This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Big Brothers Big Sisters (Mentoring)

edited May 2012 in Everything Else
Joining a mentoring program has been high on my priority list for a couple of years now, but I've been in so much transition regarding location and schooling that I haven't had the time or been in a good position to do it.

I'm thinking about getting started with BBBS when I finish settling into the place in Albany. Anybody have any experience with this program, either form the Big or Little side? I'd love to hear your personal experiences and thoughts with the program.

Alternatively, has anybody else thought about getting involved as a mentor? It would be neat to have a couple of the crew to talk to about experiences.
Post edited by Nuri on

Comments

• edited May 2012
    There's one just a few blocks away from me. I've wanted to go down there and find some nerdy kids and teach them the ways of the computer, but literally every single time I walk past it, it is closed. Now it looks like there is some construction going on in the outdoor playground area.

Also, it's not like I have enough free time for that sort of thing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Dude, it only takes a couple hours a month. You just go do stuff with them occasionally. Teach them to play board games of awesome! Go on a hike through central park. Go see the zoo.

Plus, you can sign up online, and they'll contact you for an interview. There's no need to go into a brick'n'mortar to sign up.
  • A couple hours a month? What kind of mentoring is that? I think if you were someone's mentor you would see them more often than that!
  • edited May 2012
    That's more like a minimum. You can participate at your own level of involvement. The idea is to foster a 1-on-1 relationship with the kid. For some kids, once a month is a lot if individual attention.

I would probably go for once a week or every 2 weeks, personally.
    Post edited by Nuri on