This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ideas for someone else to make

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I think we have taken this prompt in very different directions. I am picturing Magic School Bus, and you seem to be thinking about an all-female Planetes.

Which is kind of totally awesome.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I know, and both of you are very different than what I was imagining. That's cool!
  • What did you have in mind? I feel kind of shitty about hijacking your idea with random bullshit if you had something else in mind.
  • Goes something like this:
    The main character is an evacuee from an increasingly inhospitable earth, sent ahead of her parents so that they could afford her a three year flight to Mars instead of a slower 6 or 10 year flight.
    The Martian girl has spent her entire life on the ship in question, gaining a great knowledge about it's inner workings and a degree of respect among the other ship hands, in spite of her being a girl in a man's like of work.
    The lunarian is out of place wherever she is, the daughter of navigators and the height of an adult, she is detached and sheltered as there are fears she will never be able to set foot on a planet.
    The mercurian is being sent away due to mercury being too cold and dark to give a child a real future (At least the bits not bathed in radiation.), is already working some way to distinguish herself from the other's seeking admission to Mars's highly competitive college system.
  • edited July 2012
    What did you have in mind? I feel kind of shitty about hijacking your idea with random bullshit if you had something else in mind.
    Yeah, but an idea is just an idea, and it's fun to brainstorm. I still have my version and now there are all sorts of different variations which are all interesting too!
    The mercurian is being sent away due to mercury being too cold and dark to give a child a real future (At least the bits not bathed in radiation.), is already working some way to distinguish herself from the other's seeking admission to Mars's highly competitive college system.
    Mercury is really hot, but I bet the bases are all underground and shielded, so maybe.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited July 2012
    I didn't have a TV growing up, so I don't really know what makes the difference. I want this to be less about merchandising and more about educating.
    Sell them knowledge, for free! Or well, eye-ball time.

Also, think of a famous cook.

You thought of a guy, didn't you? You now have one side character for the first episode of Leaving Home, or whatever.

EDIT: Also, you could put it in a scientific utopia. Everyone does science in everything they do. The cook SCIENCES FOOD! With SCIENCE!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • The science utopia was kind of my thought, actually. Sort of having it set in a hopeful, optimistic, near-post scarcity world of silver torchships, bubble-helmeted spacesuits, and a humanity free of war and disease, a future beckoned in by SCIENCE!

Basically, Rocketpunk; a setting based on the sci-fi hopes of yesteryear. Minus all the weird neocolonial attitudes and rampant misogyny.
  • Note: I'll be offline for a day or few. my dads idea to switch from cable to 3G internet with 15GB data for a whole house has lasted about a week.
  • Grammar checker, or Is that the right there you got they're???
  • Drew this up real quick. Pilot/Biologist/Programmer. Guess None of them really turned out that space themed except the pilot.

• edited July 2012
    Idea: Total conversion for Crusader Kings II based on the Three Seas from Prince of Nothing:

- Special Dunyain characters (super bonuses to doing stuff, uncovering plots, super minuses for creating offspring which is kind of a big deal in CKII)
    - Consult (basically a dick faction in your base becoming your dudes)
    - Sorcerer / Chorea military units
    - Hordes of Scylvendi / Sranc
    - Notable eras include First Apocalypse, Scholastic Wars, The Holy War, Unification Wars, The Great Ordeal
    - Immortal Nonmen characters
    - Special crusade orders including Men of the Tusk / Ordeal, Scalpoi, etc.
    - Play the Inchoroi and infiltrate all the bases and become all the dudes and kill ALL the peoples

Maybe (MAYBE... probably not... but maybe) this will turn into a non-shit-talk, assuming I can wrap my head around the game by the time the third Aspect-Emperor novel is out.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • If you're of the age of 13 to 25, give your idea to NPR. Tell the World Your Big Idea With NPR's 'What's Your Big Idea?' Video Contest
    That's an odd age range. Ageists.
  • Idea: Total conversion for Crusader Kings II based on the Three Seas from Prince of Nothing:

- Special Dunyain characters (super bonuses to doing stuff, uncovering plots, super minuses for creating offspring which is kind of a big deal in CKII)
    - Consult (basically a dick faction in your base becoming your dudes)
    - Sorcerer / Chorea military units
    - Hordes of Scylvendi / Sranc
    - Notable eras include First Apocalypse, Scholastic Wars, The Holy War, Unification Wars, The Great Ordeal
    - Immortal Nonmen characters
    - Special crusade orders including Men of the Tusk / Ordeal, Scalpoi, etc.
    - Play the Inchoroi and infiltrate all the bases and become all the dudes and kill ALL the peoples

Maybe (MAYBE... probably not... but maybe) this will turn into a non-shit-talk, assuming I can wrap my head around the game by the time the third Aspect-Emperor novel is out.
    Eh, maybe if I had access to detailed maps and histories of Earwa then something could be done. But there aren't a lot of resources on that. Maybe R. Scott Bakker will release a Silmarillion some day, and then I could get to work. Failing that we'll have to make a lot of shit up.
  • I think you could take a pretty good snapshot of the beginning fo the Holy War.

Mostly I think the Consult, the Dunyain and the Nonmen would make an interesting addition to the game.

I think the first step would be "An Istuali Dunyain in Paris" and just get those things working in the default game. Golgotterath in Siberia, Trying to take over Christendom as the Warrior-Jesus, teaching Templars the Gnosis. That kind of thing.
  • That makes me think the Dunyain should get the horde mechanic. Only they can maneuver their subjects to participate in such a venture. Delightful.

Alas, I have promised myself to finish another CK2 related project first. After that's done we'll see.
  • Somebody please make me this.

http://learn.adafruit.com/delorean-time-circuit
    It's not hard to make it yourself. Follow the instructions.
  • Make me one Scott. I will be forever in your debt.
  • An emulator for games like Mario and Sonic that renders everything at a 1:1 pixel ratio while additionally rendering all map beyond the edge of the original screen.
  • A Turing Test-esque experiment where a person and a black box have a flame war and the human must figure out if the inane ramblings are from an artificial intelligence, or someone who doesn't understand how to read and respond to an argument...
  • They made that. It's called 4Chan.
  • "Subscription" based campaigning board game where scenarios are sent out monthly. Only hit upon this idea while posting in the show ideas thing, but the idea would simply be "you buy the main game up front, it comes with a subscription to a year of modules/scenarios that are to be played through". Next year, a new game.
  • "Subscription" based campaigning board game where scenarios are sent out monthly. Only hit upon this idea while posting in the show ideas thing, but the idea would simply be "you buy the main game up front, it comes with a subscription to a year of modules/scenarios that are to be played through". Next year, a new game.
    Board game subscription/DLC? It's called expansions. We have those.
  • edited August 2012
    Specifically for a campaigning game like Risk Legacy is. Part of the game, as intended, is that you take actions in the first couple games that effect all the future games, but some of those effects are unknown (secret information) until later games.

So say you buy something like Legacy, but instead of being able to play through all fifteen games very quickly in one session, you would only get certain events unlocked (in this case by time).
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • An emulator for games like Mario and Sonic that renders everything at a 1:1 pixel ratio while additionally rendering all map beyond the edge of the original screen.
    That's a little strange when you consider enemy behaviour and positions as well.
    That's a little strange when you consider enemy behaviour and positions as well.
    Have the un-awakened enemies be shown frozen at their points of entry until you get near them.

Have enemies who scroll off the screen continue their behavior forever as though they were still on-screen.

• Collectable card game where all of the cards are available in common/uncommon/rare formats. So you can build any deck for relatively cheap out of commons, but still take advantage of people dumb enough to want the rare version of every single card. Different artwork/borders/limited-edition-ness for the rareness factor.
  • Collectable card game where all of the cards are available in common/uncommon/rare formats. So you can build any deck for relatively cheap out of commons, but still take advantage of people dumb enough to want the rare version of every single card. Different artwork/borders/limited-edition-ness for the rareness factor.
    I had this one idea for a CCG mechanic. Every card has a rarity level that is more granular than C, U, R. The power of the card is directly proportional to the rarity. In addition, the level of rarity directly corresponds to how many of that kind of card you can have in your deck. So if the highest level of rarity is ultra-rare that means that any legit deck can have at most one ultra rare card. Not one of each. Just one. The most common level of card would be unlimited.

This would solve the money problem since you wouldn't be able to make a deck better by having more money and more awesome cards. Every deck would be customized and asymmetric, but still balanced assuming all cards of a particular rarity level were equally powerful.

• It occurs to me that since this is in the international news, I want to see a mashup of all the various language news stations saying the words "pussy riot" or whatever translation they decide to use.