This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

edited May 2012 in Movies
Do you think Coulson is dead? Fury lied to everyone through the entire film, including about the deck of Cap cards. We see him go unconscious at least; then it's Fury who says he's dead.

Now Clark Gregg is in talks to be in Iron Man 3. It could be flashbacks or an android or a hologram or a shapeshifter or a hundred other things, but....
Post edited by Jason on

Comments

• He's dead Jim.
  • If the tesseract is the source of unlimited energy, why did Loki need the Stark Tower arc reactor?
  • They said it needed something to get it kickstarted.
  • edited May 2012
    If the tesseract is the source of unlimited energy, why did Loki need the Stark Tower arc reactor?
    Activation energy, sort of like in chemistry you need something else to start a thermite reaction going.

Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • It's amazing that I liked this movie at all, since I've come to the conclusion I don't like most of the characters in The Avengers. It's probably different for people who were into the comics but:

Black Widow, dude with arrows (Forgot his name) = meh.
    Thor and Captain America = These characters feel so outdated.
    Fury = A freaking walking cliche

The only characters I liked:
    The Hulk (Banner was ok)
    Tony Stark (Had the best lines, besides Hulk)
    Loki (Although not as good as in Thor movie)

Um, hmm, I guess that's it.

Would they have been better off using some different/newer characters? I'm not familiar with the Marvel universe so I really have no idea, just wondering what people's thoughts were.

• No, because those are the characters who comprise the Avengers.

How do Thor and Captain America feel "outdated?" To be fair, they are both supposed to be "out of place," so to speak.

And as for Nick Fury the cliche - well, it's a comic book character. They're all cliches.
  • There are a lot of high-profile Avengers members over the years that they can mix in for sequels: Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Wasp, Ant-Man/Giant Man, The Vision....

Considering what was at stake, and that he'd already been introduced to the Marvel CInematic Universe, why didn't Tony call Rhodey in with War Machine to help at the end?
  • Who was red face at the very end?
  • Marvel was trying to keep the number of characters from each of the individual movies as limited as possible. That's why we only got Stellan Skarsgard (for plot related purposes) and Pepper (because you can't really have Tony without Pepper, and it also allowed us to bond with Coulson a little more before he got Whedon-ed.
    Do you think Coulson is dead? Fury lied to everyone through the entire film, including about the deck of Cap cards. We see him go unconscious at least; then it's Fury who says he's dead.

Now Clark Gregg is in talks to be in Iron Man 3. It could be flashbacks or an android or a hologram or a shapeshifter or a hundred other things, but....
    I would like to think that he isn't dead, because I hate that characters in comic books can't stay dead, but at the same time I loved his character.

There are rumours circulating around the inter-tubes saying that he might be brought back as a non-Ultron relatated Vision. I would actually kind of be okay with that.

• Finished watching The Avengers for the second time. Now at a Mediterranean place getting some shawarma.
  • I need to go see Avengers a second time, it was so overwhelming the first time.
  • edited May 2012
    Via Ro on G+: Shawarma sales skyrocket.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/lol-the-avengers-leads-increased-sales-shawarma/

Related:
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Coulson is dead, but -- like in the comic books -- Nick Fury has a clone of him in his secret bunker of clones of everyone in the Marvel universe.

/sarcasm
  • Finished watching The Avengers for the second time. Now at a Mediterranean place getting some shawarma.
    I did the same thing. Good to know I'm not the only one.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos
    Introducing thanos basically means introducing the public to the greater universe of the Eternals, Deviants, and maybe even groups like the Beyonders though. Its probably going to take a few more character set up films before they even bring thanos in with any capacity.

They have yet to even discuss the tesseract as a Cosmic Cube, so perhaps that could be he general direction they take now, while introducing the public slowly to a whole host of ohterworldly characters.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm expecting Iron Man 3 to delve a little bit into that, but also just get Tony's suit better, bring War Machine into the fold, and have Bruce Banner cameos to keep him in the public eye. Thor 2 will likely delve into more of the outer-dimensional characters as Thor and Loki have dealings. I suspect Loki will either be turned or die in Thor 2, but that's just my prediction. Captain America 2 will probably explain more about the Tesseract and bring in Winter Soldier (whose identity reveal will be spoiled for ALL comic-book nerds). Avengers 2 will culminate all of this with an expanding team and more outer-dimensional chaos.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Don't forget that Edgar Wright is working on Ant-Man!!
  • Don't forget that Edgar Wright is working on Ant-Man!!
    For real!?
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, it keeps getting pushed back because it's not one of the "big" properties, but it's fully confirmed it's happening and now that The Avengers is out I'm willing to bet we'll get some new info at Comic-Con this year.

[Edit] IMDB is saying 2014 and it's written by the guy who wrote Attack the Block. Of course, we're going to be getting a new Wright/Pegg/Frost movie in the not-too-distant future as well.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That's cool. If Ant-Man comes before 2015, we could see it in the Avengers.
  • edited May 2012
    I think 2015 is a little optimistic for Avengers 2, especially considering how many movies need to be released before it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If I remember correctly Nathan Fillion is supposed to play Ant-Man.
  • edited May 2012
    I'd heard Alan Tudyk rumors.
    Also one that Benedict Cumberbatch is being considered for Dr. Strange.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2012
    If I remember correctly Nathan Fillion is supposed to play Ant-Man.
    Also one that Benedict Cumberbatch is being considered for Dr. Strange.
    Benedict Cumberbatch just needs to be in more things, period.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Nathan Fillion is a really polite dude!
  • I dunno, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are already coming out next year. CA2 is scheduled for 2014. Avengers 2 will probably be in 2015, unless they have another big hero movie they haven't announced.
  • ...before he got Whedon-ed.
    I like to call this, "Washing out."
  • I dunno, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are already coming out next year. CA2 is scheduled for 2014. Avengers 2 will probably be in 2015, unless they have another big hero movie they haven't announced.
    There's supposedly 3 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies coming out in 2014, and the only announced one is Captain America 2, which will be the first one of the movies that will directly deal with the events of the Avengers.

Marvel is also developing TV shows that will feed into the MCU an the only announced one is "AKA Jessica Jones", which will of course feature Jessica Jones, Luke Cage (Isaiah Mustafa wants to play him), and Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel).

Also, Ant-Man will apparently start with Hank Pym as Ant-Man, but will flash-forward to the second Ant-Man, Scott Lang. I guess we won't have any Hank Pym spousal abuse in the MCU. They're also making a SHIELD movie, another Punisher reboot (but this one will be in the MCU), and are trying to make lower-budgeted films dealing with Dr. Strange (my personal favourite out of the Marvel universe, and holy shit would Benedict Cumberbatch be awesome as him. Patrick Dempsey is another name that has been thrown around, and I actually think that is pretty fitting), Black Panther, Iron Fist, and Vision.

• That's simply ridiculous.