This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meta Forum Comments

Comments

• You people. We do not host these forums anymore. Telling us that they are down is like telling us that our Facebook page is down or that our Twitter account is down. Vanilla Forums is 100% responsible for the technology backing these forums. The downtime is their fault.
  • edited August 2015
    Yeah, both here and on other vanilla forums I use. It's no big deal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott, when you converted to vanilla hosting you didn't TELL ME YOU CAN USE HTTPS NOW.

The cert is for vanillaforums.com, but I assume they're good...
  • edited August 2015
    Starfox said:

Scott, when you converted to vanilla hosting you didn't TELL ME YOU CAN USE HTTPS NOW.

I didn't know you could. They charge extra for https, and we don't pay for it. I also never pay attention because I use the HTTPSEverywhere extension.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Starfox said:

Scott, when you converted to vanilla hosting you didn't TELL ME YOU CAN USE HTTPS NOW.

Hmm I'll have to rewrite the android app to use that. Also I was going to rewrite the whole thing anyway
  • Does anyone know how HTMKSteve is doing? Haven't seen him post on here in a long time.
  • He's been online in Steam so probably just doing stuff I suppose.
  • Maybe he's in the cave HungryJoe was hiding out in.
  • It's always funny when someone necros a really really old thread and I get to see how awful the grammar on here used to be.
  • I'm still here! Grammar is still terrible :-p
  • Why did the design just change?
  • Greg said:

Why did the design just change?

Because I changed it.
  • This is hard to read.
  • This is terrible!

I'm not just saying that because it is different. The layout of posts on the page is broken apart waaaay too much. There are three horizontal lines between posts, rather than the single line of the old design. This is too much visual clutter and breaks up the page. It makes it tiring to read or scan the page.

The quoted text is bigger than the comments under, upending the normal importance of text when reading. The reply is more important within that post than the post being replied to.

The Quote link is bigger than the comment that precedes it. And it is too close, making the real content of the post more difficult to read.

I could go on, but those three reasons are good enough to change back right the fuck now.
  • It makes all the individual posts basically standalone, and everything Luke said is accurate. This is not good.
  • Luke is a person who complains when anything changes, so I consider this
    I'm not just saying that because it is different
    to be a lie.

Scroll up to the last time the theme changed, and you can find yourself complaining about such trivial user interface nonsense. Oh look, you got used to it. You didn't die. In a few years when it changes again, you'll beg for me to roll back to this theme.

• Looks great on the mobile version though.

The last change was also bad. This is worser.
  • I'm with Luke. The new design is too sparse. It's too much like a PHP board.
  • I'm not having any problems. Even if you have arguments of merit or not, you're screwed over by history. There have just been too many cases of reactionary complaints to every minor or major user interface change in every piece of software ever. Therefore, those complaints, true or false, can only be ignored.
  • edited September 2016
    It is definitely worse:

1) There is now a whole lot more whitespace next to the posts because the avatars are next to the post instead of above in the line with the name
    2) The "screen direction" is worse because the menu for categories, favorites etc. is now on the right side, which is not where a navigation menu belongs.
    3) Maybe I'm mistaken, but is there overall much more of a margin on either side of the screen?
    4) It is harder to tell which threads have new posts with them now only having a small "new" icon instead of having a completely different background color.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • People complain about everything. Some things people complain about aren't bad. Therefor, nothing that people complain about is bad.

Solid logic.
  • I agree with all criticisms I've seen, and yet I agree with Scott. It's just a theme change. If I had my way I'd use this theme and find ways to make it darker. Too much white in this theme. Otherwise it's fine, not substantially better or worse, (other than there being too much white) than the last theme.
  • I do think it looks like shit, however. This feels like PHPbb
  • What I think I'll do is exercise my right to do whatever I want with the bits you send me and put up some custom css rules for this site.
  • I still want actual answer for why was the design changed.

Scott, you mentioned how people cry every time a website of piece of software changes it's design and that's true. The thing is, I believe that those changes always have some reasoning behind them. People might not like it, but behind the scenes there is always someone who thinks that the new design is better in some way than the old.

So Scott, how is this new design better?
  • For one it's more modern under the hood. Uses newer version of Bootstrap and such.

Also, I do not share everyone else's opinion. It feels like a breath of fresh air on my eyes. There were some pretty serious issues with it, though, that I fixed. For example, the search box was originally full-width across the top. I moved that shit to the side so fast.

Also, I don't like how when in the discussion list the only way to tell if a thread is read or unread is if the yellow box is in there. I'm working on making the titles of unread discussions BOLD.
  • Also, I like the right-hand sidebar better than the left-hand.
  • Echoing the above, half the horizontal space is whitespace when it could be text.
  • The main screen to view all the topics is really not good on mobile, despite the thread reading being better on mobile. It used to be that the entire SUV was clickable to view the new messages in a thread, and now not even the "new" text is clickable, only the thread title.