This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Big Lebowski

edited February 2012 in Everything Else
The dude abides.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on

Comments

• Overrated.
  • Overrated.

Also, ponies.

• Overrated.
    I contend most people who rave about it do so out of habit not out of any grand enjoyment of the film. I put The Big Lebowski up with Midnight Cowboy which is also another great film that it seems to few people have seen. There are films that create worlds or ideas, and there are films that do an equally daunting task of creating a person not just a character.
  • It's a movie that grows on you with the second viewing, imo.
  • I love the Coen Brothers, or at least what movies I've seen (O Brother, Lebowski, Fargo). Granted, they have their missteps (Goats), but they're great on the whole. Lebowski, in my opinion, is a classic.
  • I love the Coen Brothers, or at least what movies I've seen (O Brother, Lebowski, Fargo). Granted, they have their missteps (Goats), but they're great on the whole. Lebowski, in my opinion, is a classic.
    If you mean The Men Who Stare At Goats, then I must inform you that that is not a Coen Brothers film.
  • Overrated.
    It's actually underrated.
  • edited February 2012
    Overrated.
    Yeaaahhh, no.

I will grant you, Eternal Sunshine is even more overrated.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Overrated.
    Yeaaahhh, no.

I will grant you, Eternal Sunshine is even more overrated.
    Philistine.

• It's a movie that grows on you with the second viewing, imo.
    I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but a friend convinced me to watch it again.

I now own two different collectors editions of the film.
    If you mean The Men Who Stare At Goats, then I must inform you that that is not a Coen Brothers film.
    Ah yes, The Men Who Stares at Goats, the best Coen Brothers film that the Coen Brothers never made.

Don't eat the eggs. We put LSD in the eggs.
    And the water. I put LSD in the main water tank.
    What? But, we drank the water!
  • edited February 2012
    You know what Coen Bros film is criminally underrated? Burn After Reading. That film was the shit.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yeah, Burn After Reading was incredible. Had a great mix of the classic Coen bros. dialogue + its own weird brand of slapstick.
  • We have... your shit.
  • I would point out at this juncture that Scott Rubin likes neither Firefly nor Star Trek. Thus, his opinions are invalid.
  • I love the Coen Brothers, or at least what movies I've seen (O Brother, Lebowski, Fargo). Lebowski, in my opinion, is a classic.
    It's a movie that grows on you with the second viewing, imo.
    I think this principal applies for all their movies. Especially with their comedies with maybe the exception of Raising Arizona. The one exception is True Grit, which is just jaw-dropping even from the first viewing.
  • I would point out at this juncture that Scott Rubin likes neither Firefly nor Star Trek. Thus, his opinions are invalid.
    True, though I agree it might be a little overrated among the geeks, though underrated by the population at large. What makes the Big Lebowski great is it's very quotable. My room mate and I constantly yell at each other, "You're out of your fucking element Donnie!"
  • You know what Coen Bros film is criminally underrated? Burn After Reading. That film was the shit.
    Heeeellllll yes.
    True, though I agree it might be a little overrated among the geeks, though underrated by the population at large. What makes the Big Lebowski great is it's very quotable. My room mate and I constantly yell at each other, "You're out of your fucking element Donnie!"
    It's a movie about a group of buddies who all have strong, distinct personalities, and their wacked-out interactions as they embark on some kind of crazy misadventure.

Basically, it's about groups of nerds in college.
  • Or us looking for wings after the first PAX east.
  • It also has musical number with bowling in it. Which can't be beat.
    Oh god that was awesome.

We should've gone into that one bar with the hot bartender and the loud metal. I never in my life thought that my need for wings would outstrip my desire for tits and metal.

Oh god that was awesome.

We should've gone into that one bar with the hot bartender and the loud metal. I never in my life thought that my need for wings would outstrip my desire for tits and metal.
    We should have gone there. I went there for brunch at AB the week after and it fantastic.
    Oh god that was awesome.

We should have gone there. I went there for brunch at AB the week after and it fantastic.
    I bet we can order White Russians there, too. It'll be perfect.

Oh god that was awesome.

We could go there instead of the Whiskey Priest Sunday morning.
    Oh god that was awesome.

What's this "instead of" bullshit I'm hearing out of you? Pub crawl, yo.

Or maybe one on Saturday and the other for Sunday. I do have to drive on Sunday at some point.

Oh god that was awesome.

What's this "instead of" bullshit I'm hearing out of you? Pub crawl, yo.

Or maybe one on Saturday and the other for Sunday. I do have to drive on Sunday at some point.
    A lot bars don't do brunch on Saturday.
  • For some reason I just don't really "get" the Coens' quirky movies, but I do really like their more serious films. So, I don't really like The Big Lebowski, but I will not deny that it is a highly quotable film, and I use quotes from it often.
  • If you mean The Men Who Stare At Goats, then I must inform you that that is not a Coen Brothers film.
    Well now I just have egg on my face. Get off of there, egg.

And I can't believe I forgot True Grit.
  • I prefer Fargo to Lebowski, but I still like it. I have to be in a mood for Lewbowski, but I watch Fargo very often.