This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Explain Homestuck

Comments

• Just saw a flyer for a Homestuck meetup on campus. Can't decide if it'd be crazy awesome or crazy awkward.
    Possibly just crazy.

• I feel I should post here as the one guy in the forum with a Homestuck Avatar, but frankly not even I know why I like it.

Also, Homestuck meeting, I'm not sure if I would touch that with a 10 foot stick. Homestuck has some...scary fans, to say the least. It's reminiscent of the furry fandom. :/
  • My sister announced she is making a Vriska cosplay and told me I was helping. This is going to be awesome.
  • Also, Homestuck meeting, I'm not sure if I would touch that with a 10 foot stick. Homestuck has some...scary fans, to say the least. It's reminiscent of the furry fandom. :/
    Everything has terrible fans. You can't judge a work by it's fandom.
  • I tried reading Homestruck for half an hour, and it was boring. If there's anything good there, there's no hook.

• Everything has terrible fans. You can't judge a work by it's fandom.
    I don't think he's judging the work by the fans, He's just judging the fans by the fans.

Though honestly I've never found the fandom as bad as the internet makes it out to be.
  • They are primarily guilty of amazing cosplay.

some_text
  • God that image makes me laugh.
  • There should never come a point in persons life where they think "Cosplaying as a tentacle princess/cat -spirit thingie sounds like a good idea."
  • I prefer the version of that with the caption "WHITE PEOPLE."
  • I prefer the version of that with the caption "WHITE PEOPLE."
    Post it, I beg of you.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2012
    I learned recently that the hardcore cosplay community at anime cons has a strong dislike for Homestuck fans, due to the simple fact that they enter masquerades with elaborate and well-constructed costumes for characters which have no canonical representation by which to be judged for accuracy, bringing forward large quantities of butthurt when they are thus challenged.

There's a secondary problem that the fans are often familiar themselves only with fan-created representations, giving the appearance that many of the people cosplaying as characters from Homestuck have never actually read it.

It was an interesting and unexpected conversation to say the least.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Huh. That's pretty interesting, I'll have to look into that a bit more.
  • edited April 2012
    Do you mean like, characters whose existence is known but whose appearance has not been revealed, or simply as a consequence of the level of abstraction in the visuals? Because there are characters, like Lord English, the Uracil Trolls, and once upon a time the trolls themselves, who spent months or years as known characters with personalities and extensive interaction with others, without actually having been seen, and fans extrapolated a lot of designs from the brief glimpses we got. Heck, Hussie parodies it in some of the intermission updates, dressing up in the fan guesses of characters we haven't seen yet, most recently uranianUmbra.

Also it's 4/13 so happy John's birthday everyone.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Oh right, does this mean we can expect a flash post today?
  • edited April 2012
    I think so. I mean, it's the anniversary, there has been a ten day hiatus, and the last intermission just ended, so odds are pretty good that a flash will happen.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • On the cosplay thing. I think it's kinda funny that people go out their way to try to cosplay unseen characters when there is a already huge known cast and at least the four main kids all have multiple outfits. One could fill a small con with just the differently costumed versions of the four kids alone, add the trolls and side characters and options for Homestuck cosplay should be endless.
  • Yeah, that is weird. My sister and I are doing some cosplay for an upcoming con, and it was hella difficult figuring out who we will play. (We settled on cyborg Vriska and probably science-wand Eridan)
  • edited October 2012
    Bryan Lee O'Malley interviews Hussie

Best question and answer of the whole thing:
    O'MALLEY: The blogosphere seems to ignore Homestuck. There hasn't really been any intermediary discussion. I wanted to read a big interview with you, but there wasn't one, so I had to do it myself.

HUSSIE: I always understood the blogs neglecting Homestuck, because I'm pretty well able to step outside of it and try to honestly see what it looks like to random people. And what I see is something that couldn't possibly be less penetrable to casual understanding. I think weighing the massive cult phenomenon that's apparent in public, against what the first page of the story looks like... that kind of says it all. It just so perfectly "does not compute," looking at this dinky piece of s*** aliased drawing of a kid with a cake versus an army of screaming teens in gray makeup. How do regular people even process that? And the scary thing is, even figuring out how to reconcile that disparity is barely even the beginning of "understanding it," so I can completely understand people giving up before even trying. In fact, I'd probably do the same.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/10/02/homestuck-interview-andrew-hussie-bryan-lee-omalley-ms-paint-adventures/#ixzz289oVfWL9
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Say what you may say about Hussie, but damn his answers were well written.
  • I feel vindicated that the author feels his story does a poor job of pulling people in.
  • I feel vindicated that the author feels his story does a poor job of pulling people in.
    In order to feel vindicated I'd have to have been interested enough in the first place to care. Half the appeal of Homestuck seems to be that you have to invest gobs of time to be part of the in crowd that "gets" it.

No thanks.
  • edited October 2012
    Very much appreciated reading that. It's always nice to get more insight into nerdy phenomena that I'd like to know more about but don't have the time or patience to get into myself.

I can acknowledge the quality of Homestuck as a whole, having read that interview and considered both his intent and what I've been told by fans of the series. However, I also think that the investment cost for getting at that quality is too great for me at the moment, and I'm glad to see the author acknowledges that. More power to those who do have the time and energy for it. There are obviously a lot of them, judging by the success of that Kickstarter, so bully for Hussie.

Also, the fact that BLOM conducted the interview is pretty awesome. +1 nerd point.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited October 2012
    I think it is pretty interesting, listening to him talk about his own work. I read a bit of Homestuck the other day because we are advertising on MS Paint Adventures, and while I wasn't put off by it, I wasn't entranced either. May go back and revisit it at some point. It's basically less reading than reading 3 American single issue comic books a week for a year.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's basically less reading than reading 3 American single issue comic books a week for a year.
    Hardly. Look at the blob of text associated with each comic! The chatlogs are "critical" and are often massive...

• It's basically less reading than reading 3 American single issue comic books a week for a year.
    Hardly. Look at the blob of text associated with each comic! The chatlogs are "critical" and are often massive...
    There are plenty of pages with no text, but yes, there are quite a lot of the chatlogs and they can be huge.

I think it took me about week or two to read all of Homestuck last spring and I have "infinite freetime". Totally worth the time investment in my option though.

• The website is confusing. I can't tell if I'm looking at homestuck or another comic.