This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Stabby Things!

13»

Comments

• Yeah, I think you're probably best off getting a decent street-legal blade for your every day carry knife and then getting whatever knife you want for your outdoors outings.
  • I agree, but ultimately outdoor blade choice is going to depend on the weight of the item. Could be that I go with a small knife to shave ounces, anyway.
  • Well, what sort of weight cap do you have?
  • For an outdoors blade, I'd go with a fixed blade, and use a folder for backup or quick tasks.
  • Also, I will never know why this thread is in the anime section.
  • Well, what sort of weight cap do you have?
    20lbs combined (that's the weight of my backpack plus all contents) not including clothing on my body.

Pocket and belt-worn items counting towards weight are a matter of intense debate among some ultralighters, on which I generally lean toward the "doesn't count, but stay light" side, which makes a lightweight fixed blade with a belt sheath is a very alluring option. Most of my short hikes and kayak trips don't really call for anything bigger or better than a 4-5" folder with an H-1 blade to keep rust away, but my little brother and I are planning a thru-hike of the App Trail right now (three months start to finish, ultralight packs and planned resupply drops), and quality fixed blades are definitely on the pack list for that.
  • edited April 2012
    Also, I will never know why this thread is in the anime section.
    Probably because I am dumb and probably mis-clicked anime when I meant to click everything else.

As for WUB, the outdoorsman in me wants to say just get a classic Buck Hunting knife, but its probably a tad heavy for what you're doing and you probably wouldn't want to get something like that all dinged up. What sort of price range are you looking at for a fixed blade? The Gerber Profile looks like a good no-frills fixed blade. Or you could get one of the Mora variants like this military one.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited July 2012
    I'm thinking about buying the KA-BAR Warthog since its short enough to not cause any legal troubles. Its AUS-8A steel which isn't too bad as far as I know and plus its only like $12. Do any of you guys have any experience with KA-BAR knives?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Had an unexpected new pick up today. I ended up at the merchandise outlet, basically a junk store/closeout store. Well I didn't see much but I kept checking the glass case just in case there was anything I missed. Well I looked again right as I left and noticed a cold steel box. I picked up a Cold Steel American Lawman for $17. They had it marked $20 but everything was 20% off today. So far I really like it. I haven't used it much but it'll shave paper crazy-thing and it has a really solid lockup. Its a little hard to close but I think it will get better as I break it in. The Clip is really strong, and the G10 is really grippy so I may put some electric tape or something under the clip just to keep it from wearing on my pockets.

There were a couple of Kershaw's and a CRKT box in there too but I didn't think they would be quite as good of a deal, plus I don't have a ton of cash at the moment. I'll definitely check again just in case.