This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Software Essentials

Comments

• 30 is just fine. Warmer is even better.
    You are mad. Crazy person I say. It's nice to have +30 for a day or two in summer, just so that winter could be appreciated better when it comes.

• edited May 2012
    30 is just fine. Warmer is even better.
    You are mad. Crazy person I say. It's nice to have +30 for a day or two in summer, just so that winter could be appreciated better when it comes.
    You can tell the guy either doesn't come from a place that has the majority of the summer days being +30, or simply spends a lot of time inside when it is. I do fine in the heat, but I don't think it's the ideal temperature. But I guess that's personal.

OR MAYBE, since he's American, he's thinking in Fahrenheit, and he actually really likes the cold.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I think around 30's fine in both, but I'd prefer mid-high 20s.
  • Did none of you learn the importance of including your units of measurement in math class?
  • Did none of you learn the importance of including your units of measurement in math class?
    A negligible number of countries in the world do not use Celsius as standard scale, and most of those aren't worth a damn.
  • The Celsius temperature scale is too compressed for weather use, it's the one (measuring) area where the USA is better off.
  • We should just use Kelvin for everything.
  • edited May 2012
    The Celsius temperature scale is too compressed for weather use, it's the one (measuring) area where the USA is better off.
    What? That doesn't make any sense. Do you mean that Celsius has a larger interval? Well, yeah, it does, but that doesn't make it less useful than Fahrenheit for general weather use(I mean, to the best of my knowledge, most areas of science use C where applicable/sensible, rather than F, including meteorology), if there is little to no appreciable difference between, say, 25 and 26 degrees C, how is it useful to have MORE degrees to measure ambient temperature? Especially when if you need that extra half-a-degree of precision, instead of just rounding up/down, you can say twenty-five point five degrees?

I mean, I can see where you might be coming from, because you're more used to hearing "It's a nice, hot, 86 degree day" rather than "It's a nice, hot, 30 degree day", but that's just a matter of what you're used to, not which is more useful.

Post edited by Churba on
  • The Celsius temperature scale is too compressed for weather use, it's the one (measuring) area where the USA is better off.
    There's this crazy metric witchcraft, it's called "decimal places." You should check it out. Changed my life, your life, pretty much everyone's lives, really.
    Stupidity demonstrated with such skill, even Apreche could learn something. I applaud your performance, very convincing, good job.
  • You will be surprised how slow the Internet is here. A torrent with only a few seeds is most likely to never finish downloading. If it does complete, it can sometimes take days, or even weeks.
    Three hours and eleven minutes later, I now have available to me, a copy of a Finnish movie called Tuntematon sotilas, with English subtitles.

Tell me, what kind of magickal internet does the US have, that you can watch 720p Youtube videos with no buffering interruptions while not being able to average a simple 170kB/s for a torrent file that has dedicated seeders.
  • edited May 2012
    Guess what else is on ThePirateBay with no less than five times as many seeds with subtitles in flavors like Scandiwegian and Romance languages...Oh, and English.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Clearly the real issue is that some people are bad at torrenting.
  • edited May 2012
    Clearly the real issue is that some people are bad at torrenting.
    This is why TV isn't dead yet.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Man Without a Past might actually succeed at downloading in some number of hours. It fluctuates between 4 hours and 6 days.

Tuntematon sotilas probably isn't going to work.
    There's this crazy metric witchcraft, it's called "decimal places." You should check it out. Changed my life, your life, pretty much everyone's lives, really.
    Bullshit. Now you need three digits to express reasonable temperature differences at all useful levels, yet the third digit is only significant in increments of .5.

Meanwhile, we use two digits for most temeratures, and one degree is about the minimum difference a human will be able to articulably notice.

• Man Without a Past might actually succeed at downloading in some number of hours. It fluctuates between 4 hours and 6 days.

Considering that nine torrented it in...lemmie check the skype conversation...he was at 47 percent at 9:18 AM my local, so an hour and twenty-three minutes in. According to that rough guide, he should have finished an hour or two ago.

Don't know if he used the same torrent apsup provided, but he most likely did. You'd have to ask him to be sure, though.
    Bullshit. Now you need three digits to express reasonable temperature differences at all useful levels, yet the third digit is only significant in increments of .5.

Meanwhile, we use two digits for most temeratures, and one degree is about the minimum difference a human will be able to articulably notice.
    My turn to call bullshit. You're wavering dangerously close to a Scott argument, Rym, so thus I can only deduce that you're trolling.

That aside, I don't think you could tell a difference of one degree Celsius in the ambient temperature, let alone One degree F, which is roughly half of a Celsius degree. which is effectively what you're using anyway, considering the rough difference in interval, which if I remember right is 5/9ths of a degree C for every degree F, but I might be wrong on the exact number.

If you're going to argue "This is more useful in expressing the temperature difference we can feel", then that's nonsense, because even if you could tell a half-degree difference in ambient(doubtful, but I suppose possible, maybe) you still run up against the question of exactly who talks like that, rather than simply using whole numbers? Even using Celsius here, I've never heard anyone go to the decimal unless they're looking at an (presumably) accurate digital thermometer. If you're talking about expressing the temperature you feel, then you're going to either quote a rough figure ("Aw, it's about 30/80 degrees today, might go down the park") or you're going to use a colloquialism, like "Wahm today" etc.

If you need that much precision, it doesn't matter what scale you use, since the thermodynamic temperature is the same no matter which system of notation you use, and it doesn't matter so much if you can convert from one standard to the other. Though you probably should use Celsius or Kelvin, being the accepted standards.
  • edited May 2012
    Two digits of Celsius is enough for everyday use with ambient temperatures.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Do you say that because it's true, or because that's what you're used to?

Considering that nine torrented it in...lemmie check the skype conversation...he was at 47 percent at 9:18 AM my local, so an hour and twenty-three minutes in. According to that rough guide, he should have finished an hour or two ago.

Don't know if he used the same torrent apsup provided, but he most likely did. You'd have to ask him to be sure, though.

My turn to call bullshit. You're wavering dangerously close to a Scott argument, Rym, so thus I can only deduce that you're trolling.

That aside, I don't think you could tell a difference of one degree Celsius in the ambient temperature, let alone One degree F, which is roughly half of a Celsius degree. which is effectively what you're using anyway, considering the rough difference in interval, which if I remember right is 5/9ths of a degree C for every degree F, but I might be wrong on the exact number.

Anyone that has shared a home/area with one thermostat would know that people can definitely tell the difference in temperature of 1F increments.
  • edited May 2012
    Do you say that because it's true, or because that's what you're used to?
    Both.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2012
    Anyone that has shared a home/area with one thermostat would know that people can definitely tell the difference in temperature of 1F increments.
    Yeah, No. I'm afraid that doesn't prove anything whatsoever, and really raises more questions than it answers, even if it wasn't absolutely anecdotal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2012
    Also, why do you even want our shitty entertainment media? Every other country has better stuff than we do. Grass is greener?
    Scott, if I remember correctly, you are watching through imdb top 250, right? Now tell me how many of those films are Finnish and how many of those are American.

There are reasons why I want your "shitty entertainment media", and that is just one of the reasons.

I want to watch your movies, put subtitles on them!
    The package of comics I sent you years ago also contained four extremely good finnish movies with subtitles. You should at least watch "Gourmet Club" because it is short and hilarious.
    Finnish movies? How about Tuntematon sotilas, which is very difficult to get with English subtitles. The Man Without a Past is possible, but expensive,
    Man without a past is one of those movies I sent you. The two other ones complete the trilogy.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited May 2012
    How did we miss them in there? Now I have to go looking.

EDIT: Found, but what's with all the VOB files. Sure, they are playable, but such a pain!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2012
    How did we miss them in there? Now I have to go looking.

EDIT: Found, but what's with all the VOB files. Sure, they are playable, but such a pain!
    We often have international guests we show movies to. So instead of encoding several different versions with different audio / subtitle tracks I just keep the whole disks. Any decent software DVD player recognizes the main directory as a disk media. I should have just made copies of the DVD's but didn't.

Aside: has anyone lately tried to encode DVD's to mkv's with multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitles? Last time I tried it it was a pain in the butt to even find software that did this and the results were sub par at best (when VLC has trouble playing your files something is messed the eff up).

• edited May 2012
    Having used both Fahrenheit and Celsius in my day-to-day life for ambient temperature measurement, it is my personal belief that Celsius is no more difficult that using Fahrenheit, nor is it any less useful. You only stand to gain from standardizing all temperature measurements to the the most common temperature measurement.

Also, Rym: if you are seriously, seriously telling me that it's too much effort to consider a third digit when dealing with temperatures, you need to take a fucking seat. If I'm honest, they don't even use decimals for temperature during weather reports here, and people get along absolutely fine. Nor have I even once seen someone work a thermostat and be like "Man, we need more units here!" Temperature sensation is really only accurate in terms of whole degrees C, so it's a non-issue in terms of comfort and environmental control.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • How did we miss them in there? Now I have to go looking.

We often have international guests we show movies to. So instead of encoding several different versions with different audio / subtitle tracks I just keep the whole disks. Any decent software DVD player recognizes the main directory as a disk media. I should have just made copies of the DVD's but didn't.

Aside: has anyone lately tried to encode DVD's to mkv's with multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitles? Last time I tried it it was a pain in the butt to even find software that did this and the results were sub par at best (when VLC has trouble playing your files something is messed the eff up).

I use Handbrake, and I never have any problems ripping a DVD and encoding it any way I want. I use Slysoft AnyDVD to remove any encryption.
  • edited May 2012
    I use Handbrake, and I never have any problems ripping a DVD and encoding it any way I want. I use Slysoft AnyDVD to remove any encryption.
    Yup, same here (well I use RipIt for ripping and decryption), but I suggest you try producing a well working mkv with multiple audio and multiple subtitle tracks. Handbrake is able to do it but the resulting mkv file is crap; subtitles don't work syncing is off etc.

• I use Handbrake, and I never have any problems ripping a DVD and encoding it any way I want. I use Slysoft AnyDVD to remove any encryption.
    Yup, same here (well I use RipIt for ripping and decryption), but I suggest you try producing a well working mkv with multiple audio and multiple subtitle tracks. Handbrake is able to do it but the resulting mkv file is crap; subtitles don't work syncing is off etc.

I don't make mkv, I usually just make mp4 using the default 1080p or iPhone settings, depending.