This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Desk Toys

edited March 2012 in Everything Else
So about a month ago I bought a Rubik's Cube to put on my desk at work. When I'm thinking I tend to mess around with things, my hands need to be doing something. I'm kinda kinda getting bored with the Rubik's Cube at this point and was thinking of other cool toys I could have on my desk to distract me for short periods of time. I bought some pine wood cubes and some glue and I was thinking of building a Soma Cube to put on my desk and mess around with.

I'm also looking for suggestions for other stuff and generally just curious if others have stuff like this on their desks.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Given to me by a coworker as a secret santa gift last year.
    It makes a thunder noise when you hit the little doodad on top of the handle. Great for commanding respect out of mortals.

Not pictured are a Nerf® dart gun and several baseballs, golf balls, and lacrosse balls.

Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • I've a got a million. Coins, pens, a butterfly knife that's actually a bottle opener, usb drives, bullets and a handgun I field strip when I'm really bored (yeah, not my corporate desk :P ).
  • I used to have many; now I have none. My desk is an ode to utility and organization. When I need to outsource my energy to my hands, I wrangle a pen like Borris. Most times as I am typing, you can see said pen jammed in my mouth and suffering chew marks.
  • edited March 2012
    I used to have many; now I have none. My desk is an ode to utility and organization. When I need to outsource my energy to my hands, I wrangle a pen like Borris. Most times as I am typing, you can see said pen jammed in my mouth and suffering chew marks.
    This is the habit that I am trying to break
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited March 2012
    I've always thought myself a geek but I've never been into collectibles or knick knacks. Geeky or non geeky. I do like the idea of having puzzle to play around with in the office. A working model of the Hellraiser box would suffice.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Eight paperclip trebuchet. Strategic reach: 5 meters, pretty accurate on repeat shots.
  • I've posted various picks before of my desk tchotchkes. I have way too many stress reliever squeezy things that my work gives out at various seminars and classes. I should get rid of them. I'll be doing a cleaning eventually and post new pics.
  • I have a small Star Wars Episode 2/3 clone trooper (my wife got it for me thinking it was a "robot" and knowing that I like robots -- she's not much of a geek, lol). I also have a model of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner here as well. Oh, and a pirate flag. Oh, and my lucky 2x4 (bit of a story behind that one if anyone's curious). I'll post pics eventually, I guess.
  • edited March 2012
    [There is a] bit of a story behind that one if anyone's curious.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Eight paperclip trebuchet. Strategic reach: 5 meters, pretty accurate on repeat shots.
    Damn, 5 meters is not bad!
  • It's not much of a story, but basically it goes back to college. Since the window in my dorm room wouldn't stay up when open, I scrounged up a 2x3 (as opposed to a 2x4) to prop it open. Anyway, around the same time I was taking a class in computer engineering (microprocessor design, assembly language, digital circuitry, etc.) and my lab group also doubled as a study group for that class. I started bringing the 2x3 to our study/lab meetings, dubbed it El Kabong (yes, after the old Hanna Barbera Zorro wannabe), and we would use it to threaten each other in jest when we were straying too far from getting our work done. Eventually, El Kabong become something of a mythical figure, immortalized in my house's t-shirts (I lived in a co-ed theme house called Technology House, and we'd make theme t-shirts every year to commemorate that year), and even became the symbol of the power of the house president, who'd wield it like a scepter during meetings.

Anyway, I left the original El Kabong with my house after graduation, but I still wanted to keep a solid chunk of wood around for "good luck," if you will. My dad had a piece of a 2x4 left over from one of his projects, so he gave it to me and it became "El Kabong Jr." I still keep said 2x4 at my desk, though I often state it's my "heavy duty debugger" for those times when gdb just won't cut it.

Sadly, the original El Kabong seems to have gotten lost in the 12 years or so since I gradated... :(
  • I'm reminded of the cartoon Ed, Edd n Eddy. One of the neighborhood kids in the show always carried around a wooden plank with him. It was his best friend.
  • It's name was plank.

• My desk ponies. I still need a Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, though.
  • That Twilight looks just plain menacing.