This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Popular Science

Comments

• edited August 2012

We've had math in this thread before, so I figure this is the most appropriate place. I used to do a bit of those kinds of doodles.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • This evening the moon is at half mast.
  • Currently watching his series on how helicopters work.
    Easy. They're so abhorrent that the earth repels them.
    I detect some fear in your post, Churbs.
  • Currently watching his series on how helicopters work.
    Easy. They're so abhorrent that the earth repels them.
  • Antigrav stealth helicopters, fake moon landing? Chemtrails ron paul.
  • Frames, you need more of them.
  • I wish we could fly our helicopters like they can fly remote controlled ones... actually scratch that, I would end up puking my guts out.

Helicopters aren't that complicated.
  • They have to do a significant amount of extra maintenance work on that aircraft after each flight, above and beyond what would normally be required.

Its also something most aircraft can not do... due to the rotor hubs being of a different design and also a lack of pressurized fuel.

Its certainly bad ass though!
  • Pressurized fuel. Genius. Wish we had some pressurized spray bottles so I could get get them completely empty. Instead what I do is buy a new one. Then when I've used it a bit I mix in the remnants of the old one.
  • They have to do a significant amount of extra maintenance work on that aircraft after each flight, above and beyond what would normally be required.

Its also something most aircraft can not do... due to the rotor hubs being of a different design and also a lack of pressurized fuel.

Its certainly bad ass though!
    Rigid rotor system, yeah. Pilot is a bloke called Chuck Aaron, he's pretty badass.
  • All your smoke detectors are radioactive!
  • Autorotation.
  • Eff this thread, now I had to go order myself a new RC heli...

• I called the top one.
  • I depends on whether you're talking in terms of highest lethality to someone with access to healthcare, or most prevalent in highly populated parts of the world without healthcare.
  • edited September 2012

Bonus points if you know what the "Videocators Guild" crest consists of.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Isn't there also a point at which objects are moving away from us at faster than the speed of light, relative to us, such that light produced or reflected from it is actually moving away from us?
  • Sort of. The objects aren't moving faster than the speed of light, because nothing can move faster than the speed of light. What actually happens is the space between us and the thing is expanding.

Also, the light remains moving toward us at all times, but the distance it has to cover to get to us is increasing faster than the light can make up ground, so it will never get here.

So in a sense, the light is "moving away from us," because in 10 years it will be farther from us than it is now, but that's sort of playing with the definition of "move". If you want to read more about it, here or here are good places to start.
  • edited September 2012
    Sort of. The objects aren't moving faster than the speed of light, because nothing can move faster than the speed of light. What actually happens is the space between us and the thing is expanding.

Also, the light remains moving toward us at all times, but the distance it has to cover to get to us is increasing faster than the light can make up ground, so it will never get here.

So in a sense, the light is "moving away from us," because in 10 years it will be farther from us than it is now, but that's sort of playing with the definition of "move". If you want to read more about it, here or here are good places to start.
    And if you really want to blow your mind you can start thinking about the exact place, somewhere far, far, far away from us, where the "speed" of this distance growth is exaclty the speed of light. If you're a meter closer to earth light will evetually still make it to us, if you're a meter farther away from earth light will not ever make it to us.

In fact the place behaves identically to a blacl hole's event horizon and that is why it is also called an event horizon. Only this event horizon surrounds us completely in every direction.

And for the kicker: The expansion of the universe is currently accelerating, this means that the distance at which this event horizon is is shrinking, the surrounding event horizon is moving closer to earth...
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited September 2012
    p
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • And if you really want to blow your mind you can start thinking about the exact place, somewhere far, far, far away from us, where the "speed" of this distance growth is exaclty the speed of light. If you're a meter closer to earth light will evetually still make it to us, if you're a meter farther away from earth light will not ever make it to us.
    Wouldn't that "eventually" actually translate into a ludicrously long time, though?
  • It's planets. Everything takes a ludicrously long time.
  • Wouldn't that "eventually" actually translate into a ludicrously long time, though?
    That depends on perspective. From the perspective of the universe we are percieving things over a ludicrously short amount of time.
  • Well, as the distance from the emission point to the event horizon approaches zero, the time to reach Earth would approach infinity. Also, by the time a photon starting close to the event horizon reached Earth, it would be redshifted so far it would probably be undetectable.

The horizon is currently at about 16 billion light years.
  • Well, as the distance from the emission point to the event horizon approaches zero, the time to reach Earth would approach infinity.
    This is what I was getting at. Starting at only one metre from the event horizon, I'd be expecting it to take a very long time to get here, even on a universal timescale.
  • Wouldn't it be rad if we were all some elaborate Spore or Civilization simulation?

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429561/the-measurement-that-would-reveal-the-universe-as/
  • Well it is called Infinite Fun Space.