This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Software Essentials

Comments

• Why is it necessary to use a different renderer to take screenshots?
    Not every renderer is capable of taking screenshots, the default overlay mixer is chosen for various reasons (ask CCCP developers for specific details), it's just incapable of taking screenshots. So if you want to take screenshots the easy way, you can change a single setting and you're set for life.
    Screenshots can be obtained many ways with much less trouble. Ro even got a screenshot using the old alt+prtscr trick!
    Less trouble than changing a single setting in a friendly GUI? Or do you think creating a config file to tell MPlayer to add a specific video filter to its procedure so you can take screenshots to be less trouble? Do you think using the "old" Alt + Print Screen "trick", then opening up image editing software, then pasting and saving said screenshot to be less trouble?
    I haven't watched very much fansubbed anime in a long time because pretty much everything I want to watch is free legal streaming.
    Entirely irrelevant to the discussion, and the entire world shares your exact personal situation with much enjoyment.
    Those fansubs that I have downloaded have all played perfectly. Watched all of Madoka no problem. Was beautiful, would watch again.
    Also irrelevant to the discussion. It also took a while before you even began watching the show, at which point software was largely already updated.
    Perfect and flawless on the end users side, you are the end user. If something weird is happening in the background, what do you care? Don't look there. The video plays in its entirety. The audio plays. They are synchronized. There are full HDs. You enjoy the show. Mission accomplished. Nothing wrong with browser in quirks mode. Page loads, you can use the page, it renders properly, all is well.
    Because weird shit in the background can eventually cause unwanted results. Most obvious one being using more resources, meaning that there might come a moment in an episode that grinds the entire system to halt. Or subtitle text being unreadable because the subtitle renderer cannot deal with some of the make up and fucks up the entire thing. And a browser in quirks mode is an indication of problems that might result in the website being unusable. The word you sought was "fine".
    Madoka opener sample file specifically crafted to cause a problem? Nice try. Find a real world example. Take any application in the universe and someone can craft a file it can't deal with.

PANIC!!
    No, it wasn't specifically crafted you idiot. Unless you mean "encoded in Hi10P as was being done with entire episodes at that time" with "specifically crafted". I can procure "specifically crafted" video files that will make your eyes bleed if you view them with specific versions of video players because those were intentionally made to abuse as many flaws and bugs possible in the rendering code of said targeted video players. This file, is not. But I digress. Have a real world example.
    Try finding a video that someone would actually encounter in the wild that is worth watching that CCCP is the only thing that can play it. You know, something that isn't on YouTube that you would actually have to download. And even if MPlayer development is behind on one particular codec, can VLC XBMC play it? I bet they can.
    That would require us to go back in time, because, as I already said, the other video players have since updated to support Hi10P. Not a single one of your suggested players was able to properly play Hi10P encoded video back. The solution was CCCP (which comes with MPC), CoreAVC (with MPC), MadVR (with MPC) or LAV (with MPC).

A final question, I pointed you to a specific video, as you requested. Have I won the argument yet?
  • It cost $22 US for 3 months.
    That sounds awesome. 22 USD for 3 months, so I can watch free anime online. Great suggestion!
    [] Told
    [] Untold
    [X] CrunchyTold

• edited May 2012
    I just got IPredator VPN. It ruins your ping for online gaming, but the bandwidth is crazy high. If you have it on, you don't even realize it is slowing you down in any way. It was trivial to setup, and the documentation was amazing. It cost $22 US for 3 months.
    Torrents are free.
    EDIT: Kinda pointless for me to say it I guess.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Wait, so the problem isn't even that the video players won't play it, but that they just don't play it YET? As in the people encoding are using a codec they know is only supported by CCCP because it is super brand new?

Real solution - stop using codecs that you invented yesterday.

Would you say that every browser besides Chrome is crap because it doesn't support WebP? https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/ No, because no web site maker in their right mind would actually use WebP until it had greater support. If you make a site using WebP, and then it doesn't work for most people, if you tell them they should all use Chrome, then YOU are the wrong party. Also, WebP support is not exactly the best feature to go bragging about if you are trying to argue Chrome is the best browser.

Sounds to me like making a Hi10P video file is like making a web site with WebP.
  • I just got IPredator VPN. It ruins your ping for online gaming, but the bandwidth is crazy high. If you have it on, you don't even realize it is slowing you down in any way. It was trivial to setup, and the documentation was amazing. It cost $22 US for 3 months.
    Torrents are free.
    EDIT: Kinda pointless for me to say it I guess.
    Not that I'm obsessed with speed, and I do use torrents frequently, but you kids are often much more impatient than I am. If you want to watch something, streaming starts playing immediately. Torrents have a waiting period before the watching period.
  • edited May 2012
    free legal streaming.
    Only in US probably.

VPN/Proxy.
    Well, shit, maybe I shouldn't have decided not to post the comment I'd written. Here it is, unedited, fresh from my drafts.
    free legal streaming.
    Only in US probably.
    Usually. It normally works kinda like this:

-It streams in the US.
    -The rest of the world can go get fucked, Americans have theirs.
    -Rest of the world complains.
    -Americans on the internet tell them to STFU because it's fine in the US, and the outsiders can just go use a proxy or something who cares.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2012
    I don't see why Scott's arguing about configuration options. In my experience, CCCP works better out of the box than MPlayer does.
    I also found that, out of the box MPlayer was incapable of reasonably playing 720p on a netbook, while CCCP was - when I installed Linux on the netbook I had to go and download the forked project mplayer2 to get decent performance.

A similar point applies to anyone having trouble playing back 1080p on an old dual-core or a not-that-old laptop - the performance difference is likely enough to resolve the issue.
  • Hey, there is plenty of stuff you can get in other countries that you can't get in the US. In fact, most of the stuff that I actually want is outside the US. If you had my taste, you would complain that you couldn't play a South Korean video game because you need a national ID number. Or you might complain that you can't get Earthbound 1+2 or 3 except for some ROMs/fan translations. Or you might complain that you need a sattelite dish or pirate stream to watch any hockey game that isn't NHL or NCAA tournament finals. Or the fact that BBC player is UK only. Or how about all that music on Spotify that won't play in the US.

Every country has culture that they are locking away from other countries. Everyone needs a proxy or pirating to get stuff. It's just as bad as us as it is for you.

Also, why do you even want our shitty entertainment media? Every other country has better stuff than we do. Grass is greener?
  • Also, why do you even want our shitty entertainment media? Every other country has better stuff than we do. Grass is greener?
    Hahaha. Right. Go watch a couple episodes of The Only Way Is Essex and Hollyoaks and tell me if you still hold that opinion.
  • I don't see why Scott's arguing about configuration options. In my experience, CCCP works better out of the box than MPlayer does.
    I also found that, out of the box MPlayer was incapable of reasonably playing 720p on a netbook, while CCCP was - when I installed Linux on the netbook I had to go and download the forked project mplayer2 to get decent performance.

A similar point applies to anyone having trouble playing back 1080p on an old dual-core or a not-that-old laptop - the performance difference is likely enough to resolve the issue.
    The slowest working computer I have is a core solo ultra low voltage. It's mad weak. Modern netbooks are faster than it. Using mplayer or VLC with Ubuntu, I have never found an HD video file it could not play perfectly. The major problem it has is buffering up a 1080p YouTube video over wifi, but that's just my shitty ISP that isn't FIOS.

Actually, I do have a slower computer. I have a Google CR-48. It is incapable of playing any 1080p video whatsoever. It's so ridiculously weak, it can lag rendering single 1080p images. No matter what software you put on there, it can't cut it.
  • Also, why do you even want our shitty entertainment media? Every other country has better stuff than we do. Grass is greener?
    Hahaha. Right. Go watch a couple episodes of The Only Way Is Essex and Hollyoaks and tell me if you still hold that opinion.
    Everyone has shit and good stuff. I just have no interest in the supposedly good stuff from the US, and great interest in the good stuff from everywhere else.
  • edited May 2012
    Wait, so the problem isn't even that the video players won't play it, but that they just don't play it YET? As in the people encoding are using a codec they know is only supported by CCCP because it is super brand new?
    Hi10p is not a codec - it's a profile for H.264 which works better than the default people have been using for a while - even more so for anime, I believe. It results in quite a solid improvement in the quality/size ratio. Also, it's no longer new anyway - it's been around for at least a year and is now reasonably widely adopted.
    Scott, if I remember correctly, you are watching through imdb top 250, right? Now tell me how many of those films are Finnish and how many of those are American.

There are reasons why I want your "shitty entertainment media", and that is just one of the reasons.

• edited May 2012
    Also, why do you even want our shitty entertainment media? Every other country has better stuff than we do. Grass is greener?
    Everyone has shit and good stuff. I just have no interest in the supposedly good stuff from the US, and great interest in the good stuff from everywhere else.
    Then you're just as stunted as the people you deride for not focusing on their own domestic output.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
    Scott, if I remember correctly, you are watching through imdb top 250, right? Now tell me how many of those films are Finnish and how many of those are American.

There are reasons why I want your "shitty entertainment media", and that is just one of the reasons.

I want to watch your movies, put subtitles on them!
  • edited May 2012
    Every country has culture that they are locking away from other countries. Everyone needs a proxy or pirating to get stuff. It's just as bad as us as it is for you.

I know. That's why I didn't post it the first time, but your post made it an odd coincidence.

I wouldn't say it's exactly the same, though, for three reasons -
    1)America vastly beats any other nation on earth for sheer volume of output, and not just on shitty media, don't forget that the US also produces a ton of great shows, for example, Mythbusters, Flight of the Conchords, How I met your mother, Game of thrones, etc, etc. Good with the bad, I guess. And don't forget, Scott, MLP is part of that American media output you just called shitty. Unless you're saying we'd only want the shit, in which case, give yourself a crisp backhander.

2)Thanks to the size of the audience there, you often get both imports and remakes - for example, wilfred, the office, etc - which isn't often the case for other nations, where it can be very hit or miss, and what we do get is often either on TV once, and then on super-expensive DVDs (with prices influenced by American companies, who treat us like the anime industry treats the US and Japan), or best, both. If we're lucky, It'll get picked up by the ABC or one of the other networks, and then they are allowed to put it on watch-later streaming, which isn't always the case, especially since most of the quality content is Pay-TV only.

3)If that's the case, then why are you saying we should get a proxy for something that is both from another nation, and streaming US-only? It's not like you want to stream Home and Away or Neighbors, but it's not like we want to stream Big Bang Theory or X-factor 58 and a quarter. We want the same thing you want, really, but the difference is that you get it, and we don't. As it is, we mostly get the same stream of shit, but only about a quarter of the diamonds that are buried in it.
    Post edited by Churba on

I want to watch your movies, put subtitles on them!
    Give me a name of one Finish movie you are interested in watching and I might believe you.

• Mythbusters, Flight of the Conchords, How I met your mother, Game of thrones, etc, etc.
    Ponies are the only thing you listed I have any interest in. My opinion of US entertainment is much lower than many other people's. This is not a secret. I dislike, haven't seen, and/or have no interest in seeing any of those other things you listed. Also, ponies has been translated and distributed in many other countries, often moreso than in the US. I think I heard that Australia is actually getting the better of the DVD releases.

If I lived outside the US, I probably wouldn't even need to get a proxy. I might miss some sports, but it's trivial to illegally stream sports without one. I do that already, since I don't have cable. I'll be doing it tonight even!

Finnish movies? How about Tuntematon sotilas, which is very difficult to get with English subtitles. The Man Without a Past is possible, but expensive, to get. It's not exactly like these are torrents with a lot of seeds, if you can even find them at all.
  • Hold up, why would anyone care about American sports?
  • Hold up, why would anyone care about American sports?
    I care about (almost) all the sports! If I could pay to just watch every sport in the world, I would. How come I can't watch Aussie Rules football? How come the only time we can watch track & field, swimming, skiing, etc. is the Olympics? How come the only time we can watch cycling is the Tour de France? There are other events, but we can't see them here. Don't even get me started on racing. We're lucky we can see any F1 at all, let alone F3000 or anything else.
  • Twas a joek.
  • Finnish movies? How about Tuntematon sotilas, which is very difficult to get with English subtitles. The Man Without a Past is possible, but expensive, to get. It's not exactly like these are torrents with a lot of seeds, if you can even find them at all.
    http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5120029/Tuntematon_sotilas_[The_Unknown_Soldier_(1985)]_Fin_with_Eng_sub

Bam! Yea it doesn't have many seeds, but I don't think that little wait is small price to pay. It's not like I could get it any easier right now. Heck if I want to get it legally I would have to wait until morning, then I would have to walk to a store and buy the DVD. So you would probably get the film faster than I.
  • Finnish movies? How about Tuntematon sotilas, which is very difficult to get with English subtitles. The Man Without a Past is possible, but expensive, to get. It's not exactly like these are torrents with a lot of seeds, if you can even find them at all.
    http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5120029/Tuntematon_sotilas_[The_Unknown_Soldier_(1985)]_Fin_with_Eng_sub

Bam! Yea it doesn't have many seeds, but I don't think that little wait is small price to pay. It's not like I could get it any easier right now. Heck if I want to get it legally I would have to wait until morning, then I would have to walk to a store and buy the DVD. So you would probably get the film faster than I.
    You will be surprised how slow the Internet is here. A torrent with only a few seeds is most likely to never finish downloading. If it does complete, it can sometimes take days, or even weeks.
  • edited May 2012
    Ponies are the only thing you listed I have any interest in. My opinion of US entertainment is much lower than many other people's. This is not a secret. I dislike, haven't seen, and/or have no interest in seeing any of those other things you listed. Also, ponies has been translated and distributed in many other countries, often moreso than in the US. I think I heard that Australia is actually getting the better of the DVD releases.
    Yes Scott, I know that. That's why I said "America puts out a lot of quality programming" rather than "America puts out a lot of things Scott Rubin likes." Your personal opinion on these shows is not relevant in the slightest to the overall situation, which is going to make it difficult to actually try and discuss this with you in any meaningful way.

As for better of the DVD releases, I'll need to to specify what of. If it's just MLP, that's great(if you like MLP) but doesn't change the overall situation. It also doesn't change that what you'll pay 40 bucks for on Amazon, the vast majority of the time, we'll get a half-assed version of at thrice the price. In fact, the majority of the time, if you're buying shows on DVD down here, you're looking at $25-30 AUD per DVD at release, with 3 episodes on each DVD, 4-5 if you're lucky. Remember where I said the US treats us like Japan treats Anime fans?
    If I lived outside the US, I probably wouldn't even need to get a proxy. I might miss some sports, but it's trivial to illegally stream sports without one. I do that already, since I don't have cable. I'll be doing it tonight even!
    Brilliant! Do it! But, overall, that has zero relevance to the millions if not billions of people who are, in fact, not Scott Rubin, and do not live in the US. Nor does it solve a single problem with the current model.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Wait, am I not Scott Rubin? Yay?
  • You will be surprised how slow the Internet is here. A torrent with only a few seeds is most likely to never finish downloading. If it does complete, it can sometimes take days, or even weeks.
    Oh? Now I feel little bit sorry for you Scott. Let's hope that your dream land of absolute free speech, amazing Internet connections and +30 weather all day everyday comes true one day.

• Wait, so the problem isn't even that the video players won't play it, but that they just don't play it YET? As in the people encoding are using a codec they know is only supported by CCCP because it is super brand new?

Real solution - stop using codecs that you invented yesterday.

Would you say that every browser besides Chrome is crap because it doesn't support WebP? https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/ No, because no web site maker in their right mind would actually use WebP until it had greater support. If you make a site using WebP, and then it doesn't work for most people, if you tell them they should all use Chrome, then YOU are the wrong party. Also, WebP support is not exactly the best feature to go bragging about if you are trying to argue Chrome is the best browser.

Sounds to me like making a Hi10P video file is like making a web site with WebP.
    Why would you do that to such a nice looking straw man.

As Cheese was kind enough to already point out. There is nothing new about AVC. Hi10P is just a different profile. Notice how the two specific video files I linked that were encoded in Hi10P AVC played perfectly fine aside from the colours being completely wrong and fucked up. The profile existed for quite a long while before people started working with it. However, there was this pretty Catch-22 that I hinted at earlier. Nobody used Hi10P, so there was little incentive to speed up development to support it, similar to how nobody uses that WebP, therefore most browsers don't bother prioritizing development on it. Similar to how MPNG is used by nobody even when the odd developer support(ed) it. The magickal way of getting shit adopted is not on the developer side. It's on the other side, when people start using something, developers will start supporting it more widespread. Nobody uses WebP, nobody uses MPNG, so practically nobody supports it. However, people use JPG, PNG and GIF, so guess what. Developers spend their time to support that.

Using Hi10P back in summer 2011 was more akin to supporting APNG than WebP.

Now, again the simple question: The victory conditions you set out have been met. So Apreche, have I won the argument yet?
  • edited May 2012
    You will be surprised how slow the Internet is here. A torrent with only a few seeds is most likely to never finish downloading. If it does complete, it can sometimes take days, or even weeks.
    Oh? Now I feel little bit sorry for you Scott. Let's hope that your dream land of absolute free speech, amazing Internet connections and +30 weather all day everyday comes true one day.
    I dunno, I think +30 is a wee bit warm, maybe more the mid-high twenties or so. Warm enough to be really nice, so that you can enjoy a good cool breeze, but not hot enough that it makes it unpleasant to perform any physical activities, or makes you lethargic.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You will be surprised how slow the Internet is here. A torrent with only a few seeds is most likely to never finish downloading. If it does complete, it can sometimes take days, or even weeks.
    I dunno, I think +30 is a wee bit warm, maybe more the mid-high twenties or so. Warm enough to be really nice, so that you can enjoy a good cool breeze, but not hot enough that it makes it unpleasant to perform any physical activities, or makes you lethargic.
    I can fap to that.
  • 30 is just fine. Warmer is even better.