This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Theory of Interstellar Trade

edited January 2012 in Science
Some years ago I ran into a paper from 1978 on "The Theory of Interstellar Trade" (wikipedia, pdf). I lol'd and put it into my pdf folder thinking I'd use it for our RPG development and promptly forgot about it. Today I dug it up while looking for some other papers and lo' and behold; the author was Paul Krugman.

Now, whatever you may think about the man's political or economic opinions, it is undeniable that he has accomplished a lot in his life. Read the paper, you don't have to be an economist to enjoy stuff like:
A solution is derived from economic theory, and two useless but true theorems are proved.
or
... then it (the merchant) may have in it's mind (or equivalent organ) ...
The paper was only very recently published in an actual journal and Krugman himself commented
... while the subject of this paper is silly, the analysis actually does make sense. This paper, then, is a serious analysis of a ridiculous subject, which is of course the opposite of what is usual in economics.
Why am I sharing this? Beyond the obvious reason that it is hilarious? Look at what this dude did when he was bored. Look at where he is now. The next time you are bored, get off your ass and do something rediculous and do it well.

Post edited by Dr. Timo on

Comments