This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Rym Returns from Istanbul

edited June 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight brings GeekNights' triumphant return, as Rym himself returns from Istanbul by way of Germany to resume the normal show schedule! We talk about that, but not before some discussion of Toonami's return and a GeekBite of The Avengers, nevermind ConnectiCon 2012 and the changes to our web site! We return. We live. We hunger.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• So, not Constantinople?
  • Why the changed it, I can't say.
  • That's nobody's business but the Turks.
  • Why the changed it, I can't say.
    People just liked it better that way.

• HAHAHA LIKE IN THAT SONG
  • I made that joke on Twitter WEEKS ago, guys.
  • I made that joke on Twitter WEEKS ago, guys.
    People read your twitter?
  • The info on Germany (especially Munich) is going to be quite useful as I am going to head there for my final semester in a few months. No German required as the course is taught in English and from what Rym said hopefully it will all be understandable (no heavy accents).

• I feel the need to correct Scott on his interpretation of the character Hawkeye. What he describes in this episode is in fact a cool idea, but is something that he has made up whole cloth due to unfamiliarity with the character and his history. In fact Hawkeye was never actually a bad guy. In his first appearance he explicit states that he intends to fight crime and be a hero. He is mistaken for a villain and then seduced into helping the Black Widow, leading him to act as a villain for a number of issues. He eventually decides that it is not worth it to sell his soul over this woman and turns against her to aid Iron Man, beginning his redemption which completes when he joins the second roster of the Avengers. After that point he demonstrates over and over again that he is a well-meaning, morally centered individual and eventually makes something of a career of offering second chances to other supervillains. This is the story that one finds if they actually read Hawkeye's formative stories and appearances in the IRON MAN and AVENGERS comics.
  • I feel the need to correct Scott on his interpretation of the character Hawkeye. What he describes in this episode is in fact a cool idea, but is something that he has made up whole cloth due to unfamiliarity with the character and his history. In fact Hawkeye was never actually a bad guy. In his first appearance he explicit states that he intends to fight crime and be a hero. He is mistaken for a villain and then seduced into helping the Black Widow, leading him to act as a villain for a number of issues. He eventually decides that it is not worth it to sell his soul over this woman and turns against her to aid Iron Man, beginning his redemption which completes when he joins the second roster of the Avengers. After that point he demonstrates over and over again that he is a well-meaning, morally centered individual and eventually makes something of a career of offering second chances to other supervillains. This is the story that one finds if they actually read Hawkeye's formative stories and appearances in the IRON MAN and AVENGERS comics.
    Lame. I obviously never read those old ass comics. The Hawkeye comics I've read the other heroes were always acting cautious about him. Like, is it cool to bring him? Isn't he a bad guy?
    You just pointed out everything wrong with the comic book industry today.
  • Modern takes on golden age and Silver age heroes are ALWAYS better then their original origin stories. I've been reading a lot of classic comics up through their modern counter parts and the old stuff is nearly unreadable, even the "classic" old stuff is just passable compared to modern comic storytelling techniques.
  • edited June 2012

^ "Simple" explanation.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • When I said all gardens looked symmetrical in Europe, I meant that it was a certain fashion for a while in royal parks and public gardens. Only in the 1800's did anyone think that a garden or park was meant to look in any way natural at all. If Central Park had been made 100 years earlier, it would look exactly the same as those in Europe from the time. Of course, the parks in Berlin made in the last 150 years are very much like Central Park, in that there are rocks and winding paths and forest areas and open grass. It's just a question of fashion.
  • The idea of a symmetrical garden is far more ancient than even that. The word "paradise" actually comes from an ancient Persian word that roughly means "a symmetrical walled garden." This notion can be seen in the Taj Mahal, but it also can be noticed in other ancient gardens in regions that have had some sort of Middle Eastern cultural influence, where from the Persians, the Arabs, or anyone else spreading Islam.
  • Tomb Guards Reprimanding Visitors
    I like how they say "requested".
  • "Requested", in context, means "You fucking will or I will punch you in the throat".
  • "Requested", in context, means "You fucking will or I will punch you in the throat".
    Funny thing, context.
  • edited November 2014
    Had a good laugh while listening to this episode randomly today. While talking about obscure superheroes like Squirrel Girl and how they should get their own movies, Scrym had the following exchange:
    R: Okay how 'bout that raccoon guy?

S: What raccoon guy?

R: There's a little raccoon guy.

S: Oh, Rocket Raccoon?

R: Yeah! [...] Let's make a crossover between him and Howard the Duck!
    Scott also suggested using Beatles music for a Rocket Raccoon movie. Not exactly the same retro cool music they ended up using, but still. Behold the prophets, look ye mighty and all that. ;)
    Post edited by Eryn on