This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20120221 - A Thousand and One Nights

edited February 2012 in GeekNights
I think the phrase that Scott was looking for, regarding great questions for A Thousand and One Nights and Dread, is “leading questions”.

Between this and your Beyond Dungeons & Dragons lecture, I'm reminded that you should take another shot at playing Fiasco. It would be a great addition to that lineup.

Comments

• Glad to see both Rym and Scott seem to be enjoying Running Man.
  • Glad to see both Rym and Scott seem to be enjoying Running Man.
    I think I have decided that Kang Gary is best.
  • Kang Gary is pretty great, but really it's all about Ji Hyo. There is a reason she is called Ace.
  • edited February 2012
    Loaded Question
    Leading Question

A leading question makes a statement then asks for verification ("Do you beat your wife?") whereas a loaded question makes a statement then asks something based on that ("Do you still beat your wife?" Either way, the question establishes that the person used to beat his wife). The difference is subtle but can be very important, as a leading question can be answered with "no", while a loaded question makes a direct statement.

"Was the assassination attempt on the emperor successful?" would be a loaded question because it states that there was an attempt then asks if it was successful based on that.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Great points, but they're more commonly referred to as leading questions in a roleplaying game context. For Dread, the questionnaire is not necessarily trying to presume something about the character. You're instead hoping to get responses that lead to something interesting while simultaneously creating player investment in the character. The interests raised during A Thousand and One Nights also tend to be leading questions, but it sounds like Rym and Scott are playing in a particularly adversarial way.
  • Kang Gary is pretty great, but really it's all about Ji Hyo. There is a reason she is called Ace.
    Ji Hyo is great. I also like "Sparta" Kook.
  • One big thing you guys missed in the sports debate, interesting though it was, is the star factor. Baseball's stars are fewer and far between, even on teams like the Red Sox and Yankees, while football is full of people that the culture is obsessed with. Pure sport, at least in America, does not sell to the general public. There's always going to be people like me who enjoy a sport for the pure sake of it, but the public is drawn to stars. Remember how on the podcast you asked about how boxing is falling off? It's because there's seriously 2 or 3 stars total in boxing. Back in the day you had a lot more stars and they fought on TV more often so the exposure was wider. Further, the league also becomes a star. Most people don't watch any MMA, they watch UFC. They don't want any pro wrestling, they watch WWE. Football(and to a lesser extent basketball) is the one exception because of the strong college support, but even then we have conferences like the Big 10 big enough that they're on the Comcast sports package.