This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Drive (and competitors)

Comments

• A few years ago when I bought my laptop, I got a MacBook Pro powerful enough to be a home PC as well as something I could take with me when traveling (I travel about 200 days a year). I thought about getting an iMac for home and a smaller MacBook for the road, but at the time the MacBook Air wasn't out, and wouldn't have been powerful enough. But the main reason I got one machine was that I didn't want to have to be swapping data all the time.

Now, with Dropbox and iCloud, and maybe even a service like Google Drive, I'd be able to do it easily. I took my old plastic MacBook around Africa, and when I got home I didn't have to do any extra copying to my newer laptop, as everything just went automagically via Dropbox, and I'd kept all the video and photo data on external hard drives anyway.

Life gets better all the time.

But I'd rather use Dropbox and iCloud, because they are paid services, and not a free one like Google Drive. When it comes to hosting data, I like to pay for it, thank you.
  • A few years ago when I bought my laptop, I got a MacBook Pro powerful enough to be a home PC as well as something I could take with me when traveling (I travel about 200 days a year). I thought about getting an iMac for home and a smaller MacBook for the road, but at the time the MacBook Air wasn't out, and wouldn't have been powerful enough. But the main reason I got one machine was that I didn't want to have to be swapping data all the time.

Now, with Dropbox and iCloud, and maybe even a service like Google Drive, I'd be able to do it easily. I took my old plastic MacBook around Africa, and when I got home I didn't have to do any extra copying to my newer laptop, as everything just went automagically via Dropbox, and I'd kept all the video and photo data on external hard drives anyway.

Life gets better all the time.

But I'd rather use Dropbox and iCloud, because they are paid services, and not a free one like Google Drive. When it comes to hosting data, I like to pay for it, thank you.
    Google Drive is only free for 5GB. You have to pay for more storage. That's the same as Dropbox, although the prices are different.
  • edited April 2012
    Not sure if you're speechless about the redundancy of Google drive, it's predictably short lifespan, or the massive amount of data schlong waving going on in this thread.

Post edited by Dr. Timo on
    As long as I can get the panties back at any time and they're in the same condition they were when I put them in, why should I give a shit?
    Not sure if you're speechless about the redundancy of Google drive, it's predictably short lifespan, or the massive amount of data schlong waving going on in this thread.
    I posted the same panties tweet as Schnevets before I saw he'd posted it. Personally I have no problem with any company having any of my data, as I make sure they never have the only copy of anything, but it's a funny tweet.
  • edited May 2012
    Just uninstalled and deactivated Dropbox for GDrive. Pretty slick, I think I'll stick with it. If I pay for a storage increase, it'd be a decent photo archive solution while I'm on the go, coupled with my usual external drive.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Just uninstalled and deactivated Dropbox for GDrive. Pretty slick, I think I'll stick with it. If I pay for a storage increase, it'd be a decent photo archive solution while I'm on the go, coupled with my usual external drive.
    Why would you use anything for photo storage other than Flickr? Flickr is so cheap for infinite storage.

• Maybe because I hadn't investigated the option yet?
  • Just uninstalled and deactivated Dropbox for GDrive. Pretty slick, I think I'll stick with it. If I pay for a storage increase, it'd be a decent photo archive solution while I'm on the go, coupled with my usual external drive.
    Why would you use anything for photo storage other than Flickr? Flickr is so cheap for infinite storage.
    Since, I mostly take pictures with my iPhone, G+ automatically uploads any photo I take onto my G+ profile cloud. I can choose to either delete or share on later on. Best thing ever.
    Since, I mostly take pictures with my iPhone, G+ automatically uploads any photo I take onto my G+ profile cloud. I can choose to either delete or share on later on. Best thing ever.
    I do this also. Can't hurt to have in multiple places if it's free.
  • Except that, if you stop paying Flickr, they remove access all your pictures except the most recent 200 until you pay them again. That's evil and the sole reason why I left flickr.
  • If you already have a Microsoft skydrive account from before April 22nd, you can get a free upgrade to 25 gigs. I haven't really used it at all, but storage is storage. Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for drobox-like software for syncing local folders? I can't really use dropbox at home since I have cellular internet which has a 5gig cap, but I'd like to be able to do some simple syncing.
  • Except that, if you stop paying Flickr, they remove access all your pictures except the most recent 200 until you pay them again. That's evil and the sole reason why I left flickr.
    Seriously? It's $25 a year.

Seriously.
    If you stop paying for a service, they stop providing it. How is that evil?
  • edited May 2012
    Except that, if you stop paying Flickr, they remove access all your pictures except the most recent 200 until you pay them again. That's evil and the sole reason why I left flickr.
    If you stop paying for a service, they stop providing it. How is that evil?
    When I signed up back in the day they didn't say anything about removing access to those photos. They don't even give you an option to take your photo's out if you decide that you're not going to renew. You have to pay to get access to your photos before you can get them out of flickr. That's effectively holding your shit ransom, which IS evil. Smart from a business perspective (and probably what I'd do in their shoes), but evil.
    Seriously? It's $25 a year.

Seriously.
    I stand by my principals.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I stand by my principals.
    Do they really deserve that?
  • I stand by my principals.
    Do they really deserve that?
    Meh, debatable, but my principals have always been a good way to check my flawed principles to see if the conclusions I come to are valid, and they are in agreement with me on this one.
  • Well, really, flickr is of more use as an offsite backup with the ability to show your pictures to people. I still keep all of my photos on my HDD, and on a backup HDD. The biggest problem on flickr to me once I let my paid account lapse, was that I couldn't show my photos to people quite as easily. If I really wanted to show them to other people, I still had them, I could e-mail them, put them on a usb key, whatever else I wanted to do.
  • I also keep photos locally and on Flickr and in a bunch of places. Only a fool puts all the eggs in one basket, king.
  • I've always used Picasa instead of Flickr and never had any trouble. Now that they've merged turned PIcasa basically into Google Photos, it makes everything even easier. The only argument I've had against it is tin-hat "Google owns you" stances. Plenty of storage, nice little photo editing, managing, and uploading application. Keep all my local copies backed up to a Carbonite account and I'm set.

I haven't had time to look into Google Drive but will consider switching from Dropbox. The only thing I really need and suspect it won't have yet is for iOS office apps to tap into GDrive for editing Word and Excel files from my phone.
  • There's only one reason I still use Flickr instead of Picasa, and that is the price. As I said. Flickr is $25 a year for unlimited.

Here is Google's current storage pricing, prices are monthly.

25 GB - $2.49
    100 GB - $4.99
    200 GB - $9.99
    400 GB - $19.99
    1 TB - $49.99
    2 TB - $99.99
    4 TB - $199.99
    8 TB - $399.99
    16 TB - $799.99

• CS6 comes out tomorrow. I'm upgrading my whole workflow to basically live within Adobe.

Thus, my primary photo manager will be Lightroom. Flickr and Picasa/Google will be just two export paths from there.
  • edited May 2012
    CS6 comes out tomorrow. I'm upgrading my whole workflow to basically live within Adobe.
    Are you buying the full product or doing the subscription thing?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • There's only one reason I still use Flickr instead of Picasa, and that is the price. As I said. Flickr is $25 a year for unlimited.

25 GB - $2.49
    100 GB - $4.99
    200 GB - $9.99
    400 GB - $19.99
    1 TB - $49.99
    2 TB - $99.99
    4 TB - $199.99
    8 TB - $399.99
    16 TB - $799.99

Aha, but according to Google: "Photos up to 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos up to 15 minutes won't count towards your free storage." I have a few hundred photos in my Picasa web albums and am currently using 0 MBs of my 1GB. They're all 1600 x 1064 which is plenty large.

25 GB - $2.49
    100 GB - $4.99
    200 GB - $9.99
    400 GB - $19.99
    1 TB - $49.99
    2 TB - $99.99
    4 TB - $199.99
    8 TB - $399.99
    16 TB - $799.99

Aha, but according to Google: "Photos up to 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos up to 15 minutes won't count towards your free storage." I have a few hundred photos in my Picasa web albums and am currently using 0 MBs of my 1GB. They're all 1600 x 1064 which is plenty large.
    I can upload full resolution files to Flickr, and I have them in RAW format on my NAS. My camera takes pictures at 4000x3000. All my videos are HD. I also have years of existing photos that take up more than 25GB of space.
  • I have the same constraints as Scott. Only phone pictures fit within that. My average video is at least a few GB of 1080p 60fps.
  • Then we have officially reached the point of "different strokes for different folks!" My camera is shooting somewhere in the 4000x3000 range, but I don't have a problem with letting the Picasa uploader scale them down to 1600 x 1064 so I can fit under the free storage rule. I also don't shoot much video, and if I did, it wouldn't likely be over 15min.
  • Then we have officially reached the point of "different strokes for different folks!" My camera is shooting somewhere in the 4000x3000 range, but I don't have a problem with letting the Picasa uploader scale them down to 1600 x 1064 so I can fit under the free storage rule. I also don't shoot much video, and if I did, it wouldn't likely be over 15min.
    Rym and Scott are the exception however. Even though some of them (Scott) try to paint themselves as the rule at times.
    Rym and Scott are the exception however. Even though some of them (Scott) try to paint themselves as the rule at times.
    You mean just Scott. I know I'm an abberation. ;^)

However, most any good camera is better than 1600 x 1064, so if you use just Picasa like that, you're ruining your photos and losing information unless you also store them somewhere else for a master backup.

• However, most any good camera is better than 1600 x 1064, so if you use just Picasa like that, you're ruining your photos and losing information unless you also store them somewhere else for a master backup.
    That's pretty much what I do. I use Picasa just for picture sharing on the web where I don't care about maximum resolution. My real photos are stored in Adobe Lightroom on my computer and backed up offsite via a cloud backup account. I should probably also have an onsite backup, but I've been a bit lazy and have only relied on my cloud backup up until now (my wife is much better with her data than I am when it comes to this -- even though I'm the one that told her to do so).