This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What New Laptop Should I Get?

13»

Comments

• I sold my laptop because I hadn't turned it on in a year and a half. I was usually using my iPad or doing something on my desktop.
  • MATATAT said:

I sold my laptop because I hadn't turned it on in a year and a half. I was usually using my iPad or doing something on my desktop.

My iPad has almost completely replaced the laptop, but there are a few occasions I still need it. That being said, I definitely don't need to upgrade it or get a new one any time soon.
  • The only reason I have to turn mine on going forward is to get a Crusader Kings II savegame off of it. :P
  • I only use my laptop when I go visit my parents for a weekend or holidays.
  • I went the other way years ago. Only a laptop, no desktop.
  • I went the other way years ago. Only a laptop, no desktop.

If I didn't need heavy GPUs, I'd go the same route.

• ASUS G551JM
  • Surface Pro 3 is pretty legit.
  • Andrew said:

Surface Pro 3 is pretty legit.

Yeah like I said earlier the Surface seems pretty good. It's tablet when you want a tablet, and an actual laptop when you need a laptop. The previous iterations were a bit jenk but the 3 seems pretty solid from what I've heard. Also meets the requirement of wanting to go back to Windows. Otherwise I would just say stick with Macbook.
  • Cintiq Companion 2 vs Surface Pro 3
  • Dazzle369 said:

Cintiq Companion 2 vs Surface Pro 3

If you're someone who is serious about digital drawing, the Cintiq Companion is better mostly due to using Wacom's digitizer/software vs the Surface Pro 3's NTrig digitizer/software. The Surface Pro 3 also has a set pressure curve that you cannot change (unless they released a software update for that since I last researched this?) and if you're not used to the curve, it can mess up your lines. The Cintiq also has a rough finish on the screen, which is good as it mimics the feel of paper somewhat in order to help draw your lines better. It does make a difference if you're serious about drawing and you're willing to shell out big bucks for it.

Now, if you're not serious about drawing, all of what I said doesn't really matter and adds on to the price of the Cintiq Companion for little value. Doing a very brief comparison of the hardware specs versus the price between the two, the surface pro 3 gives you more bang for your buck.
  • 2bfree said:

sK0pe said:

2bfree said:

Disappointing. Thinkpads were my go to laptop. The whole PC market is going to shit.

How do you go from one Chinese manufacturer fucking up a release to stating that the entire PC industry is going to shit?
    Lenovo doing this is indicative of the problems in the consumer PC business. The average consumer (not people that read this forum) increasingly don't need more than their smartphone, and maybe a cheap tablet for their computing needs. Meanwhile PC manufacturers are in a race to the bottom.

People should see what Lenovo did as a sign of desperation.
    I doubt there is anyone who can survive off of just a tablet, if anything I've only seen an increase in computer usage over the past few decades and people failing hard at forcing a tablet into professional situations.
    My Dad who is super tech illiterate depends on using his desktop or laptop to do his stuff whether it be communication, news, media, banking, shopping etc. He hated the smartphone my brother gave him and uses it as a dumb phone. Even his friends use computers. Tablets are tech toys from their perspective.

Where are you seeing the race to the bottom? The only options I gave myself this year for laptops were a Dell XPS 13 or Microsoft Surface Pro 3, both are premium pieces of hardware. Before this fuck up Lenovo's newer laptop had the CES media attention for having an insanely light device. Whoever was in charge of their shitware got super excited and went crazy.

I would use a Chromebook but I need to install a few other things for programming.

If you have a smartphone, the use case for a tablet falls of dramatically in my opinion.
  • In my case the only thing I use my desktop for is gaming and paying bills. Most everything I access from my phone. If what I am looking to access is somewhat sketchy I use my Chromebook because I can just wipe it clean in five minutes.

I see no reason to go with a laptop at all because it is less computer for the money than a desktop and any convenience factor is outclassed by a phone/tablet device.

Unless space and portability is a concern I can't see a compelling reason to go with a laptop vs a desktop.
  • Space and portability is my main concern.
  • edited February 2015
    sK0pe said:

Stuff.

I'd actually prefer a tablet to a laptop. I only use my current one because there's a test-taking software that I have to use, and I'm not putting that resource hog on a tablet. And if I didn't play games I wouldn't need a desktop either. I could reasonably get away with just a Surface Pro 3 or iPad.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • I prefer a tablets also, since keyboards are peripheral. Just makes it easier to lug around. However laptops are comparatively cheaper.

And at least you can get higher spec laptops, if you so need (as I do).

Though, the Surface Pro 3/ Cintiq Companion's specs does me nicely, just needs to be cheaper. >_<
  • My brother is going to college, and needs a computer. So he asks me.

He won't need it for super programming. He won't need it for super gaming. What's a good one to buy in 2015?
  • edited August 2015
    Get a touchscreen windows laptop with an i3 or i5 and a big ass battery. The last laptop I bought for college was an Asus VivoBook x202e back in august of 2013. Still runs great and it came with a warranty so awesome Asus told me over the phone that I could run it over with a car and they would still replace it. Gonna put an SSD in it now that the warranty is over.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • At this point I don't think you really have to choose between a laptop and a tablet. Unless you're really specialized you can get ones that will do pretty much everything you need for fairly cheap.
  • At this point I don't think you really have to choose between a laptop and a tablet. Unless you're really specialized you can get ones that will do pretty much everything you need for fairly cheap.

Keyboard.
  • Starfox said:

My brother is going to college, and needs a computer. So he asks me.

He won't need it for super programming. He won't need it for super gaming. What's a good one to buy in 2015?

See if the college or his intended degree's department has recommendations. It might be worth waiting until at school to see what other students might recommend.

With no other guidance, get the cheapest MacBook Pro you can get away with. Get the educational discount through the college. Also, get an external usb disk and set up Time Machine.

Keyboard.
    I mostly just meant that they're cheap enough that you can buy both and still get decent ones for less money than buying either of them would have been a few years ago.

• edited August 2015
    Starfox said:

My brother is going to college, and needs a computer. So he asks me.

Surface Pro 3 or 4
    Literally the silliest thing I did was not buy the Surface Pro 2 at the time that I went back to University.
    Use this thing and you don't need paper unless something needs to be printed out to be submitted. Real computer with the benefits of a tablet (with palm rejection and accurate stylus) and laptop keyboard.

Can't lose notes.

Diagrams, maths, chemistry, physics, engineering, problem solving equations are so much easier.

On top of that you can start typing for faster text input.

Can also use it at home for entertainment, Windows 10 experience is great on it.

All of this and it can still be used to play Counterstrike or connect it to a 30" monitor if you want to dock to do some work.

My friend also runs Linux distributions in a Virtual box on his Surface Pro 3.
    Will also work great with Google Docs as there are many facets make use touch screen devices.

If this is too expensive, just grab a Chromebook with a good keyboard and a touch screen.
    If I wasn't a programming on the device I would only have needed Chrome and Google apps. There is a surprisingly good set of Chrome apps, the only time I get out of Chrome stuff is to launch Steam or Virtualbox.

I seriously think touch screen is a better interface than a touch-pad.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I have $210 in Best Buy rewards that expire in mid-October, as a result of buying a new fridge there. Where you at, Surface Pro 4???