This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Software Essentials

edited May 2012 in Technology
I'm working on building a computer with my girlfriend. OK her and a friend are doing all the work and I'm just there to look pretty. They asked me what programs I want on my PC and I could only name the basics.

So forum. What are some programs you consider essential to your PC?

Comments

• http://ninite.com/

Use this as a list. That way she can do a one-click install of everything you want. My package is generally:

Chrome
    Spotify
    LibreOffice
    CCCP codecs
    iTunes
    uTorrent
    MS Security Essentials
    Various runtimes
    7-Zip
    Notepad++
    Picasa
  • There is no such thing. Lots of people keep asking this same, or similar, stupid question. For example "What apps should I get on my phone?" The question itself is wrong.

What you should do is USE your phone/computer/etc. Just use it with nothing on it. Then as you are using it, if you find that you need something you do not have, then go get that thing. It's the same with changing default configurations and settings. Do not change anything! Just use your computer and if something is wrong, and you discover that changing a setting is the solution, THEN you change that, and only that.

If you have a clean machine and you start installing a whole bunch of apps right off the bat, you are doing it wrong.
  • This is one of the rare occasions I completely and unconditionally agree with Scott.
  • http://ninite.com/

Use this as a list. That way she can do a one-click install of everything you want. My package is generally:

Chrome
    Spotify
    LibreOffice
    CCCP codecs
    iTunes
    uTorrent
    MS Security Essentials
    Various runtimes
    7-Zip
    Notepad++
    Picasa
    Why 7-zip? Windows can open zip files natively. Unless someone's going to be opening tars, gzs, etc..., there's no reason. ;^)
  • This is one of the rare occasions I completely and unconditionally agree with Scott.
  • edited May 2012
    Oh, I might add that when you inevitably do come across a situation where you need an app, then it is appropriate to ask. But even when you ask, you have to ask properly. When you ask for technical help, you must state your problem. 90% of the time people do not state their problem, they ask for instructions on how to implement their incorrect solution.

For example, someone might ask "How do I make this particular FTP server work on Windows?" I will immediately ask "Why do you need an FTP server?" You need to tell me what you were trying to do in the first place. "I need to send this 1GB file to my friend. How do I do that?" Now THAT is a real question, and setting up an FTP server may work, but is not the best or easiest solution at all.

Also, I want to take this opportunity to remind you that CCCP is useless unnecessary garbage. VLC, XBMC/Boxee, and MPlayer can all play every single video file imaginable. Pick one. I have yet to meet a video file that will not play perfectly every single time.

If you are asking about an app do not ask "What is the best program that does X" instead ask "I need to do X, but I don't know how. How do I do X?"
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Why 7-zip? Windows can open zip files natively. Unless someone's going to be opening tars, gzs, etc..., there's no reason. ;^)
    It extracts RAR files and it's lighter than WinRAR.
  • Why 7-zip? Windows can open zip files natively. Unless someone's going to be opening tars, gzs, etc..., there's no reason. ;^)
    It extracts RAR files and it's lighter than WinRAR.
    This.

Cause 7-Zip does it way faster (compressing and uncompressing), integrates seamlessly with windows context menus, and it's completely open source and free. I use it all the time.
    Also, I want to take this opportunity to remind you that CCCP is useless unnecessary garbage. VLC, XBMC/Boxee, and MPlayer can all play every single video file imaginable. Pick one. I have yet to meet a video file that will not play perfectly every single time.
    CCCP works just as well as any of those and is really easy. Not sure why you hate it so much.
  • edited May 2012
    7-Zip is the best way to un-rar on Windows.

You may argue whether or not CCCP is trustworthy/untrustworthy. I personally don't trust something so shady. Even if it is not shady at all, at bare minimum it has committed the crime of having a million useless checkboxes. Even if it does work, why bother with some hacky, ghetto, unpolished software, when there are high quality slick, professional, free, non-ghetto alternatives?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh, I use 7-zip for just that purpose. I just wanted to be sure that was the purpose for its installation. Most people never encounter bzip or rar files.
  • Find an example of a video that won't play in Mplayer and VLC, but will play in CCCP, and you can win the argument over it.
  • Oh, I use 7-zip for just that purpose. I just wanted to be sure that was the purpose for its installation. Most people never encounter bzip or rar files.
    Really? I get rar files all the time. Mostly from Mediafire downloads and in torrents, but still.
  • Find an example of a video that won't play in Mplayer and VLC, but will play in CCCP, and you can win the argument over it.
    When I don't have real work to do. I just always found CCCP easy. Sure there are checkboxes, but you don't actually have to change any of them.
    Really? I get rar files all the time. Mostly from Mediafire downloads and in torrents, but still.
    I see a rar file in a torrent, but only once in a blue moon. Usually what I do when I see one is get a different torrent that doesn't have rar.
    When I don't have real work to do. I just always found CCCP easy. Sure there are checkboxes, but you don't actually have to change any of them.
    Then why are they even there? Because the software is poorly designed shit.
  • I feel obliged to note that this is about to become a Scott Argument.
    It's intentional, otherwise this thread would be over already.
    In this case, I agree with Scott. There is no good reason on god's green earth to use CCCP, and I defy anyone to offer a counter-example.
  • Notepad++ is one of the few things I suggest people install even if they don't immediately have a use for it. However, I qualify this by stating that I only suggest this if the person is reasonably technical, in which case they likely do indeed have specific uses for it in mind.

Now, what do you mean by "various runtimes?"
  • Yup. Any chance I had for getting the information I was looking for died in 12 minutes.

So I ventured elsewhere and found it shortly thereafter.
  • Notepad++
    I've started using Sublime Text 2, and I haven't looked back.

http://www.sublimetext.com/2
  • Yup. Any chance I had for getting the information I was looking for died in 12 minutes.

What? You got a good list actually. Umbrage was only taken with one of the suggestions.

There is also an extremely valid argument that, aside from a superbly bare list of essentials, almost everything one might install is superfluous at this stage.

• edited May 2012
    Now, what do you mean by "various runtimes?"
    Well, what Ninite has under "Runtimes." Flash and Java are obvious, Silverlight for Netflix, and Adobe Air usually gets installed because a lot of Adobe's latest stuff requires it. .NET gets ignored until I need it, and who the hell uses Shockwave anymore?

I do only install things I know I'll use. Perhaps CCCP isn't the best choice for one of those things, but that list is reasoned, and I use all of those programs on a more-or-less daily basis.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Not a fan of Notepad ++. You can use regular Notepad for text editing. If you need REAL text editing you know how to use vim or emacs. If you don't know how to use vim or emacs. I don't see the need for the in-between text editor.

As for those runtimes.

Don't go out of your way to install Flash. Just have it be installed the first time you inevitably go to YouTube.

Don't install Java EVER unless you are a Java programmer. Java is the #1 source of security vulnerabilities. Unless you constantly update your JRE every single day, you will likely be hit by some nasty payload embedded in a web page. I do not have Java on any of my machines, and I never need it.

Don't install Silverlight. If you ever go to watch a Netflix movie, then it will install. Same for Air.

Just install things as you need them.
    Yup. Any chance I had for getting the information I was looking for died in 12 minutes.

And this is why you will always have computer problems. My computers are always perfect and never have any problems whatsoever. Yet, people don't listen to me, then complain when their computers have problems. Then we have an I told you so thread. Then somehow I'm the bad guy.

• Well, what Ninite has under "Runtimes." Flash and Java are obvious, Silverlight for Netflix, and Adobe Air usually gets installed because a lot of Adobe's latest stuff requires it. .NET gets ignored until I need it, and who the hell uses Shockwave anymore?

I do only install things I know I'll use. Perhaps CCCP isn't the best choice for one of those things, but that list is reasoned, and I use all of those programs on a more-or-less daily basis.
    Never install Java unless you have a specific need for something that uses it. Java is dangerous: more dangerous than Adobe Reader.
  • edited May 2012
    Java's for Minecraft. I don't quite see what the difference is between installing Flash, Air, and Silverlight when I finish building the PC and 30 minutes later when I open up my lecture notes in PDF form and start watching some videos, but w/e.

EDIT: On the plus side, this is getting me to uninstall a ton of shit that's kind of accumulated. None of it shady, but still many programs I don't use.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Scott, I think its your tone. You have a very blunt, direct manner of speaking, something many people aren't used to. Think about how you tend to say things vs. Rym saying the. Same thing. Even though the intent is the same, Rym sounds like he's giving friendly advice. You sound like a scolding parent.
  • Java's for Minecraft. I don't quite see what the difference is between installing Flash, Air, and Silverlight when I finish building the PC and 30 minutes later when I open up my lecture notes in PDF form and start watching some videos, but w/e.

EDIT: On the plus side, this is getting me to uninstall a ton of shit that's kind of accumulated. None of it shady, but still many programs I don't use.
    You answered your own question. Sure, we know for a fact that you 100% most likely need Flash, but maybe not... Maybe you only need it for YouTube, and Chrome HTML5 is working, and you don't actually need it.

And sure, it won't actually hurt anything directly to install it out of the gate instead of waiting until you use it. But it does create a bad habit. Those things you are uninstalling? That's because you had this bad habit of installing things you didn't need in the first place. I go to check for things to uninstall, and I have a hard time finding things that aren't Steam games.