This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• PAX is the only good con not like this. ^_~
  • I'm almost afraid to try to get into PAX. I need to cut my teeth on a lesser con first.. ;-)
  • I'm almost afraid to try to get into PAX. I need to cut my teeth on a lesser con first.. ;-)
    It's not a scary thing. Just throw yourself into it. Accept the fact that you will have a weekend of fun, but don't set up expectations of doing X, Y, and Z. As long as you did stuff for 3 days and it was all fun (this is almost impossible to avoid), then you did a good job enjoying a con.

• I'm going as an artist, with limited assistance. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of opportunity for browsing this year, but I'll try.
  • I'm going as an artist, with limited assistance. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of opportunity for browsing this year, but I'll try.
    All you need to do is see three words.

SUPER ART FIGHT!

• Hehe. I'm more of the handcrafted jewelry-and-knick-knacks variety than the drawn variety. Not sure how that works out in an art fight. :)
  • Hehe. I'm more of the handcrafted jewelry-and-knick-knacks variety than the drawn variety. Not sure how that works out in an art fight. :)
    No you go see it, even if you think that it is not for you, go see it. The group is a staple of any convention I been attending and have not been disappointed by.

• Will try.

I put the "awk" in socially awkward.

Thanks for the tip. :)
  • GroupMe raped my battery.
    But you will have a new battery, so in theory, it shouldn't be too bad.
  • edited June 2012
    GroupMe raped my battery.
    No, it was raping my battery when my battery was still young and spry.
    Post edited by George Patches on
    That wasn't even 3 months ago.
    That wasn't even 3 months ago.
    My battery failed in a very binary fashion. It was fine and normal until a few days ago when it abruptly went south.
  • So, is the con this disorganized every year? Information is scarce, promised updates are missing or delayed, no maps published 3 weeks from the convention..? Is this typical?

Are all cons like this?

The staff on the forum seem annoyed by most questions, too. :(
    No, NOT all cons are like this. Rym is making a broad generalization from the Guest Panelist perspective when he says PAX is the only one not like this. He has a limited perspective from which to judge interactions. That said, so do I, but it is a different one.

Having dealt with many cons from the dealer/artist alley perspective, it is rare to find this level of incompetence in communicating to the people who really need to know things. Otakon is a good example of a con with the same level of horrible communication, but I have rarely had the same problems with other cons when selling there. Pretty much every other con I've sold/vended at has had great communication with me prior to the con, and the staff were extra helpful at the convention too. Often even if con-specific maps are not up for the general public, you can get a map of the convention center for logistical planning.

Connecticon is really bad about getting information up. The con itself is fun, but the communication and information dispersal is atrocious. At least the panels staff has it together now. ;P
  • -- Panels staff organized [X]
    -- Panels staff not totally corrupt [ ]
  • Rym and Scott aren't totally corrupt.
    Mostly, but not totally.
    Mostly, but not totally.
    I'm reasonably sure that I couldn't bribe Scott with something worth less than what I'd get out of it. He's like, crafty and shrewd.
    Mostly, but not totally.
    I'm reasonably sure that I couldn't bribe Scott with something worth less than what I'd get out of it. He's like, crafty and shrewd.
    Well, of course. He's corrupt, not stupid.

• You couldn't bribe them, but you are much more likely to get accepted as a panelist than many others because you post on here and have known them for a while. After my very mixed results at my MLP panel last year, I wouldn't have accepted my Madoka/Eva panel, but they did anyway. Because it was outwayed by American Tezukas and FTG? Maybe. Because I played in Ryms Burning Wheel game at the NerdNYC Recess? More likely.
  • You couldn't bribe them, but you are much more likely to get accepted as a panelist than many others because you post on here and have known them for a while.
    And if I sucked at giving panels, or was a total dipshit on these forums, they would've laughed me out of the room, so to speak. Using connections isn't corruption. It's using connections. Do we have an advantage because we have a semblance of a personal relationship with Rym and Scott? Sure. But we also earned that advantage.
  • Have any of you tried bribing them? Clearly we need to experiment.
    I gave Scott a Rainbow Dash figurine last year. Later that night, we got to go a whole two minutes over for Craziest Mecha Moments. Coincidence?
    Shh They might hear us.
    Shh They might hear us.
    Yeah, that would totally ruin the experiment.
  • I should be recovered from surgery in time, but I'm not driving.
  • We basically can't be bribed. ;^) I base scheduling decisions on a simple set of datapoints I have about specific panelists/lecturers.

1. Does it appear that they'll show up and run their event?

2. Do they appear intelligent and competent?

3. Does it appear their event will do at least one of the following?:
    a. Draw a large crowd
    b. Add something of value to the convention

4. Will they or their event cause a problem for the convention?

5. Does the event duplicate existing better content I have already scheduled?

• So if a panel might be controversial, you wouldn't go to bat for it? I'm not sure I can provide a for instance, but I'm curious.
  • So if a panel might be controversial, you wouldn't go to bat for it? I'm not sure I can provide a for instance, but I'm curious.
    See 3b.
  • What about in instances where 3b is at odds with 4? "See 3b" isn't really an answer. :)