This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2012

edited May 2012 in Conventions
I got (at least) one of the three panels I submitted to Otakon accepted this year! I will be running "When You Wish Upon a Tezuka" at the con this year!

Comments

• I wish I could go to conventions and stuff...But brokeness/transporation/need to be working.
  • I got (at least) one of the three panels I submitted to Otakon accepted this year! I will be running "When You Wish Upon a Tezuka" at the con this year!
    Congratulations!

The family and I are planning to be at Otakon this year. So hopefully you and I can finally talk Disney stuff IRL. And also just generally speaking we're Otakon noobs so welcome any advice.

• My biggest piece of advice is to get a map of the BCC during Otakon (preferably from this year, but last year's would do nicely) and memorize it. The BCC is freaking massive and is very overwhelming.

Also, we should start planning the Otakon FRCF Meet-Up.
  • Also, we should start planning the Otakon FRCF Meet-Up.
    I should actually meet people this year, rather than being extremely preoccupied (albeit for very legitimate reasons.)
  • Also, who else is cosplaying this year? Harlock (with Anrild as Esmereldas) is finally happening, as is Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2 Li and Sakura.
  • edited May 2012
    -Accidental double post due to forum crashing on me-
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Also, we should start planning the Otakon FRCF Meet-Up.
  • I might show from Saturday, but probably not the whole con. Definitely not Sunday, my friends are organizing an auto-x.
  • edited May 2012
    I'll probably go to Otakon again when it's not 8 hours from my house.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I'm thinking about going but it's the weekend after I come back from my cruise, already sad I am missing Connecticon.
  • I'm just going to say, for those on the fence about going: Ryan and I are going to look amazing and have awesome groups and you'll be disappointed you missed it when the pictures come out if you don't go.

/conceited moment.
    I have to take pride in my work, particularly since right now I'm staying up to meticulously bead Madoka for this weekend and line a jacket for Yoko.
  • I'll probably go to Otakon again when it's not 8 hours from my house.
    Also when the staff aren't complete and total douches to you and/or Will.

• I do wish I could attend, Katie. I want to see everyone...
  • I'm thinking when this gets closer, it calls for a GroupMe.
  • Man, I am looking forward to finally cosplaying as Harlock. I'm just not looking forward to literally being blind while having the full cosplay on.
  • Why will you be blind? I understand one eye will be under a patch, but why couldn't you use the other?
  • edited May 2012
    Man, I am looking forward to finally cosplaying as Harlock. I'm just not looking forward to literally being blind while having the full cosplay on.
    Also look forward to being hot all weekend.
    And yes, that's an intentional double meaning, for those wondering.

To be honest, you really shouldn't have to worry about the eye patch unless someone's taking pictures, and although I know you want to wear it all day, around-the-con pictures aren't that important. It's fun to try to find them, it's fun to be stopped, but the pictures (IF you find them) are largely extremely poor quality.

Also look forward to the makeup. And don't worry, we'll have an entourage to help us navigate the convention center.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • I'm gonna be there. I didn't get any word on my panels yet. We should have a party!
  • I'm gonna be there. I didn't get any word on my panels yet. We should have a party!
    This.

Also: Where's everybody staying? We're at the Marriott Waterfront but if I find something available closer to the con we'll be moving.

• I'll probably go to Otakon again when it's not 8 hours from my house.
    Also when the staff aren't complete and total douches to you and/or Will.

That's a whole different thing. I dislike what they did, but its only one of many reasons why I'm not going to Otakon.
  • We'll go if they invite us back. ;^)
  • Hah hah.. As expected, Otakon denied our panels. Funny how they literally never denied us once every year from 2002 until the year they decided they hated us. ;^)

Bonus points that the head of panels appears to be the very person (Bruce) who "stepped down" the year we had to decline to attend Otakon as staff after no one would respond to us or tell us what they intended for us to do at the con.

They never actually kicked us off the staff or informed us of anything. One day, they just stopped responding to emails and never contacted us again. The last conversation I had with them as staff (or at all really) was the "debate" on whether or not to continue to blacklist Daryl Surat from performing panels.

I wonder how long they'll blacklist us. ^_~
  • For as long as passive-aggressive bullshit and poor organization is the Otakon gold standard. Probably. So you might as well forget about doing panels there ever again. ;P
  • I know they didn't blacklist Daryl because last year I went to his late night panel that had been banned the year before :-p
  • I know they didn't blacklist Daryl because last year I went to his late night panel that had been banned the year before :-p
    He was un-blacklisted. But prior to that, I sat on a meeting where the whole purpose was to discuss "The Daryl Surat Situation." A number of other staffers (no names to be named) openly wanted to ban him from the con entirely, nevermind blacklist him from doing any panels. I was kind of aghast: this was the first "official" Otakon panels department discussion I was ever a part of, and it had seemed surprisingly mean-spirited.

We'll just keep on keepin' on with Anime Boston, PAX, ConnectiCon, and the like. We'll continue to submit panels every year to Otakon, and we'll gladly present if they invite us. You are of course all free to let them know if you in fact do want us to attend. Only the AB people have seen our more recent anime stuff so far! ;^)

This.

Also, we totally need to hang out this year and not just at the Con Feedback Panel.
    Also: Where's everybody staying? We're at the Marriott Waterfront but if I find something available closer to the con we'll be moving.
    I believe we are staying at the Sheraton that is right across the street from the Convention Centre Hotel. We're going to be staying in Baltimore from Thursday-Monday and it's still going to be less expensive than staying at the Convention Centre Hotel for just Friday-Sunday and we're getting a bigger room.

• Well, we might not be at the Marriott Waterfront after all. I just booked us at the Holiday Inn near the Convention Center, pretty much the only thing I could find within safe-at-night walking distance. It's more expensive (and probably not as comfy), but I have precious little tolerance for a long commute to/from conventions.
  • If you all are meeting up and don't mind holding the get together outside the convention hall I be happy to swing down to see you guys. The convention does nothing for me but be happy to chill with you all.
  • The meet-up would most likely not be in the convention centre, as it really hasn't been in the past, but we will definitely take that into consideration while planning it. Also, we should make a Facebook event page.
  • Really? Facebook? Why not a Google Plus invitation ;^)