This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Stabby Things!

Comments

• As I said I use the khukuri for most stuff, it does the job remarkably well.
    It's not that hard, it's just a bit different of a technique than most knives. Honestly, if you don't have a Chakmak, then your easiest bet it just to get a hand-held sharpening stone, instead of trying to use a stone or a grind-wheel. Use your thumb to keep distance, and your hand position from there to keep the angle.
  • You live in the city, right? Just go to the Broadway Panhandler. They will take care of you.
    Ooh, I will go there.
  • I was confused by your Broadway Panhandler for a bit. Thought there was some sort of official panhandler instead of a cookery store where they handler pots.
  • Hmm, maybe I'll wait on the Opinel for now. Does anyone have any recommendations for a real small pocket knife? I'm not looking for a keychain blade, but just something small and sturdy that would work well for a quick little package opening or for some more intricate work where a big knife wouldn't be suitable.
  • Hmm, maybe I'll wait on the Opinel for now. Does anyone have any recommendations for a real small pocket knife? I'm not looking for a keychain blade, but just something small and sturdy that would work well for a quick little package opening or for some more intricate work where a big knife wouldn't be suitable.
    The little Ken onion knives like yosho linked are pretty good.

• edited January 2012
    I would, but it turns out assisted opening knives are illegal to carry in Michigan now.
    "Any person who shall have in his possession any knife
    having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
    blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
    pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
    be guilty of a misdemeanor..."
    Plus some of those Ken Onion knives are a bit out of my price range.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited January 2012
    Plus some of those Ken Onion knives are a bit out of my price range.
    I don't know what your price range is, but looking around, the Leek and Chive models are both in the 20-odd dollar range.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I would, but it turns out assisted opening knives are illegal to carry in Michigan now.
    Switch blades and spring/gravity/assisted knives have been illegal in most of the US for a long time now. Most states also restrict the size of knife you can carry to under 18 in. or so.
    Also I'm curious what y'all need to carry any significant sort of knife for. I've found that since I've left the scouts, where I used a knife regularly, having anything more than the little inch blade on my multitool to be both not worth the price to buy or the effort to carry.

• I don't know what your price range is, but looking around, the Leek and Chive models are both in the 20-odd dollar range.
    Well a lot of the ones I kept seeing were more around the $50 price but I'll keep looking.
    Switch blades and spring/gravity/assisted knives have been illegal in most of the US for a long time now. Most states also restrict the size of knife you can carry to under 18 in. or so.
    Well, Switchblades are illegal to carry in most states but in some you can own them. And it varies a lot from state to state. Assisted opening knives have been legal in a lot of states because technically you aren't pushing a button to open it so its not an automatic knife/switchblade. Here in Michigan you can't have a blade over 3 inches if you have intent to stab someone or something like that. You just need a good reason to have it. I guess if its under 3 inches you can stab people all day long haha.

Also I'm curious what y'all need to carry any significant sort of knife for. I've found that since I've left the scouts, where I used a knife regularly, having anything more than the little inch blade on my multitool to be both not worth the price to buy or the effort to carry.
    I use a knife almost every day. Mainly opening things, and just random crap. Even a little blade on a multi-tool is probably fine, but I never leave the house without something. A lot of it is just personal preference. A lot of knives are just more convenient to open real quick, and provide a better grip than a multitool.

• I bought a new Translucent Sapphire blue Swiss Army Knife, and I love it. But its too pretty to use haha. Luckly I also bought a couple others on ebay for like $4 a piece that should come in a few days. I think I have a problem.
  • Just hangin out...
  • Just hangin out...
    With a fifteen-inch blade already in your hand...
  • Just hangin out...
    Against a stationary cardboard cutout...

• Just hangin out...

Hey man, you get jumped by a cardboard cutout in an alley one time, and you never forget it.

• Oh right there's the 121 foot rule video too:
  • Just hangin out...

Hey man, you get jumped by a cardboard cutout in an alley one time, and you never forget it.

You gotta move.

• edited February 2012
    for all its flaws, this sucker is useful. it just hangs out on my belt loop until i need it.

for reference, that's a carabiner-type clip.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Spyderco finally put the Chicago back into production, so I can have an excellent knife that meets my city's dumb-as-hell knife length laws.
  • I think when Dave and Joel we're on their 21 Foot Rule kick it was one of the best series of podcasts in the entire internet.
  • edited April 2012
    I think when Dave and Joel we're on their 21 Foot Rule kick it was one of the best series of podcasts in the entire internet.
    Just hangin' out...

Srsly though, the idea of knives for self-defense is mostly bullshit. No one carries a parang in public, and if you try to fight with a folder, you'll probably just get beaten or stabbed at least half-to-death, or wind up in prison when you do that to the other guy.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2012
    Spyderco finally put the Chicago back into production, so I can have an excellent knife that meets my city's dumb-as-hell knife length laws.
    I don't know about the chicago, just since its 440c bladesteel. I mean its probably pretty decent but you could get one of the UK penknives for around the same price and get a better bladesteel (s30v).

Srsly though, the idea of knives for self-defense is mostly bullshit. No one carries a parang in public, and if you try to fight with a folder, you'll probably just get beaten or stabbed at least half-to-death, or wind up in prison when you do that to the other guy.
    Yeah, for sure. I think if you are seriously in an area where you'd need a knife for self defense then you should probably buy something more practical like pepper spray, taser, gun+ccw. Unless you have training you'll probably just get the knife taken away from you and get stabbed with it. Maybe if you had a serrated blade with a blunt tip that might be alright, but still you'd probably be better off with something more reasonable for self defense.

On an unrelated note I just got a Leatherman Wave a few weeks ago for my birthday and I love this thing. I haven't used it extensively but I love the one handed opening blades and the bit driver.
  • edited April 2012
    Spyderco finally put the Chicago back into production, so I can have an excellent knife that meets my city's dumb-as-hell knife length laws.
    I don't know about the chicago, just since its 440c bladesteel. I mean its probably pretty decent but you could get one of the UK penknives for around the same price and get a better bladesteel (s30v).
    True, except it is pretty difficult to find a 2" leaf blade with a better steel that is under ~$100. I'm looking, but not having much luck.

EDIT: Apparently I can carry a 2.5" knife since I'm over 19. That gives me a lot more options. Still probably going with a Spyderco, though. Most of the steels I'm looking at in that range are either VG-10 or ZDP-189; I don't know a whole lot about blade steel. Anyone have advice?
  • edited April 2012
    Well, I was recommending the Spyderco UK pen knives but it looks like most of them are just under 3 inches. this one is 2.563 inches so you'd probably be ok to carry it.
    edit- err didn't realize the price on that one.
  • this one is 2.563 inches so you'd probably be ok to carry it.
    You're not very familiar with the CPD, are you? ~_^

Anyway, I found this Dragonfly2 which is 2.25", $80, and cut from VG-10. Thoughts?
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah, but thats a locking blade which is illegal to carry in the UK isn't it? Or are you mainly concerned about when you get back home? On amazon the dragonfly 2 is only like $40ish, so don't take the prices on spyderco's website as the actual price. I'd also look at the Spyderco Byrd Crow if you don't need as high of a quality steel. It's got 8cr13MoV steel which is good though needs sharpening a bit more often. The Spyderco Ambitious Is also worth looking at if you want a more traditional Spyderco design for pretty cheap.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm getting it when I come back to Chicago, which is why I'm going by Chicago Police Department standards. I plan to put this thing through it's goddamned paces (I'm an UL backpacker and kayaker, too), so I'll probably get something in VG-10 (Dragonfly2 is looking mighty fine) or S30V.

Now it's time to fine a multitool. Pocket-sized, feature packed, and light is the name of the game. Probably going in for the Leatherman Juice Xe6.
  • What sort of things are you planning on doing with it? I'm just afraid that the Dragonfly might be a bit small for a lot of outdoors stuff. If you could find a knife with a small blade but bigger grip, it might not be as much of an issue.
  • edited April 2012
    Everything from cutting zip ties and paracord, to gutting fish and rabbits, to cleaning my fingernails or slicing apples when I'm around town. As such, I'm also weighing the need for a serrated edge in an outdoor blade.

I'm a very, very big fan of this inexpensive slip-joint and also the Dragonfly for EDC (probably the Dragonfly, since I need a locking blade), but now I'm considering that the Endura4 will be better for my long-term expeditions.

Still, I know other ultralighters who go 6+ days with just a Leatherman Micra, so my EDC already far ouweighs what'd actually go on-trail with me.
  • Yeah, I think you're probably best off getting a decent street-legal blade for your every day carry knife and then getting whatever knife you want for your outdoors outings.