This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

E3 2012 Announcements

edited June 2012 in Video Games
Ripoff Xbox 360 controller for the Wii U. Also, touchscreen game pad redesign doubles as a TV remote.
Post edited by Sail on

Comments

• The remote thing was great. I'm glad there's a glorified Xbox controller so we can get good ports (though I will forever miss my ability to use Gamecube controllers).
    The Miiverse looks cute. Glad to see Nintendo's on board with, you know, the internet.

But that commercial in the middle was so terrible it made my eyes and ears bleed.
  • My thoughts so far on Wii U:
    -the remote thing is cute, but I'd rather have a Harmony
    -I think the 360 shows that they really want third parties on board, and that the tablet is not comfortable to use for games that aren't going to use its capabilities.
    -Mii Wara Wara & Miiverse are "cute" and novel, but I think at the detriment of actually being useful. They need to be innovative, not novel.

Generally I feel like they are trying to do too much, and are also trying to be cute/novel when they need to be innovative. What they need to do is to show, not only why they are different from the current 360 and PS3, but why they deserve our attention when the next Sony and Microsoft console show up and blow it out of the water hardware wise. How is it going to be something more than just another Nintendo console for Nintendo games?
  • Well, this is one of Nintendo's last chances to survive, make it's time. If they don't pull it off right now, they've got a handful of years. They are dead once a generation of kids grows up not giving a shit about their brand. From what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like the Wii U is going to work out.
  • Well, this is one of Nintendo's last chances to survive, make it's time. If they don't pull it off right now, they've got a handful of years. They are dead once a generation of kids grows up not giving a shit about their brand. From what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like the Wii U is going to work out.
    What in the flying fuck are you talking about? Just from the Wii, Nintendo has more money than they could ever hope for. Sure they had a slight downturn in sales from the poor launch of the 3DS, but if they go the same route with the WiiU than they did with the Wii (lower priced console and make it appeal to a wide range of people), then it will rake in money like the Wii did. The fact that they are also trying to snag the hardcore gamer again is just icing on the cake. Nintendo isn't going anywhere any time soon.
  • The same trick likely won't work twice. I'm doubtful of Nintendo's future prospects myself. I should note that I no longer have any Nintendo stock...
  • I care lots about the 3DS and I care not one bit about the Wii U. I just want 3DS news.
  • It doesn't matter how much cash you have in the bank. If you don't have profits for many quarters in a row, then heads will roll.
  • The same trick likely won't work twice. I'm doubtful of Nintendo's future prospects myself. I should note that I no longer have any Nintendo stock...
    Tangentially, it's funny to note that you no longer have to say things like "This does not constitute any sort of financial advice" after saying things like that.

Honestly, I'm on the edge about Nintendo. They're doing some things right (pushing hard for 3DS combo eShop/Retail launches), some things right, but late (ditching Friend Codes with the launch of the Nintendo Network), and some things that we'll just have to see how it works out (WiiU). I think it's going to take more than one bad console to erase the money and power the Wii provided them. After all, this is a company that weathered the N64 and the GameCube, both of which had rather lackluster lives.

Also, honestly, if you want real games on a handheld, they're basically the only game in town. And I say this as someone who's a very happy owner of a PSP. The 3DS isn't selling terribly behind where the DS was a the same point in it's lifespan, last I checked, and may even be a bit ahead.
  • Where're my 3DS flashcards at, though?
  • Where're my 3DS flashcards at, though?
    I fail to see how that's a failing on Nintendo's part.

I'm also pretty sure that by this point in the DS' life, flashcarts either barely existed, or were crap.

There was a 3DS flashcart proof of concept that could run one game at a time, but I didn't follow that news enough to come away with anything about it.
  • I was being facetious. I don't think I'll buy a 3DS until there are flashcards for it, though. I'm tired of physical media.
  • I had a 3DS flashcart that worked before the first big update. I'm sure there's a firmware patch for it by now and it works again, I'm just lazy.
  • I had a 3DS flashcart that worked before the first big update. I'm sure there's a firmware patch for it by now and it works again, I'm just lazy.
    Did it play 3DS games? Because there are still flashcarts that work in DS mode, but they don't have access to the DSi/3DS features.
  • I don't understand the need for flash-carts. Is carrying around a couple games really that big a deal? I get that it's convenient, but...It just seems like it's not a necessary feature of a handheld for me.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't see the need for flashcarts for 3DS games(besides piracy). We're getting downloadable versions of the retail games.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I don't see the need for flashcarts for 3DS games(besides piracy). We're getting downloadable versions of the retail games.
    Oh! That solves that issue; I'll grab a 3DS this summer.
  • edited June 2012
    I think Nintendo Network is going to solve a lot of issues and make the 3DS awesome. Fewer physical games, no more friend codes. Hopefully we'll get more news on it this week.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Why I'm confident the Wii U will succeed.

• I can't wait until someone hacks the Wii U gamepad. Big touchscreen, camera, NFC, another unspecified high bandwidth wireless tech, dual joysticks and lots of buttons? Potential.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm not excited at all by what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U so far. At this point I just want really solid traditional games. It would take some mind-blowing application for the Wii U technology that I had never considered in order for me to jump on board.

Sure, there are tons of little awesome gimmicks that the Wii U could pull off, but I learned with the Wii that they are still gimmicks, and not worth the $$$ in the longrun. I was thinking about sports games earlier.

How cool would it be to play soccer/hockey where some players were on the field (using Wiimotes) while the goalie got to play on the tablet and block shots from a first person view? Cool, but not a system seller.

On the Microsoft front, they are expected to unveil companion apps for smartphones and tablets that talk to your 360 and turn the phone/tablet into a player aid for whatever game is running (maps, inventory, etc.). I like it, but we've seen this so many times now and it's never paid off. I am numb to the concept.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Every amazing idea I have for what could be done with the Wii U gamepad, could have been done with the GBA/GC or the DS/Wii. Two generations of consoles, and no one pushed it to the next level. I have zero confidence that somehow, in this third iteration, something will happen.
  • Every amazing idea I have for what could be done with the Wii U gamepad, could have been done with the GBA/GC or the DS/Wii. Two generations of consoles, and no one pushed it to the next level. I have zero confidence that somehow, in this third iteration, something will happen.
    Pretty much. To make it worse, I haven't see any news about the number of WiiU pads that can be used simultaneously. If it's not one for every player, then what are they going to do? Pac-Man Vs. 2?

If they would just actually push it to the limit, they could conquer again easily. Imagine if the WiiU Madden let you pick plays on the screen, and was otherwise a complete Madden game. Would it not become the preferred platform?

No matter what their hardware is, there is no indication they, or third parties, will produce quality software in sufficient quantity to make anything happen.
  • CS: GO, Aug 21st. $15.
    fucking yesssss
    Really? That cheap? Kinda surprising. Knowing Valve, though, most of the people who want it are going to have played the Beta to death, so I guess it's not overly surprising.
  • edited June 2012
    Betting on a hat-based economy. Even if it's not literal hats.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2012
    Betting on a hat-based economy. Even if it's not literal hats.
    Maybe so, but they will not make it play 2 win. They know competitive games. DotA 2 only has purely cosmetic hats. CS:GO will be the same. They will not charge $1 to get the AWP.

How come this isn't in the Steam store yet? Y U NO take my money?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, exactly. Valve knows better than to make their most skill-based game into something like that.
  • I think Valve is just ahead of the curve on knowing the value of their product. It's going to be launching with versions on XBLA, PSN. $15 is appropriate there. If they came out looking for $30 the game would get overlooked by those who are not already hooked on Counter Strike
  • I'm in the CS:GO beta. I will pay for permanent access the second Valve will let me. I'd pay $30 for it if I had to.