This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Explain Homestuck

Comments

• >Churba : Troll Scott
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah, I like how I was honestly asking, just to check, and of course you put words in my mouth. There's a reason I checked instead of just being teh stupid and going straight to that kind of elitist argument. You always test the water before you jump in. Imagine if I had jumped in the water before testing! Oh what a thrashing that would be.

So now for another check.

Is there anyone here who really likes Homestuck, but does NOT have copious amounts of time to spare? Any Homestuck fans with 9 to 5 jobs? Or maybe children to take care of?

I'm thinking maybe this is one of those situations like JRPGs. When I was young, FFVI was the best thing ever because I could afford to sit through the pain of random encounters and other such bullshit. And even though today I still like the the story and characters of FFVI, I can not possibly bring myself to play it because it is just too time consuming and painful. Maybe if I had a cheat that maxes out all characters and skips any non-plot combat.

The one difference being that JPRGs make sense. If you remove all the random encounters and grinding and pain, the plot still makes perfect sense to anybody.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2012
    If you started reading Homestuck from the beginning, it's no more intensive than any other webcomic to read. It didn't take me much longer to grind out the archive than to read the Order of the Stick, though. They are both about equally wordy.

Now that I think about it, actually, the Order of the Stick and Homestuck are very similar. Lots of words, very abstracted art style, playing with game concepts. The only difference is that game concepts in OotS are familiar to D&D players, while Homestuck's are made up.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • If you started reading Homestuck from the beginning, it's no more intensive than any other webcomic to read. It didn't take me much longer to grind out the archive than to read the Order of the Stick, though.
    WTF kind of magic brain powers do you have. It took me like an hour, and I still didn't get to that part where the plot supposedly starts.
  • Not my fault you read slow, Scott.
  • The one difference being that JPRGs make sense. If you remove all the random encounters and grinding and pain, the plot still makes perfect sense to anybody.
    You can probably skip all the random encounters and grinding in Homestuck too and actually it's pretty much all skipped and handwaved already.

• edited March 2012
    Yeah. It takes a while for John to kill his first Imp and Ogre, but after that the various characters just blaze through fights. I mean, Rose just makes her needlewands and we pretty much never see her fight again.
  • If you started reading Homestuck from the beginning, it's no more intensive than any other webcomic to read. It didn't take me much longer to grind out the archive than to read the Order of the Stick, though.
    WTF kind of magic brain powers do you have. It took me like an hour, and I still didn't get to that part where the plot supposedly starts.
    I might have said this few times already, but while Homestuck is little slowpace altogether the beginning is slowest of them all. If Homestuck were a vehicle in the beginning it didn't have any wheels and was stuck to a mud.
  • edited March 2012
    >Churba : Troll Scott
    Are you kidding? I can't call this trolling, at this point, he's practically trolling himself. I didn't get him into this argument, and I didn't make him push it so far off the deep end that he's found Harold Holt swimming laps, I'm just stoking the coals a little to ensure an even burn over sufficient time - after all, if I'm having goose, I like to see it well cooked.
    I don't need to dump firewood on it, I can simply observe and poke a little.

I think the best part is that if he just had the ability to say "Well, I don't get it, I don't see it, but fair enough" rather tripping over his ego and falling into an argument of "I don't get it and I'm better than you, so therefore there can't be anything to get, clearly it doesn't exist", then this thread would be two pages shorter, and my weekly popcorn budget would be a lot lower.

Maybe it's a little cold of me, considering, but hey, it's a pretty harmless situation, and he got himself into it entirely by his own actions, so as far as I'm concerned, like I said, he can suffer in his jocks. I mean, like the Skyhooks song says, Ego is not a dirty word, but neither is birdseed, and that doesn't stop you suffocating under too much of it.

And I'll be honest, call me a hopeless dreamer if you must, but I really do think that there is a chance he'll learn something from these encounters. Realistically, it's not a fantastic chance, but hey, call it the placebo effect if you wish, but I'd swear I've seen gradual improvement over the years I've been interacting with him.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, I like how I was honestly asking, just to check, and of course you put words in my mouth.
    Yes, Apreche. We know. Don't worry. Close your eyes, lean back in your comfy $1000-something chair, take a deep breath and relax. When you open your eyes you think you're a rabbit, GO!
  • The people who legitimately like it are short attention span tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
    Is there anyone here who really likes Homestuck, but does NOT have copious amounts of time to spare? Any Homestuck fans with 9 to 5 jobs? Or maybe children to take care of?
    I am curious where these statistics come from...
  • I don't think I'm a punk kid, and I've not consumed drugs and read homestuck at the same time. Though I am starting to think I should give that a shot.
  • I think I once read a bit of Homestuck while drinking a beer and I've definitely drank some coffee while reading Homestuck, is that close enough?
  • The people who legitimately like it are short attention span tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
    I am curious where these statistics come from...
    There aren't any. I'm asking, not telling.

• There aren't any. I'm asking, not telling.
    Asking implies question, question implies questionmark and this
    The people who legitimately like it are short attention span tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
    had no questionmark.

• There aren't any. I'm asking, not telling.
    Asking implies question, question implies questionmark and this
    The people who legitimately like it are short attention span tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
    had no questionmark.

Don't need a question mark on that because all of us are short attention span, tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
  • Don't need a question mark on that because all of us are short attention span, tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
    Was that "us" in there just a slip or actually something that can be considered as acceptation of weakness in you character Scott. I have to say I'm surprised.

• Don't need a question mark on that because all of us are short attention span, tweaked out punk kids, or on drugs.
    So all of us legitimately like Homestuck?
  • Boy gets a beta (and a name) on his 13th birthday. Hilarity ensues.
  • I havn't yet bothered to look into this "Homestuck" thing, but this thread makes me fear for my age. I'm already getting more and more of that "I think I'm right and you are just a dumb kid" running through my head.
  • Yeah, I haven't looked into Homestuck yet either, and based on what I've read in this thread that's not something I urgently need to fix.
  • I thought I would make note of the fact that Andrew Hussie was just killed today by the villain, Lord English, who crossed the forth wall to take him out. This leaves the distinct possibility Lord English will cross the fifth wall and kill the reader, too.

So it's probably safer not to not be reading right now.
  • Well, technically, that was a robot clone of Hussie. Also, it's April Fool's Day.
  • edited April 2012
    Both the Hussbot and Hussie himself died. Hussie was gunned down by English's Cairo Typewriter because magic isn't real. Basically his only hope now is that either Ms. Paint revives his dreamself with a kiss, or Rufio from the Robin Williams movie Hook comes back from the dead at God Tier, presumably as the Page of Breath, to save him.

See, that's what I love about Homestuck. It means I can type the above in total seriousness.
  • See, that's what I love about Homestuck. It means I can type the above in total seriousness.
    No you can't. That self insertion stuff is mainly for gags, narration and recaps. So not really the most serious part of the story.

• Just saw a flyer for a Homestuck meetup on campus. Can't decide if it'd be crazy awesome or crazy awkward.
  • Just saw a flyer for a Homestuck meetup on campus. Can't decide if it'd be crazy awesome or crazy awkward.
    Video it secretly.
  • Overtly might work too.