This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Joseph Kony & the Lord's Resistance Army

edited March 2012 in News
So the latest thing the Internet is getting riled up about is Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army.

So, obviously, Kony's a pretty shitty person, and should be stopped. I think there's still some room for discussion here, though. Is there hope? Can raising awareness like this have an impact?
Post edited by trogdor9 on

Comments

• Everyone is like "Yeah lets do some good and make a difference!" but I don't see it affecting much. I mean if people starting writing letters to the government and signing petitions then there could be an impact but just letting people know it exists doesn't change anything. I don't know how much Obama checks Facebook to decide what he's doing to do when it comes to international issues like this.
  • Another warlord would take his place. The only way to solve a situation like this is to invest in that country and start to bring it into the developing world.
  • Yeah. Things like this have been going on for a long ass time and he's certainly not the only one. Doing it. People seem to think "oh we'll just kill him and everything will get better." I mean I guess its just like how now that Bin Laden is dead there is no more terrorism anywhere.
  • Great message, and I hope it works, but what I want to know is how he did that neat 3D effect with the pictures. I mean, it isn't just parallaxing; we're actually getting new angles and views as the pictures move. That's cool.
  • edited March 2012
    Graffitti his church with MLP FiM artwork. Keep putting it back up as they wash it off. They will either finally take the hint or waste all their money cleaning off graffitti.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited March 2012
    Question - Wasn't the LRA completely defeated and pushed out of Uganda in 2006? I distinctly remember seeing reports which basically said Kony was sitting in the Congo with his thumb up his arse, him and the shreds that remained of his army slowly starving to death. As far as I know, they're small in number, and barely active, if at all.

I've also heard some strong rumors that Kony is already dead, which would make this even more suspect. If you want my cynical bastard opinion, then I'd say that the CEOs of this one issue charity have heard the very same things, and are taking a nice big rush to milk as much as they can before the gravy train makes it's final stop, and they're just hoping nobody notices that the LRA haven't been active for more than five years, or the rumors of Kony's death.

Also, Invisible children is a SUPER shitty charity. They've got some very, very dodgy finances, their CEOs are paid exorbidant amounts of money - For example, just the personal paycheck for the bloke who made that film, who is also one of the CEOs, is one percent of the charity's total income, and his two partners are not far behind on that, not including travel and business reimbursements, along with other assorted expenditures, such as Computer equipment(over seven hundred thousand dollars), Vehicles(seperate from transport costs or mantinence, over 200 thousand), over a hundred grand of camera equipment, and forty grand of furniture. There are also allegations of fraud, and the fact that they not only use some of their cash to lobby for direct millitary intervention in the situation - Iraq style - they also give cash directly to the Ugandan millitary, rather than contributing too much directly to aid.

EDIT - I called up an old mate who knows more about these situations than I do. He confirmed that the LRA is all but dead, and whatever is left is little more than a rapidly cooling corpse of the organization that came before. He also noted he's hear the same rumors about Kony being dead, but didn't have much to say on the topic, other than the fact that while he thinks the rumors have a good chance of being true, he won't confirm or deny it till he knows for sure.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2012
    The one thing that makes the short film feel fake or lacks belief, is that it says that everyone can make a difference by spreading the word around, giving donations, and doing a special movement to advertise the world on April 20th with photos of Kony.

However, think about it when you see those large groups of teens and young adults wearing the shirts, with giant banners in various parts of the country and the fact that they show 600k fans on facebook. The concern is that, not enough people know and that congress was uninformed, but within the documentary, they kind of showed they already succeeded the battle. It just wasn't a major news story until now.

But man, it's put youtube in a fervor. Even with small videos, everyone's asking for support or reactions of Kony 2012.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Oh yeah, this is really what the entire internet should be focusing on. A warlord with a crippled army operating in one country, vs. an entire fucking continent with a potable water shortage and an HIV epidemic.

Thanks for focusing on the real problems, internet!
  • Yeah been raising these points on facebook all day. It is staggering how many people don't read the news or have an idea of global affairs.
  • Oh yeah, this is really what the entire internet should be focusing on. A warlord with a crippled army operating in one country, vs. an entire fucking continent with a potable water shortage and an HIV epidemic.

Or domestic infrastructure problems, internet legislature, the regression of social standards in a first world country, global warming, Australian candy being terrible, starvation and potable water problems in just about every developing country, lack of education in just about every developing country, or any other number of problems that are more important than an already solved one.

With the size and effectiveness of his forces, I wouldn't even call him a warlord anymore. He's more like a...Polite-Row-at-the-sainsbury's-deli-queue-lord.
  • Polite-Row-at-the-sainsbury's-deli-queue-lord.
    As an Englishman, I will not stand for this tyranny!

• This is a fun read.
  • Now that's just silly conspiratorial bullshit.
    The only reason I don't believe it is because our government is nowhere near that competent.

If people like us ran the show, shit like that would be commonplace.
  • edited March 2012
    Now that's just silly conspiratorial bullshit.
    The only reason I don't believe it is because our government is nowhere near that competent.

If people like us ran the show, shit like that would be commonplace.
    I don't know whether I would support you or want to bring you down.

Probably whichever one gives me an epic adventure.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
    thatsthejoke.jpeg
  • Eeh, the government can get lucky. The dude who was fixing a weird graphic bug on one of screens in the meeting room was probably smart enough to come up with this plan in an instant.
  • Is anyone else surprised at how much traction this got? I didn't really expect many people to actually watch a 30 minute video.
  • I look forward to the inevitable South Park episode.
  • I look forward to the inevitable South Park episode.
  • Same. There is so much comedy gold in this situation.

• How did Kony 2012 go over in Uganda?

The words Lead Balloon spring to mind
  • edited March 2012
    Invisible Children's founder is guilty of public masturbation. Oh, and he touched himself in front of people too.
    Post edited by Sail on