This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Software Essentials

Comments

• has anyone lately tried to encode DVD's to mkv's with multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitles? Last time I tried it it was a pain in the butt to even find software that did this and the results were sub par at best
    MKVtoolNix does this no problem. Given that the video and audio tracks have already been encoded elsewhere. VP8 and x264 together with Mplayer does this fine. There are also nice GUI applications that do everything at once with a single click. Usually built into video editors.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't make mkv, I usually just make mp4 using the default 1080p or iPhone settings, depending.
    Question: How do I go around a loop de loop on a unicycle?
    Scott: I have no problem riding my bike to work.

@Aria: The problem is "Given that the video and audio tracks have already been encoded elsewhere", this comsumes time and adds complexity. I did try MKVtoolsNix and it was a pain in the butt to set up correctly. Maybe some improvements have happened in the meantime.

What kind of video editors are you referring to?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I don't make mkv, I usually just make mp4 using the default 1080p or iPhone settings, depending.
    Question: How do I go around a loop de loop on a unicycle?
    Scott: I have no problem riding my bike to work.
    Why does it need to be mkv?
  • Does MP4 do multiple tracks, enough metadata, resuming and not cause any bugs with any particular type of content, like say, ass subs, or flac audio? I'm asking because I don't know, not to be a wise-ass. May be because of more support among players. But most common things should do MP4 fine. Um... does anyone ever use multiple angles, or animated on-screen popups? Does MP4 do those? I don't even think MKV does =P
  • RymRym
    edited May 2012
    Having used both Fahrenheit and Celsius in my day-to-day life for ambient temperature measurement, it is my personal belief that Celsius is no more difficult that using Fahrenheit, nor is it any less useful. You only stand to gain from standardizing all temperature measurements to the the most common temperature measurement.

Also, Rym: if you are seriously, seriously telling me that it's too much effort to consider a third digit when dealing with temperatures, you need to take a fucking seat. If I'm honest, they don't even use decimals for temperature during weather reports here, and people get along absolutely fine. Nor have I even once seen someone work a thermostat and be like "Man, we need more units here!" Temperature sensation is really only accurate in terms of whole degrees C, so it's a non-issue in terms of comfort and environmental control.
    Ahh, but the true power of our proper temperature scale is at the 10^1 position. Ten Fahrenheit degrees provides a useful "class" of temperatures in terms of humans.

In America, people will either say something like "in the 60s or 70s", or they'll say something to the effect of "it's like 98 degress out there!" They're classed by tens in terms of the general feeling and acceptable activities/expected clothing.

10s - Dangerously cold, full winter gear required
    20s - Unpleasantly cold, partial winter gear required
    30s - Cold, winter coat required
    40s - Chilly, coat only required for extended outings
    50s - Cool, light jacket recommended
    60s - No jacket required, short sleeves common
    70s - Pleasant
    80s - Summery, shorts common
    90s - Hot
    100s - Dangerously hot

What is worn shifts depending on the climate of the area, obviously, as well as the disposition of the individual. But the ten-degree "class" separations of garb and activities are pretty universal in a general sense.

If it's in the 50s, I wear a light jacket biking. If it's in the 60s, I do not. If it's hovering around 58, the jacket is unzipped, but if it's only 61, I have no jacket at all.

If it's in the 40s, I won't wear a coat to the train station (it's a short walk), but I'll definitely wear one if it's in the 30s.

It's a nice scale because the two significant digits are individually significant to most Americans for different purposes. Then "tens" place signifies the class and recommended garb, the "ones" place defines the degree within that "class." All without requiring a third digit.

Thermostats here are in individual Fahrenheit degrees. I've often been slightly uncomfortable and, to rectify this, altered the room temperature by a single degree.

We have two always-useful digits. You have a mostly superfluous digit, a useful digit, and then a too-granular digit. I often see Celsius degrees indicated like "22.5", always in half-increments.

Fahrenheit superior. Celsius inferior.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2012
    mp4 supports multiple audio tracks but I'm not sure about the subtitles... ops, apparently it does. Last time I tried Handbreak that didn't work yet.

I'll do some testing tonight.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I live in Norway. Never ever in my life heard or seen a .5 C degree. ^ is my first time hearing of the concept. 1 degree C isn't much.
  • Fahrenheit superior. Celsius inferior.
    Well, if all you are going to talk about is the weather, by all means. Over here in the developed world we do use temperature for other things such as cooking, saunas, and science. Far be it though from the American public to have a bit of the scientific mindset imposed upon their daily routines. I would doubt climate change myself if I had to convert all the metric results into sqare yards per bushel stones!

• Meh, we should just use Kelvin and be done with it. :)

That said, I do prefer Fahrenheit for weather use, but only because it's what I'm used to. I'm also okay with Fahrenheit for cooking because what's what most recipes, stoves, etc., are calibrated to here in the states. Otherwise, it's a wash between the two and I have a slight preference for Celsius because of its use in sciences (okay, technically it's Kelvin in sciences, but that's essentially just Celsius with 0 set to absolute zero instead of the freezing point of water).

FWIW, even in the US, Celsius is used for aviation weather forecasts.

As far as the whole "increments of 10" thing that Rym pointed out for Fahrenheit, it's also there for Celsius, but just shifted down somewhat:
    • -20 C, really freaking cold
    • -10 C, pretty damned cold
    • 0 C, cold but not crazy cold
    • 10 C, chilly
    • 20 C, pleasant
    • 30 C, pretty hot
    • 40 C, insanely hot
    Oh, and for a fun time, try using the Rankine scale for temperature. Rankine is to Fahrenheit as Kelvin is to Celsius. I had to do calculations with it for my college thermodynamics course back in the day.
  • AOL Instant Messenger
    Norton Anti Virus
    Netscape Navigator
  • AOL Instant Messenger
    Norton Anti Virus
    Netscape Navigator
    WinZip
    Nero Burning ROM
    Real Player

http://www.oldversion.com/
  • It is interesting that no complex or scientific calculations use imperial units. I'd wager 95% of Americans have no idea what the imperial unit for mass is. (It's a slug). Imperial is only used for day-to-day stuff (weather, travel, gas prices, etc...).

Thus, science-minded individuals are fluent in the metric system, but only for science. Outside of sciencing, most people here think in imperial units. But, know that they only use a tiny subset of that system.

For distance, it's inches, feet, and miles. Outside of sports and construction, most people don't actually use "yards" as a unit for anything. Most other units aren't used.

For area in a personal sense, it's acres or square feet. Square miles are used in an abstract sense (e.g., for population density or statistical things).

For volume, it's pretty-much only gallons and ounces. Most people know what a pint ro quart is, but never use those units in conversation or for any practical purpose. If you change your oil, you may also think in quarts. But, most people use gallons or ounces for everything.

Outside of distance, area, volume, and temperature, pretty-much none of the other units are used for any purpose. Most people don't even need those types of units, and if they do, they tend to use metric units for these purposes.
  • AOL Instant Messenger
    Norton Anti Virus
    Netscape Navigator
    WinZip
    Nero Burning ROM
    Real Player

http://www.oldversion.com/
    WinMX
    The Windows 3.1.1 update (for networking)
    Mosaic

• edited May 2012
    Considering that nine torrented it in...lemmie check the skype conversation...he was at 47 percent at 9:18 AM my local, so an hour and twenty-three minutes in. According to that rough guide, he should have finished an hour or two ago.

Don't know if he used the same torrent apsup provided, but he most likely did. You'd have to ask him to be sure, though.
    Why would I bother to try and find something else when already a perfectly fine torrent was provided by our good Apsup? The torrent is perfectly fine, you can get it in 3 hours averaging less than 200kB/s due to there being dedicated seeds.

ADDITION: As I was reading the forums and writing this post, the other film linked completed downloading in a pretty 18 minutes and some seconds. Though I won't expect Apreche to average 1.2MB/s for that to happen. A dedicated seedbox maxing out your download is always an enjoyable sight to see.
    Aside: has anyone lately tried to encode DVD's to mkv's with multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitles? Last time I tried it it was a pain in the butt to even find software that did this and the results were sub par at best.
    MKV is a container. You cannot encode a DVD to one. You'll have to encode the video with a video codec (AVC is a good example), the audio tracks individually with an audio codec (MP3 or AAC is what's done usually), and the same for the subtitle tracks, one file for each. Then just pack them together into an mkv with the mkv files creator (edit: that's MKVtoolNix as mentioned by Aria), which is dead simple to use.
    (when VLC has trouble playing your files something is messed the eff up).
    Yes, that something is VLC and a shitty method of making the mkv.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited May 2012
    AVC is a good example
    Post edited by Aria on
  • I think it's time to do a show on how mkv, avi, etc... work, as well as the underlying codecs. We talked about it before, but not in depth.
  • [Triple-A bullshit]
    We have two always-useful digits. You have a mostly superfluous digit, a useful digit, and then a too-granular digit. I often see Celsius degrees indicated like "22.5", always in half-increments.

Wow, well constructed bullshit. Especially the last two paragraphs. People do not use half degrees. The only reasonable explanation for why you supposedly see these half-degrees, 'often', is because you never see Celsius in normal, everyday use.
  • I think it's time to do a show on how mkv, avi, etc... work, as well as the underlying codecs. We talked about it before, but not in depth.
    Make sure to gag Apreche for the entire show, unless you guys are going to actually do a tiny bit of research before doing said show.
    AVC is a good example
    What's wrong with that? Other than your correction forgetting to modify 'a' to 'an' and you not using the del tag.
  • edited May 2012
    Thermostats here are in individual Fahrenheit degrees. I've often been slightly uncomfortable and, to rectify this, altered the room temperature by a single degree.

Wow, well constructed bullshit. Especially the last two paragraphs. People do not use half degrees. The only reasonable explanation for why you supposedly see these half-degrees, 'often', is because you never see Celsius in normal, everyday use.
    I even said that I've never seen a decimal used for temp here. Guess I just got completely ignored; thanks, Rym.

Also, yeah, the tens of F might seem useful, but here, when you ask for the temperature, someone says, "It's 22 outside," and you immediately know precisely how to dress. Way more useful that dealing with a vagary of ten degrees. I often see Celsius degrees indicated like "22.5", always in half-increments. Furthermore, you state that you can sense a 1F difference in temperature; I'd wager that's mostly placebo, since your body itself (if I remember correctly--I'd need to dig up some notes on the matter) cannot sense differences in temperature below an entire degree Celsius, and before you bring up the question of rounding up or down, the sensors are gated channels; they only slam shut or open when the precise condition is met.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Guess I just got completely ignored; thanks, Rym.
    Don't worry WUB, that is Scrym's hallmark method of discussion.
    Next, they should make a podcast about Fahrenheit vs. Celsius and decry me as wrong without any forum of equal public exposure upon which I can defend my case. ~_^

MEANWHILE...

• When you get down to it, both the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales are pretty much arbitrary. Celsius was based on the freezing and boiling points of water being its endpoints from 0 to 100, whereas Fahrenheit was based on, well, three random-ish points (freezing temperature of brine, freezing temperature of water, and human body temperature) that seemed pretty arbitrary and that were redefined later. It was also designed to have lots of gradiations between these reference points (multiplying the temperatures of these reference points on older scales by 4 to get them), and then massaging the numbers such that there would be exactly 64 degrees between the freezing point of water and human body temperature so that he can mark the intervals on his scale by simply cutting them in half repeatedly due to being a power of 2.

Celsius was developed with a lot more scientific rigor than Fahrenheit (including careful measurements of atmospheric pressure during its initial calibration), hence why people with a scientific bent would naturally prefer it, even if it wasn't an SI unit. However, both are equally good at measuring temperature, even though one may debate which is better at expressing temperature.
    Next, they should make a podcast about Fahrenheit vs. Celsius and decry me as wrong without any forum of equal public exposure upon which I can defend my case. ~_^

MEANWHILE...

Welcome to four pages ago. Also, they've said before that these forums are not a democracy.
  • Welcome to four pages ago. Also, they've said before that these forums are not a democracy.
    I'm well-aware.

• edited May 2012
    Having done fairly extensive research into archaic units of measure and their evolution, I can tell you that the metric system really really needed to exist. Mesurement standardization was virtually non-existent before that. And various royal proclamations kept changing the meaning of the terms, making historical data analysis an incredibly difficult affair.

I mean, seriously, there were 6 different "gallons" in use in the 1600's in London. They were all called the "gallon," and the same type of gallon could vary in actual size depending on the authority within London who kept it. Outside of London? All the gallon were different sizes than the London measures.

"Intuitive" my ass.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The Queen's Imperial Gallon is the only Gallon I care to know about, squire.
  • The Queen's Imperial Gallon is the only Gallon I care to know about, squire.
    That would have been more robust standardization than actually existed.

• Having done fairly extensive research into archaic units of measure and their evolution, I can tell you that the metric system really really needed to exist...

"Intuitive" my ass.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. Imperial units are by and large stupid, and the metric system is wonderful. But for Americans, who are largely very internally-facing due to the sheer size of the local economy, there is no reason in the world to stop using the very practical subset of imperial units that they use.

• FWIW, the metric system/SI is basically the only system that matters anyway since all the other measurements systems are defined in terms of the metric system. The yard is exactly defined by law to be 0.9144 meters with all the smaller units (feet, inches, etc.) thusly defined as fractions of a yard. Similarly, the pound is defined as being exactly 453.59237 grams.

Being born and raised in the US, I naturally tend to prefer to think in terms of US customary units for most things such as distance, temperature, and weight. I also like the gallon a a unit of fluid volume, though I'm ambivalent about smaller units like pints and quarts -- and since a quart is only a smidge smaller than a liter, I'm just as comfortable with liters. However, I really do prefer metric for everything else and I wish more recipes used metric units. I can't remember how to convert from teaspoons to tablespoons and the like for the life of me!
  • Oh, don't get me wrong. Imperial units are by and large stupid, and the metric system is wonderful. But for Americans, who are largely very internally-facing due to the sheer size of the local economy, there is no reason in the world to stop using the very practical subset of imperial units that they use.
    And it would do about 0.nothing harm to put sense next to their current 'units'.