This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2012: Bobcats To The Front Of The Line

Comments

• edited May 2012
    But Scott you could visit :-p

Anyhow, my two cents. Enforcer and get in :-p

It's important to note, once you've enforced once, you always have access to their enforcer website and therefore always have a backup plan in terms of enforcing if the badges sell out before you get them.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2012
    You could visit PAX city, but all the special events in town will be sold out to people who live there. Also, the fire marshall will shut down any business that opens, as it will immediately fill beyond the limit. Even if they open all the stores simultaneously, they all fill to capacity immediately. Even the giant nerd Wegman's.

The only thing outsiders will really be able to get into are the outdoor festival events with no limits. Watch out MAGStock, here comes PAXStock.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Thread title was surprisingly correct.
  • Okay, Scott and Rym, I think you have said enough times that you have been telling people this would happen literally forever. I think everyone gets the point. You do not need to keep repeating it for it to sink in.

The question being asked is, since you have been warning everybody about it, what do you recommend we actually do to increase our chances of being able to get a badge. Your answer is effectively "have no obligations that keep you from being on the internet at any given time or suck it up." Thanks, that's very helpful. But also, pretty much true.

In summary, if you want to go to PAX and you didn't get a badge, keep an eye out for the open enforcer call because it's gonna be MOBBED this year.
  • Even the giant nerd Wegman's.
    I kind of love this mental image.

• Cities can expand, y'know. The PAX suburbs could be a thing. Maybe some PAX city folk want to move out and be geeky in a rural setting. Play Harvest Moon for real.
  • edited May 2012

The question being asked is, since you have been warning everybody about it, what do you recommend we actually do to increase our chances of being able to get a badge. Your answer is effectively "have no obligations that keep you from being on the internet at any given time or suck it up." Thanks, that's very helpful. But also, pretty much true.
    Yea I agree 100% Nuri, telling people that because they work a non-internet related job that might keep them away from a desk for 5 hours means they don't want to go to PAX prime enough especially when the announcement that reg is open could happen at anytime is crazy.

Still, there are millions of Geeks and only about 20k badges and life isn't fair. There is always East until that starts happening there. Then there will be PAX Chicago, and a imposed one PAX per year rule :-p

• Can't you just get an always-on-the-Internet friend to buy them for you?
  • edited May 2012
    4. Special badges with ludicrous prices: This would let rich nerds guarantee their spots, which goes against much of what PA is about and only helps people with money to burn, at the expense of everyone else. Normal badges still sell out.
    Funny enough, I was talking about this on FB. My friend Chris, parkour AZN posse guy, says this:

"I would totally buy a lifetime membership if they offered it. I imagine it would be in the range of $1000 and I would gladly pay it for a con I will foreseeably go to for the rest of its or my existence and never, EVER, EVAR have to worry about reg'ing again."

I'm just annoyed that my boyfriend couldn't make a command decision which resulted in costing us more money.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Everyone is using job as an excuse. Your job is not part of your genetic makeup that you have no control over. You choose your job. I refuse to work any job that would disconnect me from the Internet because the things on the Internet are more important to me. If you have already chosen a job that disconnects you from the Internet, then you have already chosen to have very low chances of getting PAX badges.
  • edited May 2012
    Don't you only need one internet-connected person per group of 5? It doesn't seem to me that you sacrifice all that much as long as you know someone who can buy the badge for you.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Except I don't currently have the skills to get a job that allows me to sit in front of a computer and have a sedentary lifestyle, but need a job to pay for little things and save up a bit for college. So which job should I take, Scott? The retail job that would fire me for having my phone, the retail job that would fire me for having my phone, or the retail job that would fire me for having my phone?

I didn't intend on going to Prime at all, and am watching this amused, but your argument is basically "Any job that prevents you from being on the internet 24/7 is a sign of a worthless person", and I find it obnoxious.
  • No, while it's somewhat caustically presented due to Scott-nature (like Mouse Nature in Mouse Guard), the point is more simply that:

If you want to attend popular nerd events, and you aren't able or willing to be constantly connected, you're fucked.

It's not a value judgement. You want food and gainful employment more than you want PAX.
  • Except I don't currently have the skills to get a job that allows me to sit in front of a computer and have a sedentary lifestyle, but need a job to pay for little things and save up a bit for college. So which job should I take, Scott? The retail job that would fire me for having my phone, the retail job that would fire me for having my phone, or the retail job that would fire me for having my phone?

I didn't intend on going to Prime at all, and am watching this amused, but your argument is basically "Any job that prevents you from being on the internet 24/7 is a sign of a worthless person", and I find it obnoxious.
    If you were a bum, using the libraries internet, you would be going to PAX :-p

If you were a bum, using the libraries internet, you would be going to PAX :-p

Bum doesn't have a credit card.

• edited May 2012
    A Visa/MasterCard debit card works just fine, though it's true that a full-on bum would have neither.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2012
    Not necessarily true, if he quit his retail jobs and was forced into the streets, there is a good chance he'll still maintain some credit cards..

• It's not a value judgement. You want food and gainful employment more than you want PAX.
    Yup. I'd say your priorities are in the right place, too.
    Bum doesn't have a credit card.
    Are you sure? How do you think he got to be a bum in the first place?

• Not necessarily true, if he quit his retail jobs and was forced into the streets, there is a good chance he'll still maintain some credit cards..

So, funny story.... I have no credit history. At 27ish. Which makes applying for credit cards... fun.
  • So, funny story.... I have no credit history. At 27ish. Which makes applying for credit cards... fun.
    Egad. That was a mistake made too long ago to quickly or easily correct.

You need to get a credit card as soon as your parents can co-sign for one in your name. I was 16 when I had my first credit card, and that single act of parental foresight has served me extremely well. I have a 14 year credit history and I'm only 30.

• edited May 2012
    So, funny story.... I have no credit history. At 27ish. Which makes applying for credit cards... fun.
    Same here. If I want something, I save for it. I have an emergency fund, for those times where people say "Well, I just have a credit card for when I have to (Blah)". If I don't have the money, I don't buy it. It might be an issue later, but when it is, I'll deal with it then - it's more trouble than it's worth right now to maintain one. However, I already have that point planned out, fortunately, the system is a little different here to the US. It's entirely possible to live here for your entire adult life without obtaining a credit card, and ridiculously easy to get one if you want one.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Not necessarily true, if he quit his retail jobs and was forced into the streets, there is a good chance he'll still maintain some credit cards..
    Have you actually tried? They don't just give you one, even a low limit one? Go apply for the Amazon Visa. Just fill out the form. See what happens. You may be surprised. All you have to do is fill out a form. Best case a credit card shows up in the mail. Worst case, nothing happens. I use this card for everything, I get many hundreds of dollars of free stuff on Amazon.

Amazon.com Credit
  • That's probably ok only if you never want to buy a big ticket item like a car or a house at a good interest rate or with anything less then all the cash you need for it.
  • Sure, but at least it gets you started on having a credit history.
    I need to do that myself :S
  • edited May 2012
    We had this credit card talk several times already. :P

But yeah, PAX. Going to PAX. Woohoo. Don't plan on Enforcing. I also signed up to be considered for the Omegathon.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I also do not buy anything I can not afford. I just use the credit card to do it, and they pay it off in full every single month. I think I may have carried a balance for one month in college when my car broke, but paid it in full the next month. Result is I have no debt, since I just paid my student loans, and I get rewards and protections from using the card. Minus is that the government knows everything I have bought and can totally track everything about me.
  • edited May 2012
    Have you actually tried?
    Thrice.

Basically, the problem was my parents refused to cosign a card for me when I was younger, and I never had any student loans or debts that can be put on my credit report. I'm looking into secured cards as a way of building something if I can't get a "real" card.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Yah, get a secured card and use it for basic stuff. Your credit will build quickly after that.
  • edited May 2012

The only thing outsiders will really be able to get into are the outdoor festival events with no limits. Watch out MAGStock, here comes PAXStock.
    Speaking of MAGstock anyone want to make it down there this year? Last year from what I heard went very well and this year they are looking to expand. TT games by the stage and all will be good.

From a trusted source...Saturday passes SOLD OUT. Going to call it being 100% out before the 7th.
    Post edited by Coldguy on