This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

OK, n00b question

edited June 2012 in Everything Else
What's up with these 150+ page, 6000+ comment threads that just keep getting appended forever? :) I mean, I understand the "bounce" concept, but I don't think I've ever seen such an extreme case. Is it just tradition?

I'll tell ya, it makes viewing those threads on a mobile browser, which omits the page links in favor of a "show more comments" button, essentially impossible.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    The "Mark All Viewed" button works wonders. Also, it's waaayyy better to have one thread for all the stupid things people find on the internet and want to post here than to have 6000 threads for each of the stupid things people find on the internet and want to post here.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Just view the forum in desktop mode in your mobile browser.

And yes, "Mark All Viewed" is great.
  • What's up with these 150+ page, 6000+ comment threads that just keep getting appended forever? :) I mean, I understand the "bounce" concept, but I don't think I've ever seen such an extreme case. Is it just tradition?
    Rym and Scott said "Thread necromancy is okay and encouraged!" and for some reason we listened.
  • Yeah, there's no such thing as necromancy on this forum. It's not uncommon for years-old threads to be resurrected for random commentary.
  • Necromancers are totally awesome. Who doesn't want to be one? Maybe you can aspire to becoming a lich.
  • Yeah, there's no such thing as necromancy on this forum. It's not uncommon for years-old threads to be resurrected for random commentary.
    And some threads never even get down far enough to ever be "resurrected". I don't think I've ever seen the Things of Your Day thread fall below the second page of discussions.
  • There is no end to the shit you get for starting a new thread for a topic when one already exists. It's a little more slack now that the forum has been "upgraded" with a super-special useless search function, but still.
  • If anything, we should have one thread for the various conventions and yearly things that happen that most of us talk about or attend like:

PAX
    Connecticon
    MAGFest
    E3
    Otakon
    Anime Expo

While I know I've created a good number of the PAX threads, I think it's better to just read one thread of all the PAX items. You could go through it and see the history of PAX with this forum. Of course, the podcast related threads make sense to be separate since it's under the "Geek Nights" category.
  • I use "Mark All Read" constantly. Doesn't seem to have any effect on where my android browser starts the comments when I click. Desktop mode? I'll need bifocals. :)

Oh well, it's not major, just curious. I've never seen a forum culture where multiple thousand post long threads are encouraged, before. :)
  • Also your query could have been put in the Random Questions thread. ^_~

I will agree, however that I do not like how they don't show different pages for threads in mobile view as well. It took me forever to look for a specific comment I made about a video card I purchased last year. I needed to find it because at the time, I was at the computer store and needed to see if they had that item in stock for the bf.
    Ah, but it was a nonrandom question!
    Is any question truly random?
    Is any question truly random?
    Indeed. I put questions there all the time when it's not random. It's just random because I could not find a more appropriate thread at the time.

Also the Random Comments thread is fun to read!
  • Yeah; the word "miscellaneous" would have been more appropriate than "random" in both cases, I think, if less entertaining.
  • Just view the forum in desktop mode in your mobile browser.

And yes, "Mark All Viewed" is great.
    That makes things look SO much better. Gracias.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm surprised no new people have questioned us about this thread, though I guess it's not the longest thread on the forum anymore.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • It also doesn't get updated anymore. What should be more surprising is that so few new people ask whether Rym and Scott are gay.
  • They don't live together any more. They haven't acted like a couple in quite a while. I think "Rym and Scott are gay" might be our version of "newfags can't triforce."
  • edited June 2012
    They haven't lived together for a long time now. It's hard to make that leap.
    Edit: Ninja'd
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited June 2012
    Let's not forget that thread necromancy brings up some unexpected - dare I say - skeletons. There have been a few times I've seen posts I wrote years ago where I thought "What was I thinking?"

We do not forget around here.

There are other benefits. For example - imagine if someone had to make a new thread every time they had some embarrassing dating situation. Why, that may actually cause people like me to hold back on my incessant rambling sitcom-esque stories about girls who got away. How would the forum survive!?!
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Imagine the entire front page of the forum just ponies ponies ponies. Instead ponies is just listed once.
  • Imagine the entire front page of the forum just ponies ponies ponies. Instead ponies is just listed once.
    I'd leave :P
    Once, defined by Scott.
    Once, defined by Scott.
    I started zero of those.
    Once, defined by Scott.
    I started zero of those.
    I know, but you are the one who stated that ponies are there just once.

Once, defined by Scott.
    I started zero of those.
    I know, but you are the one who stated that ponies are there just once.

You are lucky they are only there four times.
  • Don't worry, if you want irritating pony spam, the entire rest of the internet has you covered.
  • edited June 2012
    Imagine the entire front page of the forum just ponies ponies ponies. Instead ponies is just listed once.
    Once, defined by Scott.
    All but one of those threads are no longer on the front page, though.
    In any case, having only one thread for many things like this makes a lot of sense. It tends to reduce the amount of rehashing, and it makes it much easier to skip over content you're not interested in.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • On the other hand, it can lead to wading through pages of Scott-argument when trying to catch up on a thread you haven't read in a while.