This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What New Laptop Should I Get?

Comments

• Oh. WTF am I using Launchy for then? Stupid Windows and its hidden dialog boxes.
  • edited June 2012
    As long as you've told Windows to index wherever it is you want to look, it will find it just fine. For the most part, this shouldn't need modifying except when you put stuff in non-default locations.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • As long as you've told Windows to index wherever it is you want to look, it will find it just fine. For the most part, this shouldn't need modifying except when you put stuff in non-default locations.
    You know all those programs that don't have msi or setup.exe installers? The ones that are just a zip file with some files and an exe in them? Lots of indie games do this. Arduino software still does this, IIRC. I put them in c:\users\username\Applications. Then I tell Launchy to look there, recursively.
  • edited June 2012
    As long as you've told Windows to index wherever it is you want to look, it will find it just fine. For the most part, this shouldn't need modifying except when you put stuff in non-default locations.
    You know all those programs that don't have msi or setup.exe installers? The ones that are just a zip file with some files and an exe in them? Lots of indie games do this. Arduino software still does this, IIRC. I put them in c:\users\username\Applications. Then I tell Launchy to look there, recursively.
    I think with default settings Windows already indexes C:\Users, so that should've worked out of the box.

Personally, I keep those kinds of programs in C:\Standalone (This is the only extra folder of my own I have directly in C:) and I only just realised the idea of adding it to the indexing locations.

I hadn't really been bothered by it previously, because I don't tend to have many applications of that kind anyway, but it's an improvement. As for applications of this type, apart from indie games, I can name Console2 and Eclipse, as well as a decent number of benchmarking/monitoring applications.
  • I am kind of torn between two Lenovo laptops that I want to purchase with some money I just got and I need some help choosing what I want to get. If any of you could give me a recommendation, I'd really appreciate it.

If I want to record/edit podcasts, edit video, play games, and do just about everything else I need to do on a computer (getting a desktop computer is out of the question at this point in time due to lack of space), should I go with the X230 or the W530?
  • If you actually want to play games, you need a laptop with a video card. That means you can't get a small laptop. The X230 is NOT a gaming machine. Integrated Intel video is garbage for that purpose.
  • edited June 2012
    Actually, you can probably play most games with Intel's latest chip, though I'd look at some benchmarks to decide. You'll definitely have to turn settings down and you'll get poor framerates on the more demanding games, but many of them would probably be playable.

EDIT: Here's a decent set of reference benchmarks.

In any case, it depends on your priorities. You can probably get something with a solid graphics card for a similar price, but it will be much larger and have very little battery life. You can also get similar performance at significantly lower prices if you sacrifice some quality and get something slightly larger.
  • Those benchmarks are the best illustration of NVidias stupid numbering scheme I have ever seen. GT 520 is less than half as powerful as the GT 440.
  • It's definitely pretty stupid, but it does at least follow a recognizable pattern.
  • What is the pattern?
  • edited June 2012
    First number = generation.
    Second number = position within that generation; more specifically,
    0-2 worthless
    3-4 low end
    5-6 value/midrange
    7 somewhat less performance than 8 at a significantly lower cost
    8 overpriced best single GPU
    9 two GPUs in one card

Moreover, overall performance typically doesn't change that much from one generation to the next, so the tiers tend to matter about as much as the generations.

AMD's numbering follows a fairly similar scheme, though they also have that xx50 vs xx70 quirk of theirs.
  • edited February 2015
    If you currently have a Lenovo laptop (I have an IdeaPad myself, and before this it was my #1 suggestion for people who wanted a gaming-style laptop), check the cert info. If you have superfish, all certs will have Superfish, Inc. in the "Issued By" field.

Fortunately, my laptop is Superfish free.

But yes, this is horseshit.
    Tripwire said:

Superfish uses a deprecated SHA1 certificate. SHA1 has been replaced by SHA-256 because attacks against SHA1 are now feasible with ordinary computing hardware. This is insult on top of injury. Not only are they compromising peoples SSL connections but they are doing it in the most cavalier, insecure way possible.
    Even worse, they use crackable 1024-bit RSA!

HAHAHAHAHA FUCK THIS.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Disappointing. Thinkpads were my go to laptop. The whole PC market is going to shit.
  • Was going to buy a Lenovo since I had a good experience with them at work. But Asus look to be better, specially in light of this.
  • 2bfree said:

Disappointing. Thinkpads were my go to laptop. The whole PC market is going to shit.

How do you go from one Chinese manufacturer fucking up a release to stating that the entire PC industry is going to shit?

I've personally preferred small Dell XPS modles. The new XPS 13 makes me want to buy it even though I only bought last year's XPS 13.

• My Macbook Pro is certainly showing it's age. I'm ready to go back to PC/Windows when it completely craps out. This is an odd request, but what company makes the studious laptops that can deal with bumps, luggage, and even a potential fall? I do like that aspect with my MacBook. The only other experienced I've had were Dell laptops from 6-7 years ago which were the shittiest thing.
  • I think if I was to get a laptop these days I would maybe get a Surface. But I don't really have any need for another tablet or a laptop for that matter.
  • sK0pe said:

2bfree said:

Disappointing. Thinkpads were my go to laptop. The whole PC market is going to shit.

How do you go from one Chinese manufacturer fucking up a release to stating that the entire PC industry is going to shit?
    Lenovo was a market leader of quality laptops, and they decided to discard their reputation to shill ads in the stupidest way possible. Were they desperate for money or just stupid? If there was anyone at Lenovo that told them this was a terrible plan—and I have to hope there was—they decided to go through with it anyway.
  • Get a Macbook Pro and use bootcamp.
  • Apreche said:

Get a Macbook Pro and use bootcamp.

Or this, or get a ThinkPad. They're pretty sturdy too from what I understand.
  • I will never trust another lenovo product. Ever. Even if it was reformatted.
  • Andrew said:

I will never trust another lenovo product. Ever. Even if it was reformatted.

Agreed.

• sK0pe said:

2bfree said:

Lenovo doing this is indicative of the problems in the consumer PC business. The average consumer (not people that read this forum) increasingly don't need more than their smartphone, and maybe a cheap tablet for their computing needs. Meanwhile PC manufacturers are in a race to the bottom.

People should see what Lenovo did as a sign of desperation.
  • Even without the recent disaster, Lenovo has been downhill for years. The changes to the touchpad and keyboard on the ThinkPad were enough to make me never consider buying another one.
  • Did they put like adware on them now or something? I guess I missed that.
  • edited February 2015
    MATATAT said:

Did they put like adware on them now or something? I guess I missed that.

They did for a few months, and it turned out to be not just an adware, but a malware.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Microsoft sells Windows licenses to these OEMs at a steep discount. They should renegotiate these discount contracts such that OEMs can only get the discounted price if they agree to not modify the default Windows install in any way, shape, or form. If they want to preinstall garbage to make money, they can use that money to pay the full retail price for a Windows license.

If they have a special driver they need, they should make it a standard Windows driver and have it distributed via Windows Update using the existing Windows APIs. There's no reason to give some special software for managing wifi when Windows includes that already.

Most of the bad reputation of Windows is really because most people are using Windows that has been ruined by preinstalled garbage. If Microsoft had forced everyone to have clean Windows from the beginning, then the overall opinion of PCs would be much much better. It's too late to do anything about the past, but better late than never.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • MATATAT said:

Did they put like adware on them now or something? I guess I missed that.

I was tweeting about it a bunch, and we'll talk about it on GeekNights on Monday (yay, we're returning!).

They put malicious malware on their laptops. Really bad dangerous malware.

• Well fuck that then.
  • I mean, it wasn't supposed to do anything more than inject ads into websites you were visiting, until they decided that a good way to implement that was SSL hijacking...

Due to having a free work laptop, I haven't actually turned on my personal laptop in a couple months. At home, I'm either on my desktop or just using my Nexus 7, and when I go out I take my work laptop in case I need it. I may never buy a personal laptop again.

Related to buying laptops: I have a Chromebook for work. If you're barely doing anything, they're cheap and sufficient - when I need to do coding work I can just SSH to a computer at work. However, they're just not as feature-rich as a "real" laptop, and they only really work when connected to the Internet. They're really cheap though.