This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Projects

edited January 2012 in Video Games
I hope there isn't already a post about this, sorry if there is I couldn't find it.

So being a recent CS graduate and I've done a little bit of game development (and by a little I mean not much, I created a networked pong game for my Networking class and me and a couple other students created a WP7 1942-style game). I am interested in getting involved in some bigger online projects but I am having trouble finding any sort of projects. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good forums to sign up for projects, select projects they know of personally, or wants to try and get something going. I really just want to learn more about game development and build my programming skills.

Comments

• github.com
  • Really? Never even thought of that. I will check it out.
  • edited January 2012
    O ad is an in development AoE style RTS that is open source and open to public development. I know they're always looking for help.
    I know Unknown Worlds has an open call or people to build bots for them.
    Beyond those I would suggest looking for modding forums or groups, or just make a mod with some people you know. ModDB may be a good place to start with some of that, but I don't know how easy it is to find projects to help there.
    Post edited by Shiam on
  • Find your nearest IGDA branch and talk to them, volunteer and they will give you work on projects for experience. You missed the GGJ but I know the Philly Branch is going to have a local one in the summer if you are in the area.

Otherwise use social media to get a group and COMPLETE small prototypes for your portfolio.
  • Unity Forums. The engine I use. The forums are a good way to hook up with other devs.
  • edited February 2012
    Unity Forums. The engine I use. The forums are a good way to hook up with other devs.
    I looked at Unity a bit but didn't browse the forums really so I'll definitely check it out.
    Find your nearest IGDA branch and talk to them, volunteer and they will give you work on projects for experience. You missed the GGJ but I know the Philly Branch is going to have a local one in the summer if you are in the area.

Otherwise use social media to get a group and COMPLETE small prototypes for your portfolio.
    Sweet! I'm on the east side of Washington but I'm moving to the Seattle area in a couple months and I'll definitely check this out (even if just to make some nerd friends in the area.)

I spent some time downloading and reading the source for games submitted to Ludum Dare to try and get a better grasp of techniques. Really learning a lot just by looking at a couple of the top games.
    Post edited by MATATAT on