This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Polar Bear Cafe, Kids on the Slope, Japanese Folktales

edited June 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we present some initial thoughts on three lovely anime: Polar Bear's Cafe, Kids on the Slope, and Folktales from Japan. While none are terribly prominent in the fan community, they're all definitely worth watching! Also, Rym GeekBites A Cat in Paris and Scott reminds us to both preorder The Underwater Welder and that Scott's Box will return at the turn of the tide.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Wait, you guys keep track of what is prominent in the fan community? My nose is picking up some nasty smells.
  • edited June 2012
    Kids on the Slope is pretty good. Kinda tired of the high school drama and relationship pentagon even if they're handling it well. Things get a little more standard late in the show too, unfortunately. Frankly I seem to have dropped it, going to try to marathon it when the season finishes.

I love Polar Bear Cafe's idea and the opening is fabulous. It's just too slow-paced and repetitive for me, gave up on it at 2 episodes. Go watch the opening on Youtube, anyway.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • On the subject of Jeff Lemire the first Animal Man trade is out on amazon.
  • Also, on the subject of subtitles for A Cat in Paris. They're linked in the comments for the most popular torrent.
  • Also, on the subject of subtitles for A Cat in Paris. They're linked in the comments for the most popular torrent.
    You mean that totally shady site? When you click the download link it just sends you to a page to download some shady video playing software.
  • No, I'm talking about the averagely shady site that directs you to a big ad for their shady software that you can ignore perfectly fine, after which the download starts for the srt. Since you've already gone to the site you're fucked anyway if it fucks your computer over, the actual download is exactly what you sought, plain text properly timed subtitles.
  • No, I'm talking about the averagely shady site that directs you to a big ad for their shady software that you can ignore perfectly fine, after which the download starts for the srt.
    Yeah, the kind of shady site we never visit, and thus never have malware problems.
    Since you've already gone to the site you're fucked anyway
    Javascript and other means can trigger further exploits when you interact with the site.

If any of you think clicking on those links to sites like that in the comments of torrents, you're doing the modern equivalent of walking around a bad neighborhood at night with money hanging out of your wallet and a blindfold on.
  • If any of you think clicking on those links to sites like that in the comments of torrents, you're doing the modern equivalent of walking around a bad neighborhood at night with money hanging out of your wallet and a blindfold on.
    I once was kinda doing that, except I had no money or blindfold and when two guys asked if I had any money on me I told them, "About two grand." Confused the shit out of them. Proceeded to walk towards downtown and was ignored otherwise. Weird moments.
  • No, I'm talking about the averagely shady site that directs you to a big ad for their shady software that you can ignore perfectly fine, after which the download starts for the srt.
    Yeah, the kind of shady site we never visit, and thus never have malware problems.
    Since you've already gone to the site you're fucked anyway
    Javascript and other means can trigger further exploits when you interact with the site.

If any of you think clicking on those links to sites like that in the comments of torrents, you're doing the modern equivalent of walking around a bad neighborhood at night with money hanging out of your wallet and a blindfold on.
    And your good friend Apreche admitted to doing exactly all of that. Still no malware here either, entertaining movie too.

I personally make sure I wear a condom and a have a stick to guide me when I walk blindfolded through bad neighbourhoods at night with money hanging out of my wallet.

P.S. What's a bad neighbourhood? Something you Amurrikans invented?
  • P.S. What's a bad neighbourhood? Something you Amurrikans invented?
    Maybe not invented, but we're damn good at them.
  • I think you will end up liking Starman Scott. While there are elements of underwear perverts, it is kept to a minimum and mostly focuses on the character's growth and acceptance in becoming a superhero, then events that have him giving up the mantle. I've got all the trades, and would suggest patience, since this is a story written for 80+ issues.
  • P.S. What's a bad neighbourhood? Something you Amurrikans invented?
    Maybe not invented, but we're damn good at them.
    There are dangerous neighborhoods in most cities around thde world. It's basically a poor neighborhood where there is a lot of crime, drugs, and violence. You might get mugged if you go there alone at night, or hassled by gangs.

• I... You... argh. You torturous monster.
  • What? It's true. Even in Japan my host mother told me not to go near kabuki-cho because of all the thugs there. There must be places like that in Holland, places where there is more crime in a specific area.
  • What? It's true. Even in Japan my host mother told me not to go near kabuki-cho because of all the thugs there. There must be places like that in Holland, places where there is more crime in a specific area.
    At the very least, there are areas in cities where even if they aren't thugs, there are certainly pickpockets, etc.

When I visited Greece about 12 years ago, I went with my best friend who was a native of Athens. He himself avoided specific areas there too because of all the thugs and other criminal problems.
  • Same in NY. You live here long enough, you know where not to walk alone. However, most of the places tourists would think are dangerous are not. I live right by projects and they are pretty dang safe. It's where I go running.
  • What? It's true. Even in Japan my host mother told me not to go near kabuki-cho because of all the thugs there.
    That just makes it MORE tempting for me. Some of the nicest people I know are utter thugs.

I think the problem is that the dangerous areas shift over time. The projects, as far as I know, used to be quite dangerous in the 70s and 80s. Now, it's pretty safe there, but I'll bet you can name districts in New York that are dangerous, but used to be as safe as the projects are now - Just like how Logan, Caboolture(technically not part of Brisbane, but near enough) and Morayfield used to be quite safe and reasonably nice, and have become dangerous shitholes.

Christ, even Ipswich(ours, not the original one) has become less of a shithole over the last decade or so.
  • Time Square used to be peep shows, now it's tourists.
  • I am intrigued by Polar Bear Cafe. I need to see if it's on Netflix.

My daughter and I have been watching High School Rumble (or is it just School Rumble?)

I normally hate high school drama animes, but I like this one (second to Pani Poni Dash, though.)

I've been trying to get her into sci fi anime. I was mildly successful with Cowboy Bebop by showing her episodes featuring Ed prominently. S.T.R.A.I.N. sort of piqued her interest briefly. VanDread worked for awhile but we've paused it in favor of School Rumble.

I'm pretty bad at knowing when something is Ecchi and avoiding it so my 13 year old has seen an awful lot of cartoon panties in the past few months. That said, she was watching Ouran Host Club for two weeks before I knew it, anyway.
    Exactly! And I always find the cycle of Gentrification and...Well, shitholeification to be fascinating.
    I passed through the other day and noticed there was a Time Square Visitor Center & Museum. Come learn the seedy history of Times Square!

Sure, in Holland. But that's only a fraction of the Netherlands.
  • My daughter and I have been watching High School Rumble (or is it just School Rumble?)

I normally hate high school drama animes, but I like this one (second to Pani Poni Dash, though.)
    >School Rumble
    >high school drama
    Girl, that show be pretty much just comedy. Unless you think actual high school drama anime are apocalypses worse than NGE.
    I'm pretty bad at knowing when something is Ecchi and avoiding it so my 13 year old has seen an awful lot of cartoon panties in the past few months. That said, she was watching Ouran Host Club for two weeks before I knew it, anyway.
    >complain about panty shots
    >mention how daughter was watching a panty shot-less show.
  • Ouran may not have panty shots but I wouldn't call it appropriate for adolescents.
  • What's inappropriate?
  • I'd have to sit and watch it again to be accurate and specific. From hazy memory I think there was at least strongly implied incest between siblings.
  • It was satirical. Most of Ouran is satirizing tropes of shoujo.
  • edited June 2012
    Ouran may not have panty shots but I wouldn't call it appropriate for adolescents.
    Wait, she's an adolescent and you're worried about her seeing panty shots? From your paranoia I thought you had a daughter who had yet to reach the age of 10!
    I'd have to sit and watch it again to be accurate and specific. From hazy memory I think there was at least strongly implied incest between siblings.
    If you actually watched the show you would've known that's wrong. That act is to make money.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Parodying it is still addressing it and not in a particularly constructive way for an adolescent. I'm not calling it a bad show (not my cup of tea) but it's not for 13 year olds, in my opinion.
  • No I'm not worried about panty shots. I'm worried about her exposure to and learning to understand objectification of women. I take it you're not a parent. Care to call me some more names? :-)