This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• edited April 2012
    After hearing Scott's desperate plea for more panels, an idea suddenly came to me: Improv for the Role Player or Whose Spell is it Anyway?. Mind you, I've actually never been to Connecticon, or any major conventions, let alone hosted a panel (although I am able to speak in public). The idea would be compare certain storytelling aspects of tabletop RPG's that many DM's and players neglect with improv techniques and games. By removing the distracting game mechanics, players should be able to better analyze the emerging storyline.

In reality, I'm thinking some ice breakers to warm up the audience, possibly followed by a theater-y game just to prove a point. Then, a brief, 10-15 minute talk comparing the two mediums, show some clips from Whose Line is It Anyway or other examples of improv, and throw down some improv terms. In addition, I'd mention different games and try to explain how the creators try to force the players to act, rather than play. Some examples would include Fiasco's more structured storyline, Burning Wheel's artha as its primary motivation, and Greg Costikyan's Toon, where characters are immortal and players should abandon restraints. Paranoia's defeatism and "Act or be acted upon" attitude will definitely be alluded to as well.

The real majority would involve playing Yes And, an improv game where the players are forced to agree with everything the other character says. It thrusts the characters into interesting situations almost immediately, forces people to cooperate, and should help prove to any munchkins in the audience that RPG's aren't about taking the safest, smartest route, and that the best situations emerge through interaction and risk.

In some ways, I can almost see this as a sequel to Beyond Dungeons and Dragons, introducing players to new ways to approach their role playing sessions. I'm willing to answer any questions, or hear criticisms on how to make something like this work. Hell, Scrym, I live in the city, and would be happy to meet in person to discuss it further and prove that I'm not shit-cocking. What does everyone else think? Keep it on the back burner for my next convention, perhaps?

EDIT: Starting to feel a little nervous about posting this (perhaps it belonged in the shit-talk thread?), but I'm not gonna delete it. The only other question that I may need to ask is am I being too optimistic about the type of audience that will turn out?
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • After hearing Scott's desperate plea for more panels, an idea suddenly came to me: Improv for the Role Player or Whose Spell is it Anyway?.
    I really like this idea, though I'd drop the references to Whose Line is it Anyway because it might be confused with Whose Line is it Anime (an event which I think now goes by the name Anime Unscripted, but remains an improv comedy event). I'm also not sure whether you should call it a panel or a workshop, but Scrym would no doubt be able to clarify.

It's hard to say what kind of audience it'll draw, both in terms of the number of people and in terms of whether they'll have much experience with RPGs. I'd say be flexible in the way you approach it, and be ready for either working closely with a small group of interested parties, or splitting the group up into smaller groups for the improv games.

I would definitely attend this.

• Why doesn't the form have a place for contact info? Do I put it in the biography? What is the short biography even for? Is this even the right form? http://connecticon.org/events/add/ Someone explain to me, please.
  • Why doesn't the form have a place for contact info? Do I put it in the biography? What is the short biography even for? Is this even the right form? http://connecticon.org/events/add/ Someone explain to me, please.
    Yeah, I had similar questions . . .I just submitted a panel without including a biography. I assume that the system associates our profile info with our submissions, since I can see my pending submission when I go to My Account.

Note to Scrym: I'm jtvh on the ConnectiCon web site. I can't find anywhere on that site to tell it what my real name is. I guess I should've put it in the short bio.

• I submitted a workshop about the art of storytelling, and how you can incorporate some simple storytelling techniques into your games to give your stories more impact.

It sounds similar to, but distinct from, the improv idea.

So do it!
    Yeah, I had similar questions . . .I just submitted a panel without including a biography. I assume that the system associates our profile info with our submissions, since I can see my pending submission when I go to My Account.

>.<

Yeah, I don't like that... I like having a contact box because email seems better for this sort of thing.
  • Yeah, I have already made a ton of requests to improve the site for next year...
  • So, I submitted 3 panels. I hope I get them! I'm so revved up about them all! Especially the pony one! :D
  • @rym and @aprache

When will you get the first panels selected? I am curious for the reason to work on those first since the majority of mine will be debuting at CT.
  • Soon. ;^)
  • Panel submitted
  • Do people who're doing panels need to worry about pre-regging, or is it going to be badges-at-the-door like last year?
  • One of my panels has been submitted. I have ideas for some more but I need to refine them a bit before sending them in. Haven't decided if I'm going to do an updated version of my Pony panel. The I kinda feel out of touch with the fandom now that it has grown so much.
  • I'm starting to fill out the schedule bit by bit on the public site!

http://connecticon.org/events/category/panels-workshops

A few things I note for you guys!

1. Did anyone here actually intend their panel to be 30 minutes long? Or was that an omission when filling out the form?

2. I believe the system doesn't email you automatically when I approve a panel, or when I schedule it. I'll figure out how I plan to send those emails soon!
  • My dice panel is supposed to be 30 minutes.
  • My dice panel is supposed to be 30 minutes.
    Perfect. Just making extra sure! ;^)

• I think I put an hour for all of mine.
  • Gosh, I wish I could make it down to Connecticon. There is still a chance, but it's pretty slim.

Next year, though, definitely. I really want to try doing a panel at something and Connecticon seems to be the place to do it.
  • Sadly, I still need to submit my panels. I have a couple new panels in the works but I have been unable to meet with my other panelists to get them and my others finalized. I am hoping to get them in by the end of this week but with finals starting Friday, it might take a little longer...
  • I decided I'll wait until next con season to start submitting panels. Gotta get a better feel for how things work before I take the world by storm.
  • I decided I'll wait until next con season to start submitting panels. Gotta get a better feel for how things work before I take the world by storm.
    This is my fourth year of attending conventions and I started submitting panels last year (to be fair, I only started to go to conventions seriously starting last year). I was constantly told by many people the best way to learn is by doing it. You could start now, or wait many more years, but your very first panel will most likely suck. I've got to agree with this advice. Ultimately it's your decision, but don't be afraid to jump in when you are ready.
  • Anyone have hotel space for this? I wouldn't mind crashing on a couch or floor. Prob can't make it for the entire weekend but would definitely want to do a 2 day/1 night. Which night would depend on if/when my panel gets scheduled.
  • I'm updating the shit out of the panels schedule, so check on your submissions kids! It's a full schedule (I'm still "opening" panels I've approved), and it's looking hot!
  • I'm liking what I'm seeing.
  • I'm excited to run the refined version of my "How meta destroyed the anime industry" panel. I hope to tighten it and make the thesis more sound in this second run. It was a lot of work getting it to where I liked it last year and if I put a tiny bit of that effort into again it'll turn into something I can be proud of.
  • Dumb question: Rym do you need me to be the MC for th TGWTG Q&A panel? I will make sure all of Scott's rules are followed and have a few ideas on breaks ala what John Saint John does.
  • Another Dumb Question: Is it possible for the convention schedule and related information to be put into the Guidebook app for the iPhone (formerly Conventionist)?
  • I'm updating the shit out of the panels schedule, so check on your submissions kids! It's a full schedule (I'm still "opening" panels I've approved), and it's looking hot!
    I forgot to include a "short bio" on the Kawasaki panel. Can I enter it somewhere now, or send it to you for including online? There doesn't seem to be any way to update a submission.

• I got afew cancellations from the group I was planning on bringing to Connecticon this year. So now i'm stuck with this big old 2 bedroom penthouse suite at the Residence inn and only two other people in my group.

On the upside, the folks who cancelled were the three who were under the drinking age. Now I get to bring my Port-a-bar.

If anybody from Rochester is looking to go I should have room both in the car and in the room. We will be heading over midday on Thursday and Coming back Sunday evening.