This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Software Essentials

12346»

Comments

• The bushel is the dumbest idea in the history of ideas, and we still use it. Yes, let's measure dry goods volumetrically. Brilliant! It's probably the reason we still measure servings of vegetables by the cup, despite the sheer idiocy in doing so.

It's really not a practical system of measurement. It's ill-controlled, and is a partial cause of varying commodity prices. I can measure the same volume of barley 10 times from the same batch of grain, and get about a 20% spread in the actual mass of each measure. It's just dumb, and we're dumb for using it.
  • I measure things but how many/much I can fit in my mouth/pockets.
  • I think this is the fastest growing and most derailed thread in the history of FRCF. We started with "Hey what software should I install on my new computer" and now we're on "Metric units are way better than imperial units!"
  • edited May 2012
    I can't remember how to convert from teaspoons to tablespoons and the like for the life of me!
    It's 3. 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. Imperial units are by and large stupid, and the metric system is wonderful. But for Americans, who are largely very internally-facing due to the sheer size of the local economy, there is no reason in the world to stop using the very practical subset of imperial units that they use.
    And it would do about 0.nothing harm to put sense next to their current 'units'.
    Largely, we do. Everything that's packaged in the US has both imperial and metric units. This Mallo Cup in front of me, for example, has "net weight .5 oz (14 g)" printed on it. Most highway signs are done in both Imperial and Metric. Pretty much anything food-wise sold by weight or volume gives the imperial units, then the metric units next to it in parens. Cars are, as far as I can tell, largely metric in terms of tools. It's pretty much just casual conversation and the weather in the US that involves solely imperial.

EDIT: for clarification, here's a couple of pictures of a typical American food package (a box of off-brand Pop-Tarts I happen to have next to my computer). Notice the Metric next to the Real Units:

Post edited by Neito on
  • Your argument is invalid because those are not strawberry.
  • I can't remember how to convert from teaspoons to tablespoons and the like for the life of me!
    It's 3. 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon.
    Well, yeah, but I do that conversion so infrequently typically that I never remember it. Granted, it's easy enough to use Google or a unit conversion app on my phone or something, but I just prefer things to be in nice, easy, consistent powers of 10. :)
    Plus, things just get more complicated when you're converting from teaspoons to cups or whatnot. It's just not logical.
    Cherry. 4. lyfe.
  • edited May 2012
    Most highway signs are done in both Imperial and Metric.
    That may be true where you live, but I've never seen a sign with metric units in the South (take that as you will).

Also:
    Your argument is invalid because those are not strawberry.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Longitude and Latitude are no-longer sufficient. I need to know exact spatial coordinates relative to the center of our galaxy at the minimum.
  • Most highway signs are done in both Imperial and Metric.
    That may be true where you live, but I've never seen a sign with metric units in the South (take that as you will).
    Not even where he lives. I basically live down the road from him and I rarely see the dual unit signs (some exist, but they are few and far between typically). You have to basically go up to the states that border Canada to start seeing them.
  • Longitude and Latitude are no-longer sufficient. I need to know exact spatial coordinates relative to the center of our galaxy at the minimum.
    That exists if you really need it, but it's centered on the sun. I believe it said choice of origin has to do with the density of the galactic core (and the subsequent inability to investigate it in detail), the fact that our native system is the only one we know to be inhabited, and general ease of use.
  • edited May 2012
    That exists if you really need it, but it's centered on the sun. I believe it said choice of origin has to do with the density of the galactic core (and the subsequent inability to investigate it in detail), the fact that our native system is the only one we know to be inhabited, and general ease of use.
    That talk page is epic.

Edit:Idea, every 30,000 years or so, we need to drop a space buoy so that it's not moving relative to the rest of the known galaxies somewhere outside the galactic rim. After a while, that will form a relatively interesting space coordinate system "Our galaxy was here." Problem: Space monsters following the trail of crumbs.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • That exists if you really need it, but it's centered on the sun. I believe it said choice of origin has to do with the density of the galactic core (and the subsequent inability to investigate it in detail), the fact that our native system is the only one we know to be inhabited, and general ease of use.
    That talk page is epic.
    Oh wow, that might be the nerdiest thing I've ever read, ever.
  • Actually... we should take advantage of the galactic rotation and start laying a godamn minefield in our wake.
  • Actually... we should take advantage of the galactic rotation and start laying a godamn minefield in our wake.
    It takes 250 million years to do a core orbit. Pretty sure the sufficiently-advanced aliens would arrive and dissociate us into mesons long before our minefield could get big enough or advanced enough to hold them off.

Also, three dimensional space--the galaxy only rotates on one axis; invaders could approach from above.

• It takes 250 million years to do a core orbit. Pretty sure the sufficiently-advanced aliens would arrive and dissociate us into mesons long before our minefield could get big enough or advanced enough to hold them off.

Also, three dimensional space--the galaxy only rotates on one axis; invaders could approach from above.

Invasion is another problem entirely. My first concern is space monsters. My second concern is how to shape the galaxy into a gigantic trollface when another galaxy collides with the minefield.
  • Space Whales just want an ocean to swim in...T_T
  • MKV is a container. You cannot encode a DVD to one.
    Thank you for enlightening me. Also for detailing the steps needed to make an mkv with several audio/subtitle tracks. I like you so much more than Scott, you're actually being helpfull.

• edited May 2012
    Your argument is invalid because those are not strawberry.
    Cherry. 4. lyfe.
    Cherry is perfectly fine and delicious in it's own way. The frosted part is the problem.
    Edit: Idea, every 30,000 years or so, we need to drop a space buoy so that it's not moving relative to the rest of the known galaxies somewhere outside the galactic rim. After a while, that will form a relatively interesting space coordinate system "Our galaxy was here." Problem: Space monsters following the trail of crumbs.
    DELICIOUS BUOY. Should also bring space hunters space hunting those space monsters with space harpoons in space boats.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I remember a rumor around the grocery store I worked while in college that first snow, everyone buys all the pop-tarts and bottled water. Rumor was actually proven true. They also buy everything else. Ever. People around here, despite it snowing every year, freak the fuck out at the first sign of it.
  • I remember a rumor around the grocery store I worked while in college that first snow, everyone buys all the pop-tarts and bottled water. Rumor was actually proven true. They also buy everything else. Ever. People around here, despite it snowing every year, freak the fuck out at the first sign of it.
    WTF. I'm from a desert country, and though I freak out at the first signs of snow, it's more the running around happily and half naked with a bottle of rum, rather than the whole buy all the pop tarts kinda freaking out.
  • I don't understand it myself. Growing up in St. Louis, it was totally fine. I'm in the same relative climate. There is an economic disparity, and people here refuse to pay taxes for anything (even road care and snow plows), so maybe those are relevant factors.
  • BUY ALL THE POP TARTS!
  • BonziBuddy
    Napster
  • edited May 2012
    BonziBuddy
    Napster
    You can't even get the legit Napster anymore. Best Buy sold it to Rhapsody and they killed it.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Posting here, because looking for an appropriate thread or creating one is a hassle. Also the thread has derailed enough so I'm using that as an excuse.

I just listened to this article from NPR this morning: Bill Would Have Businesses Foot Cost Of Cyberwar.

A few questions came mind, should the government or businesses be responsible for paying for cybersecurity? Also how much does it cost? I honestly have no idea how much money it costs and wouldn't mind getting a logical answer from someone.