This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ruby Quest - collective role-playing game

edited February 2012 in Everything Else
So my friend sent me a link to "Ruby Quest" and I thought you guys might like it.
Please read it and tell me what you think, I think it's great.

What is Ruby Quest?

“Ruby Quest was a collective role-playing game that took place on the popular 4chan image-posting forums. The creator, Weaver, proposed a game in the style of choose-your-own-adventure stories, presented as pictures drawn like an old-school text adventure game. The community would suggest actions, then Weaver would pick the best choices, pretend the input was accepted and draw the next resulting outcome. It started looking like innocent puzzle-solving with animal characters, but soon enough Weaver's real intentions took over and for the two succeeding months everyone got hooked up by the most frightening survival horror tale ever. ”

Link:http://evilcorporation.com.br/rubyquest

Comments

• horror action castle?
  • What is this "horror action castle" of which you speak?
  • From their website:
    Action Castle is the first in a new line of games called “Parsely Games.” Now you can “GO EAST” and “LIGHT LAMP” with the best of them. Canst thou master Action Castle before death claims thee? Parsely games are inspired by Ye Olde Text Parsers from days of yore, but substituting a live human for the computer parser. Parsely games are small, portable and fun for (almost) all occasions.

• Play them anywhere! On trips, in long lines, camping, at game cons…
    • Play them with anyone! Young or old, expert or total n00b
    • Play with a few friends or 100 random strangers at the same time
  • It is every much a parsely game but with exquisite ms paint style drawings.
  • edited February 2012
    Back when I was a regular fa/tg/uy, I remember Weaver actually posting the Ruby Quest threads, but I never read any of them. I was too busy Venerating the God-Emperor and getting the /tg/ Christmas PDF Sharethread going. Also, anthro didn't appeal to me at the time (that was before I read Blacksad or Usagi Yojimbo) and the threads were always flooded.

Now, that said, I am completely eating up this archive. So awesome; I'd recommend it to anyone with some time to kill.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Today's the day I upload my 13nr 10 minute videos to YouTube. This archive is amazing for such a day.
  • edited February 2012
    Took awhile (three hours or so, actually not too bad for ~900 panels), but I finished it. Defs worth it, it's a shame this guy isn't a programmer or he could make a killer adventure game!
  • Took awhile (three hours or so, actually not too bad for ~900 panels), but I finished it. Defs worth it, it's a shame this guy isn't a programmer or he could make a killer adventure game!
    Meh. Almost entirely linear. Good story does not imply good game.
  • Meh. Almost entirely linear.
    Sometimes the experience is more important than any sort of "Linearity" or "Technical goodness".

• Sometimes the experience is more important than any sort of "Linearity" or "Technical goodness".
    But it isn't really a game at that point by many definitions. It would at best be a mildly-interactive story comic. And in this particular case, I would wager reading the progression is just as entertaining as "playing" it.
  • edited February 2012
    I was talking about his story and illustration. Let someone else worry about the actual game aspect of it. When it was being played, it was pretty similar to a LucasArts adventure (the ending actually differs from the one the author had planned because /tg/ went off-rails), so whatever.

• Sometimes the experience is more important than any sort of "Linearity" or "Technical goodness".
    But it isn't really a game at that point by many definitions. It would at best be a mildly-interactive story comic. And in this particular case, I would wager reading the progression is just as entertaining as "playing" it.
    It's a game by "Definition 3": An enjoyable pastime (though I accept that it's not by definitions 1 and 2), much like Elevator Source or SCP-87. Something you do once for the experience and then put away for a while.
  • I love Ruby Quest, but I can only see it working as a game if it were a visual novel/adventure game along the lines of 999.
  • I read through the whole thing today. I quite liked it, but I'm not sure if it is better as a game than it would be as a visual novel. I will say that part of the amusement was reading 4chan reactions and commands. The number of times they try to get Ruby nekkid was kinda funny.
  • I read through the whole thing today. I quite liked it, but I'm not sure if it is better as a game than it would be as a visual novel. I will say that part of the amusement was reading 4chan reactions and commands. The number of times they try to get Ruby nekkid was kinda funny.
    You should've read the original threads, years ago. 't Was hilarious.
    You should've read the original threads, years ago. 't Was hilarious.
    You still can.
  • You still can.
    Yeah, you can in the literal sense read the threads. But what I meant was reading the threads as they were being made. There's some added entertainment to watching it all unfurl (even though in this case I missed following the threads myself as well).