This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Apartment Hunting

So it turns out I'm going to be living in NYC over the summer. This means that I need a (relatively cheap) room for the summer, and I could use it soon as I'm going to be couchsurfing from about next Friday onward.

While the forum has threads about people's rooms and homes, I don't think there's one about looking for homes. Well, now there is. So now, go throw apartment-hunting advice at me (and if you know anybody who needs a subletter, please let me know).
Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on

Comments

• Cheap rooms? NYC? Not crappy? Ahahahahah.

Actually, there might be a room in my apartment opening up June 1st, if you're interested. It's a large (~5000 sq. ft.) loft in Bushwick (not the crappy part), near the Montrose L stop. If you like hardware hacking, I want to start some stuff in the apartment. We also have a punching bag and a piano.

Otherwise, I recommend Craigslist's Rooms & Shares and Sublets & Temporary boards.
  • edited May 2012
    Awesome, thanks.
    If it's big, I probably can't afford it.
    If it's crappy, I don't really care.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • If it's crappy, I don't really care.
    Is that a "Crappy is fine too" or a "Leave that for the peasant folk~"
  • It's not too expensive, especially for the amount of space. Want to get on gtalk and chat about it?
  • Come August, I'll be leaving my Hell's Kitchen storage closet and be migrating to Brooklyn. My friends are already subletting a place in Clinton Hill, and are hoping to stay in that area (they're even asking their current building).

For searching, Padmapper appears to be an incredibly useful tool.
  • Got a room in Washington Heights via a friend for $650 a month. Moving in tomorrowtoday, which is good because I'm leaving NYC for Rochester tonight and was worried I'd have to store stuff with a friend.