This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smartphone questions

edited June 2012 in Technology
I specifically have a question about Google Listen but I went with a more general title so that other people can come in with their questions about phones or apps or whatever as well.
I use Google Listen quite a bit on my HTC Droid Incredible 2, it's a pretty good podcatcher and saves space on my Zune and Sansa Clip+ for music and old time radio and stuff like that. However, recently, the program errors and crashes every time I I try to update the subscriptions. I'm not subscribed to any weird podcast feeds as best I know and nothing I do seems to fix the issue. I've cleared the episode cache, deleted podcasts that weren't updating or that I wasn't listening to otherwise, and I even deleted the app and then reinstalled it. I don't know what more to give to get help aside from a list of the podcasts I have in it, but I don't think that's the problem. Can anyone offer me advice?
Post edited by Hitman Hart on

Comments

• I think you can go into Settings->Applications->Listen and find the button that says "Clear application data.".
  • It still gave me the same message. I'm beginning to think it actually is a bad podcast feed that's giving me trouble because it always crashes in the middle of refreshing the feeds. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it.
  • Go to your Google Reader account (Even if you don't think you have one, if you use Listen, you do) and see if you can find any bad feeds through that.
  • Go to your Google Reader account (Even if you don't think you have one, if you use Listen, you do) and see if you can find any bad feeds through that.
    Reader used to be what I used for a podcatcher before I got into Zunes. I'll check it out.
  • edited June 2012
    I think I found the problem! When Indycar/IMS Radio finally realized that they hadn't posted the race broadcasts for the season up to now, they did something to the feed that Listen didn't like. The feed does look kinda funky and Zune hasn't noticed that it's updated, so that seems to be the issue. Have a look for yourself. Indycar is the only sports league that lets you listen to full events going all the way back to 2005 as best I'm aware.
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/IMSRadio
    EDIT: They also posted the races in the wrong order. It should go: St. Pete, Barber, Long Beach, Sao Paolo, Indy 500, Texas, and then Milwaukee. Indy Lights is the minor leagues of Indycar so that's not part of order if you just want the big races.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Listen is just kind of buggy, I think. It will often lose the episode I am on in the middle of listening to it. I don't really like the UI (except on Honeycomb) or the bugs, but I haven't found a podcatcher that I enjoy using more.
  • That's basically how I feel. Listen isn't great, but it's the best one I've found. Podcasting is waaay too niche for anyone to bother making something better, and even iTunes I don't actually like that much.
  • That's basically how I feel. Listen isn't great, but it's the best one I've found. Podcasting is waaay too niche for anyone to bother making something better, and even iTunes I don't actually like that much.
    iOS6 separates the podcast app from the Music app. So there will be an official stand-alone podcasting iOS app. It will still sync with iTunes, though. It will be sort of like how they separated the iPod app into separate Music and Movie apps.
  • Oh, me likey.
  • Will it finally let you choose between playing episodes from newest to oldest or oldest to newest?
  • Interestingly, if you own a smartphone, you carry a small piece of Australia in your pocket. Up until 2009, we were some of the world's biggest miners and exporters of Coltan - a mineral necessary for the production of most modern electronics.
  • Please check your phone for spiders.
  • Please check your phone for spiders.
    Why would I neOH GOD IT'S FULL OF SPIDERS!!!
  • Told you. Now you know why Apple doesn't want you opening their products - it's for your safety.
  • Now smartphones are actually filled and powered by Congolese blood.