This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Website is Upgraded!

Comments

• I always have problems trying to download podcasts from the mobile version of iTunes with shows that have a lot of episodes in the feed. The pages just freeze up and the app crashes.
    Maybe a separate archive feed that has everything would be better.
  • Or maybe iTunes can stop sucking so hard.
  • Separate archive feed by day/season is probably the way to go. Google Listen also has problems with very large feeds.
  • You wanna know something wierd? There is a whole set of Geeknights podcasts I associate strongly with the Total War games, because I spent most of the summer of 2006 listening through the archives/the new podcast every day and playing Rome and Medieval Total War.
    I associate various Electric Six songs with Dune. I could read a piece of Dune and suddenly Gay Bar could start playing in my head. It's amazing, especially with baron Harkonnen fawning over his pretty nephew.
  • I associate Holst's The Planets with Civilization II and vice versa, due largely to the old days of PC games where, if you put a random audio CD into the drive, the game would play tracks from it as background music.
  • There's a somewhat random set of Geeknights I associate with Paris due to my Geeknights binge having coincided with my travels there, and whenever I play Civ 5 Daryl Surat starts talking to me about The Truth.
  • whenever I play Civ 5 Daryl Surat starts talking to me about The Truth.
    At least you got an inspiration speech of sorts.
  • What Fast Karate episode is this from...?
  • Daryl Surat does Anime World Order, not Fast Karate.
  • Separate archive feed by day/season is probably the way to go. Google Listen also has problems with very large feeds.
    I use Google Listen and like that it integrates with my Google Reader subscriptions so I can manage it from the Web, but man does it suck. Anyone have a recommended Android podcatcher that doesn't suck?
  • Oh weird, I read that as Dave Riley. Nevermind.
    I use Google Listen and like that it integrates with my Google Reader subscriptions so I can manage it from the Web, but man does it suck. Anyone have a recommended Android podcatcher that doesn't suck?
    I use Podkicker but it is not so great either. I am not sure how it is in comparison to Google Listen though as I have yet to use that.
  • edited June 2012
    A quick Google suggests DoggCatcher is pretty good, though it costs money.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    I use Podkicker but it is not so great either. I am not sure how it is in comparison to Google Listen though as I have yet to use that.
    What don't you like about Listen? Maybe that will help us find you an alternative. I like Listen just fine myself, and I regularly go back into podcast feeds to find old episodes way deep in.
  • I am also curious what you don't like about listen. It basically does exactly what I always said a podcatcher should do.
  • edited June 2012
    I have found a possible reason he dislikes it, it puts it in an odd order. I have it set to sort by newest but this is the order of the first 5 Geeknights podcasts in the feed: Governments Hackers, Rym Returns from Istanbul, Jared Sorensen, Making Sushi Special, and Model Rocketry.

Edit: After looking at it closer it looks like there is a received date and published date, the received date is the one it is being sorted by. I have no clue how to get it to sort by published date yet.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Oh, I forgot to mention that the Jared Sorensen episode never showed up in iTunes. I just checked again and it still isn't there. I'll get it from the website when I want to give it a listen.
  • Listen is ugly, it often refuses to remember what podcast I was most recently listening to (It always assumes I want the one at the top of the queue, which is incorrect if I'm listening to something else), management of the queue is terrible, adding subscriptions from within the app is awful (a search for "geeknights" yields a whopping ZERO results), sometimes the app will randomly pause what I'm listening to for no reason...

The experience is far from smooth.
  • Listen is ugly, it often refuses to remember what podcast I was most recently listening to (It always assumes I want the one at the top of the queue, which is incorrect if I'm listening to something else), management of the queue is terrible, adding subscriptions from within the app is awful (a search for "geeknights" yields a whopping ZERO results), sometimes the app will randomly pause what I'm listening to for no reason...

The experience is far from smooth.
    I have to agree with you, it did not automatically sync with Google Reader for me, I had to manually create a Listen Subscription folder and even then I had to uninstall and reinstall the app twice to get that to sync. I think I will stick with my other app for now. Hell, even if the only issue I had with it was the sorting that is a ridiculous issue to have, who does not use the publish date to sort?
  • Ahh, I stopped using Google Reader a long time ago. I use Listen literally just to listen to podcasts subscribed through it, and it works like a charm. I don't use the directory or search or any other functionality: just raw RSS feeds added manually.

As for randomly pausing, I suspect that's an issue with your phone and not the app itself.
  • Ahh, I stopped using Google Reader a long time ago. I use Listen literally just to listen to podcasts subscribed through it, and it works like a charm. I don't use the directory or search or any other functionality: just raw RSS feeds added manually.

As for randomly pausing, I suspect that's an issue with your phone and not the app itself.
    Do you not have an issue with the sorting in the feeds? I tried just subscribing though it and still had that issue.
  • >Do you not have an issue with the sorting in the feeds? I tried just subscribing though it and still had that issue.
    Honestly? I've never seen anything like you described. It always just worked.

Once, it showed two episodes of This American Life duplicated. That's about it.

• Jared Sorensen shows up in iTunes for me. 20111105.
  • Honestly? I've never seen anything like you described. It always just worked.

Once, it showed two episodes of This American Life duplicated. That's about it.
    Odd, I wonder if it is user specific with the received date, but that would make even less sense. Oh well, sticking with my annoying app for now.
  • Oh, I forgot to mention that the Jared Sorensen episode never showed up in iTunes. I just checked again and it still isn't there. I'll get it from the website when I want to give it a listen.
    It showed up for me just fine in iTunes, so I don't know what might be causing that.
  • Okay, I made a mistake. I thought there was a new episode with a Sorensen interview that came out in the last few weeks, but that might have been Google Redaer showing me an old episode.
  • edited June 2012
    When they upgraded the website, the feed was reset, and Google Reader reloaded many of the entries; the date Google Reader displays is the date on which it noticed the entries rather than the original publication date, and so currently my Google Reader has a bunch of duplicate entries dated 29/05/12 that were actually older episodes. For some reason, the Sorensen interview happens to be the first of those.
  • Google Reader, Y U NO look at the dates I give you?
  • That must have been it.
  • edited June 2012
    The funny thing is that Google Reader actually does take note of the date of publication, and can display it to you when you hover over it.

The other thing I wonder about is why the duplicates happened at all. Did the guid field stay the same? I can't see a way to check this because I can't see what the raw RSS was before.

Stranger still, the duplicate entries have feedproxy URLs that don't work, e.g.
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/GeekNights/~3/hgdbXR-kMOE/
    for the Jared Sorensen episode.