This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Throwaway Thursday: The Zombie Hordes

2»

Comments

• Remember to bring some kind of entertainment because boredom is one of you biggest threats. Pen and paper rpgs are actually great for groups because they don't require electricity. If your along, just chuck some books into your car along with your supplies.
  • Last year, I went to MIT's "Splash" program, where you spend a weekend participating electives (your pick) on the MIT campus. It was a fantastic experience, but the best part is that ALL the electives are taught by students, professors, and graduates of MIT, who talk about ANY subject they wish!

The best class I had that weekend, was a late-night talk about "What to do when the zombies attack". They covered all sorts of stuff, from what type of zombies they are, to what weapons to use, to how to be an effective dictator once you are the lone ruler of a new civilization.

They also plugged their zombie-survival website, which I will post here if I can remember what it is.

By the way...

What does a normal zombie say?
    Brains... BRAINS...

What does a zombie on speed say?
    BRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINSBRAINS!!!!!
  • edited October 2006
    I am sorry, but your zombie knowledge is definitely lacking. I refer you to your new Bible and, perhaps, one of the greatest books ever created.

The Zombie Survival Guide
    Read this book, and your zombie removal skills shall be greatlybolstered. You shall see the error of your ways.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I am sorry, but your zombie knowlage is deffinatley lacking, i refer you to your new Bible and perhaps one of the greatest books ever created.
    The Zombie Survival Guide
    Read this book, and your zombie removal skills shall be greatley bolstered. You shall see the error of your ways.
    Uh, Loz? It's already been mentioned:
    Well, the first thing I would do is read the zombie survival guide again just to brush up on the facts.
    Anyways, it just so happens that there's (quite convienently) a recent article on Digg linking to this movie.

As for what I'd do in a zombie attack, I'd probably find out driving instructions to Rym and Scott's house, and (if the location of the zombie horde permits) head on over there as fast as I can, as my house is VERY susceptible to any sort of corrupted living or undead.
  • Step 1: Call my chemistry teacher and convince him to make a whole bunch of exploding/flaming stuff.
    Step 2: Grab a wrecking bar from my garage, and rob the local hardware store.
    Step 3: Combine the above tools and chemicals to make awesome weapons.
    Step 4: Wait with a shotgun and said awesome weapons.
    Step 5: Play Doom to get "practice" at killing zombies.
  • edited October 2006
    There is a old school drive-in movie theater relatively close to my house.

This being North Carolina, hence the South, the concession stand of the theater operates as a joint concession stand, video rental, gun shop, and knife store, with the theater converted into a flea market on the off days.

Although a used car lot addition would be greatly appreciated, it has always served in my mind as a one stop shop for all your zombie survival needs.

And the deep-fried mushrooms? Scrumptilious.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Uh, there's a nice little bakery near my place. I guess I could piff some of the world's finest lemon custard pies at the zombies. Oh, and there's also an Army recruit training base about 10km down the road. Would that help?
  • I'm surprised no one has mentioned Node 666, a video blog site of how these people, mostly podcasters, would survive a zombie apocalypse. I suggest watching The Bunker.
  • I think that a police station would be a good place to go to. I imagine all the police will be gone fighting the various hordes and i would be able to stock up on protections, weapons and who knows, maybe guns! Then i would want the best sword i could get my hands on (should it be in a stone i would also like to be able to pull out). I dont really know where to get a good sword, maybe i should just befriend an old mysterious japanese guy, they can all make swords.

As for holing up somewhere, i wouldn't feel safe anywhere. Everywhere has secret entrances and windows (far too smashable). If i was to stay anywhere it would be at home after i have raided my local bulk buy goods emporium. However if i was going to get on a vehicle and drive to..safety, wherever that is i would get either a bike or a massive truck. One of the trucks with beds and stuff in. Best case i would steal a cruise liner and as long as there are no secret zombies i'll be fine.
  • edited October 2006
    I think that a good place to go would be a police station. I imagine all the police would be gone fighting the various hordes and I would be able to stock up on protections, weapons and who knows, maybe guns! Then I would want the best sword I could get my hands on (should it be in a stone, I would also like to be able to pull out). I don't really know where to get a good sword. Maybe I should just befriend an old mysterious japanese guy; they can all make swords.

As for holing up somewhere, I wouldn't feel safe anywhere. Everywhere has secret entrances and windows (far too smashable). If I was to stay anywhere it would be at home, after I have raided my local bulk buy goods emporium. However, if I was going to get on a vehicle and drive to safety, wherever that is, I would get either a bike or a massive truck. One of the trucks with beds and stuff in. Best case, I would steal a cruise liner. and As long as there are no secret zombies , I'll be fine.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • In case of a zombie attack, I would call my friends:
    legxv.jpg
    I am in this picture. I also do viking and medieval re-enactment, and could gather a small army of zombie meat-grinders in a couple of hours. We just need to sharpen those blunt show fight weapons, and we are ready to go. Some of these guys are also hunters and/or collectors of modern and historical firearms. We even have a military trained bomb expert. Oh, there are archers as well. As most of these people are geeks, the combined zombie knowledge and problem solving skills are phenomenal. We shall overcome.

As Scrym said in the show: If something as unlikely as a zombie attack happens, chances are magic works as well. In that same line of thought, It would also be a very good chance that I have the body and skills of Conan.

This gave me an idea: Zombies vs. Geeks - Teh Movie!
  • edited October 2006

As Scrym said in the show: If something as unlikely as a zombie attack happens, chances are magic works as well. In that same line of thought, It would also be a very good chance that I have the body and skills of Conan.
    Well, no Actually, that would not necessarily be. One of the few good comments in the novel "Timeline" (a book about a group of scientists that get thrown back to the dark ages) was that the guy who was into sword play and and weapons (and was a champion heavy weapon user) was no where near as conditioned as the warriors of old. Since he did not spend every waking hour training. So chances are since you did not grow up a barbarian that you would not be conditioned in the same way Conan was. However, 5 years of living with the zombie invasion you might! Again it's always good to avoid conflict with the zombies since there is a good chance you'll be overwhelmed. if you engage in melee combat, no matter how large your force is.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited October 2006
    Well, to quote Neo from The Matrix: "We need guns, lots of guns".
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    I have to say, I liked the way I put it. However, I agree that the I's should have been capitalized.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have to say I liked the way I put it. However I agree that the I's should have been capital.
    You make it too easy.
  • edited October 2006
    That's it: I am never going to use a capital "i" ever again.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Thats it, I am never going to use a capital I ever again.
    Do not tempt Mr. Period! Ph34r his wrath!
  • edited October 2006
    You know, we could all start talking in l33t. That would sure throw him!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I don't know about that. He might just decide to start correcting teh l33t.
  • Gr@mm@r i$ t3h $uck
  • Mr. Period seems to ignore 1337 speak.
  • edited October 2006
    You know, I use Firefox and have an extention that allows me to type in 1337 without any effort. As such:

50, 83|13v3 17 0r n07, h3r3 17 15! |\/|4n. |\/|r. P3r10d w1|| 83 50 p1553d! 73|-| P\/\/|\|! Y34|-|!

()k4y, 50 w3'r3 74|k1n6 1n 1337, r16h7? ()k4y. 5h3 53||5 5345h3||5 8y 7h3 5345h0r3.
    73h pwn73h pwn73h pwn73h pwn73h pwn73h pwn73h pwn73h pwn!

Okay, I'm done now. Yep.

I think Mr. Period ignores 1337 because while it's really annoying, It's not really improper grammer (though if Mr. Period started correcting our grammer in 1337, 7h47 w0u|d 83 |_|83R P\/\/|\|!)
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I hope I'm remembering this correctly but I seem to recall the guys mentioning that the world's current population would outnumber the zombies even if everyone who'd died returns. In the 03 November 2006 podcast New Scientist (the Last Word section) estimated that the dead would number at approximately 60 billion leading to about a 10-1 disadvantage for the living.
  • Only 10-1? I'm pretty sure everyone could take out ten zombies with the right weapons/knowhow. :D What we really need to know is the number of undead vs. number of zombie-aware geeks.
  • yea since most people would quickly die. It would be more like 10O+ to one. So we would be screwed.