. Basically, Shaft if he was an Orthodox Jew.
  • That's on Netflix Streaming. It looked funny.
    It is most humorous. ^_^
  • Adding to the queue.
    It is most humorous. ^_^
  • The "Holiday Favorites" category on Netflix streaming is a lot like when a store says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." They aren't actually any more inclusive, they still just sell Christmas stuff, but they have the one little broken shelf in the back with some Chanuka stuff. Also, Jews, get easier to spell holidays. It took me three tries to spell that.
  • Every time I wish any Jewish friends a happy holiday via email or Facebook or whatever, I always end up apologizing pre-emptively in case I misspell it.
  • Shabbat shalom, motherfuckers!
  • Since there are a bunch of acceptable romanizations of Chanukah, chances are you will get lucky and hit upon one of them as you type.