This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Merry Christmas: 2011 messages of good cheer or Grinch-hood

2»

Comments

• I went to a Christmas concert performed by my girlfriend's duo. It was in a church, of course, but instead of readings from the Bible, the lessons were readings from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Scrooge is the real reason for the season!
  • You mean the Star Wars Holiday Special is a real thing?!
    Anyone who still believes Lucas "lost it" as years went on just doesn't get it; Lucas got lucky because of studio restrictions on his art. The holiday special is painful proof.
  • You mean the Star Wars Holiday Special is a real thing?!
    Anyone who still believes Lucas "lost it" as years went on just doesn't get it; Lucas got lucky because of studio restrictions on his art. The holiday special is painful proof.
    ??? Lucas didn't have much of anything to do with the making of the Holiday Special. Also, he knows that that was a train wreck. When Lucas really messes up, he doesn't get it. That's why the only Star Wars things made since '99 have been connected to the prequels. He's trying to convince us they're good. He doesn't do that with the special.

• MERRY CHRISTMAS, FLESHBAGS

• ??? Lucas didn't have much of anything to do with the making of the Holiday Special.
    I do believe this and many other of that era's holiday specials were basically produced by variety show groups, who didn't necessarily have any real relationship with the source/franchised materials. This clip from Wikipedia seems to make sense:
    Later, in a May 2005 interview with StaticMultimedia.com, Lucas was asked if the film had soured him on working in television. He replied: "The special from 1978 really didn't have much to do with us, you know. I can't remember what network it was on, but it was a thing that they did. We kind of let them do it. It was done by... I can't even remember who the group was, but they were variety TV guys. We let them use the characters and stuff and that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but you learn from those experiences."
    All those variety shows looked alike, and I seem to recall there almost seemed to be a stock set of actors you'd most likely see.
  • Oh jesus christ.
  • That's horribly disturbing. What have you done?!?!?
  • edited December 2011
    Fuuuuuck. What did I just watch?

Fred-elf was pretty cool, though.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Holy shit I just watched that. That was pretty wonderful.

However, I would never be making pumpkin pie. :P Great job there, Sonic.
  • Ahahahaha! Victor elf looks unfazed.
  • Mommy and Daddy didn't get a lot of presents this year. For some reason, the relatives bought Rylin enough presents to quite literally built a gift fort around her swing on Christmas morning. :D (Baby pics on G+.)

Lisa's family did catch the copious hints I've been dropping for months now about that Keurig one-cup coffeemaker I've been lusting after, so I am pleased to report I am fully caffeinated. Also, a four-book GoT set will keep me busy on the terlit for months to come (that is the only quiet place to which I may now escape and read).
  • edited December 2011
    D:

*runs away*

LMAO, its funny but so weird to see that! LMAO
    Post edited by Viga on