This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2012: Bobcats To The Front Of The Line

Comments

• Badge registration is re-opened and the hotel reservation system is accepting reservations now.

PAX ‏ @Official_PAX

One more time! We've relaunched PAX Prime registration: http://ow.ly/aF4Vd In addition our hotel system is live: http://ow.ly/aF4Zb
  • Badge registration is re-opened and the hotel reservation system is accepting reservations now.

PAX ‏ @Official_PAX

One more time! We've relaunched PAX Prime registration: http://ow.ly/aF4Vd In addition our hotel system is live: http://ow.ly/aF4Zb
    I just saw this, I then went to buy pass, THEY ARE ALREADY SOLD OUT OF 3 DAY! I need a paycheck to come in to buy the 3 single day passes or go for panels/E...

Damn that was fast.
  • Holy crap. So much for my idea of not Enforcing this year.
  • edited May 2012
    Are you serious? I wasn't even able to get out of work in time to order my badge!

Do I really have to order THREE single-day passes just to get in?!
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Are you serious? I wasn't even able to get out of work in time to order my badge!

Do I really have to order THREE single-day passes just to get in?!
    Exact same thing happened to me. I had to bite the bullet and pay for three separate passes. This is my first PAX, too...
  • Jesus Christ, do you guys have any spare 3-day passes that they'd be able to sell me?
  • edited May 2012
    For reals. I just bought Friday and Saturday since Sunday tends to be pretty tame anyway (though missing final round of Omegathon would suck). Hopefully my friend at Nintendo can snag some 3-days from them and I'll just sell the single days.

EDIT: As my friend said, looks like scalpers finally figured out how good this event is for them.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, this really sucks. I guess I won't be attending this year, which is incredibly disappointing. PAX is the only out-of-state convention I'd ever consider attending.
  • Wow, how the hell did that happen? I was lucky to get one badge during the failure of a registration period, but then my girlfriend didn't get one, and they're sold out less than a day after reopening?
  • Scalpers, I bet.
  • Scalpers, I bet.
    Or people wanting to make a buck...it begins.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, fuck. That's not cool at all.
  • Well, I guess we've found a flaw in the easily-transferable registration system. This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Well then.
  • Had to shell out a bit more than expected, but 1-day passes for each day acquired. :) Anyone got any advice for a first-timer?
  • We told you to buy the badges the second they go one sale. You didn't listen. Y U NO LISTEN?!
  • Touch nothing and no one. Wash your hands often.
  • edited May 2012
    I was at work at the time, and away from the computer. There was nothing I could do. Is there still any chance to become an Enforcer, or something like that?
  • We told you to buy the badges the second they go one sale. You didn't listen. Y U NO LISTEN?!
    I did but then their vendor sucked and I didn't see the tweet that they were back online.

They didn't tell people when they were going to be back online. Some people do not spend every waking moment by their computers.

Also, kind of feeling awesome that I don't go to PAX Prime. Thinking if this is going to be the new norm, then hotel shit is going to go hand-in-hand with it and it's just not worth it. I will await the opening of a bigger venue.

• There will be no bigger venue in Seattle. ;^)

As for East, I guarantee this will happen every year henceforth. That venue can't be expanded any time soon, and there are very few larger venues anywhere, nevermind anywhere with enough hotels and other accommodations nearby.
  • There will be no bigger venue in Seattle.
    I didn't say this was a condition with a timeline attached. If it never finds a bigger venue, I can just not go.

That said, there are other things that might convince me to go. But I'm not gonna spend big bucks to have a stress-filled weekend. I was pretty close to finding the cheapest way to get back to Albany because of the Hotel situation at East on Friday night. I was stressed and bitchier than normal the whole weekend because of that.
  • To be fair, the hotel attached to East is a huge failure in that they overbook like a normal hotel, but PAX attendees don't give up their rooms at the same rate as "normal" people. I've had similar problems at many anime cons in the past. The only way around it for any large con is to arrive the day before.

For any big event that taxes the local hotel ecosystem, you're basically fucked if you show up last.
  • edited May 2012
    If anything PAX needs to stop the single day pass nonsense and just sell PAX badges. It's all or nothing.

My fail is that Jeremy finally told me he didn't want to Enforce and so we ended up paying more now. Ugh.

Edit: Also, it seems to me it would be nice if they would announce a date of when badges will go on sale. A lot of people can't be at computers all the time to be able to see the tweets. Yeah, we knew they went on sale a week ago before it went down, but no one really knew exactly when it was going to go up. (Non PAX employees, that is.)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited May 2012
    We told you to buy the badges the second they go one sale. You didn't listen. Y U NO LISTEN?!
    Dude. They sold out in 6 hours. There will have to be a point when you admit your advice is really no longer reasonable.

EDIT: Nothing but 3-day passes would temporarily alleviate the situation, that's for sure.

And next year, we show up Thursday at, like, noon.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Six hours is a lot of time. You should be physically attached to the Internet at all times, like me, and you won't miss things like this. That is why Google Goggles I will pay all the money day one. Welcome to the present.
  • Six hours is a lot of time. You should be physically attached to the Internet at all times, like me, and you won't miss things like this. That is why Google Goggles I will pay all the money day one. Welcome to the present.
    If I could be wired in with Google Goggles all the time, that'd be awesome. As it is, I have to consult the God Phone in order to have ubiquitous Internet access, and that thing is, at any moment, either 1) dead or 2) eating my fucking battery faster than I can navigate to a webpage.

Also, I often have a lab coat and gloves on for 6 hours at a time. I'm not handling my phone when I'm covered in pathogen, thank you very much.
  • I love how Scott is immersed in his own little world and doesn't understand that there are people who have lives drastically different from his. It's cute.

Personally, I'm glad that my garbage men are quick and efficient rather than stopping every 30 seconds to check for new tweets. I'm thankful that bus and taxi drivers are not checking for internet updates while driving their routes. I'm fully supportive of the people who work in the field, away from the internet, during the day so I can continue to enjoy infrastructure like roads, electricity, and FiOS. Because we haven't invented machines yet that can do all those things for us.
  • You should be physically attached to the Internet at all times, like me, and you won't miss things like this.
    That's a little deluded and unrealistic, don't you think? If work and/or school doesn't allow that sort of attachment, then you're not living in the present times? What if you don't work at a job that gives you access to the internet, or if you are at a job that requires away-from-internet attention, or if you are in a class that restricts internet access?