This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2012, Year of the Meltdown?

edited January 2012 in News
So we've had years past of celebrity meltdowns, perhaps its now time for normally private personalities having spectacular public meltdowns?

Besides Paul Christoforo, an NYU student recently lost her shit and swan dived off the proverbial deep end, over a seemingly innocuous and simple assignment in her SCA class. The assignment was to do an ethnography report on the Occupy Wall Street movement, a group she seems to have such a deep-seated fear and hatred for she objected to doing the assignment from the get-go. Although an alternate assignment was offered in which she interviewed NYPD involved with the protest due to her complaints about her safety, she failed to complete that and eventually went down to the protest, where she claimed she was almost raped and was jeered at constantly.

Then she decided to Up the ante by sending a complaint to the Dean of SCA, then finally to the President of NYU. They dismissed her claims naturally, and urged her to do the alternate assignment if she felt so threatened, but then poor dear Sarah, long suffering from such liberals, lost her shit and published an open email calling for the professor's immediate termination or resignment. Here is that email, as its too long to post the text here. Suffice it to say, her rambling style, poor grammar, and worse formatting is more suited to a preteen rather than a senior at a prestigious college.

She's been told to stop sending these letters, and has apparently been suspended from school, so she's taken to posting tirades on Facebook, where she claims to have thousands of loyal followers, but I'm willing to bet those people are just the crowd that gathers at any train wreck.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Impressive. That girl seems crazy. I'm not sure this means that 2012 will be more full of these sorts of episodes than any other year. However, the thing that is different, and Scrym touched on before, is that instead of the media being a top-down model where stories are decided in smokey back rooms and then told to us in sanitized blurbs.. we have a a much more organic way of getting information.

So it's far easier for stories like this to find their way to a tiny blog, and then someone on Reddit or whatever spots it and tosses a quick link up and it snowballs. So I'd bet we'll hear more about people being awful and getting publicly shamed for it.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • People always have freaked out. We just get to see them freaking out more on the internet.

Oh, girl, you are a shame to your (and my) alma mater.
  • People always have freaked out. We just get to see them freaking out more on the internet.

I assumed all NYU students were like that, that's why they're sent there. We can wall them all off easier.
  • Interesting: My immediate boss had a total meltdown on Monday and (seemingly unprovoked) proceeded to scream at our general manager for about half an hour, dropping lots of profanity into the mix and accusing him of sexism, mismanagement, poor judgment, etc.

The whole thing happened about four feet from my desk, so that was awkward.

She in some ways has been a good friend for nearly a decade now, but in honestly is pretty incompetent with technology. She also is burned out after doing her job 20 years and is getting very sloppy.

I've been secretly hoping that her tantrum would get her fired, because I want her job... or more accurately, I want her paycheck. So far, the whole thing seems to have blown over, though she was mysteriously "ill" today -- meaning that I had to take everything off her desk for the day.
  • Some "good friend," wishing she is fired.
    Business is business.

To be fair, Jason's been doing a good portion of the work at his job and is proficient with the technology he's using while his boss panics when the mouse cursor has tails dragging across the screen thinking that the mouse is dying.

I don't blame Jason for feeling that way. I'm in a similar boat at my work.
  • edited January 2012
    Some "good friend," wishing she is fired.
    Business is business.
    Yup. When I am routinely doing 75 percent of her workload because she cannot handle it, and when cleaning up her work messes becomes more time consuming than beneficial, and when she does not want to hear/change the things that are wrong, then you've got to balance these things.

There is also the small point that she makes twice my salary while effectively dumping most of her responsibilities in my lap.

Not to mention that the work she does is so poor that I end up redoing a solid portion of it.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I assumed this was going to be about the freakishly warm weather...
  • edited January 2012
    Well, so it is one of those instances where you like someone as a person, but do not think they do good work? Fair Enough.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • The hilarious part is that the girl is trying to blackmail the school into firing the professor by threatening to publish a scathing op-ed in the New York Times about them.

She is threatening to use harsh language if her demands are not met.

I agree, we're seeing more of the crazy because of the internet, and in particular, Twitter. A lot of pro wrestlers and MMA fighters are getting into a lot of trouble over their use of Twitter. One MMA fighter, Miguel Torres, was fired from the UFC because of a stupid line about rape vans he quoted. He ended up being brought back in, but if he hadn't, his career would effectively be over as the company that owns the UFC basically owns the entire major league big money MMA fight game.
    http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7398358/miguel-torres-reinstated-ufc-inappropriate-tweet-related-release
    I won't even go into the insanity of Kevin Nash wanting to have an MMA fight with the Ultimate Warrior. When the Warrior realizes you're nuts, it's time to pack it in.

• edited January 2012
    When the Warrior realizes you're nuts, it's time to pack it in.
    Rarely are words so true.
    Post edited by Apreche on