This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Another Health Care Thread

edited June 2012 in Politics
This is for the screaming and bitching that will surely follow the SCOTUS decision, which could come today.

Meanwhile, I still don't have decent health insurance. Do you?

Comments

• I have the best health care money can buy.
  • Mine is pretty good, as long as I don't go somewhere that's not on the list. Dental I can go wherever I want.
  • I had a great plan last year. They fucking neutered it this year and it's costing my family a fortune.

I'm all for single payer, socialized medicine in the US like in the rest of the civilized world. Can't come fast enough (and thanks to ceaseless Republican propaganda, probably never will).
  • Hasn't Scalua recently written a book where he talks about how Wickard was decided wrongly and how he wants to see that issue (commerce clause) revisited by the court?
  • I had my annual teeth cleaning and checkup. Had a filling that was a bit fucked so I had it redone. Was all free, I'm in Europe.
  • My insurance has been good for most part until I recently got a letter saying that a certain Catholic based health care provider is now considered out of network.

Overall, it doesn't really affect me unless I were to go to the closest ER/Hospital to where I live.

Dental is great. I really need to go in for a cleaning and I really don't want to. (-____-;)
  • All dentists in my state seem to be crooks. It's like going to the auto mechanic when you know nothing about cars (like me). Do I really need a new flux capacitor for $500 plus labor? Well OK you're the pro...
  • My insurance is pretty good. I can go anywhere and while I have a $4000 deductible, my company does reimburse me the first $3000. I also don't need to deal with the annoyances of getting referrals and such. It's not perfect, but it's okay.
  • That's the sort of plan I used to have before they took it away. I could go anywhere, no copays except for prescriptions (and a few, like my inhaler, were free). I had a $3000 deductible but the company paid the first $1000 and I used FSA to cover the rest. It was the best plan ever and I miss it.
  • My health care plan is Google. At least until I go off to school.
  • My health care plan is Google.
    I'm on the GOP health plan - try really hard not to get sick.

• Part of the reason I'm now an indentured servant to Citibank is that I had the GOP plan but also have Crohn's Disease. It didn't work out well. :-)
  • On a student health care for now, not looking forward to when it ends. Before school I didn't have insurance, which meant a lot of hoop-jumping and canadian meds. Thankfully I have a supportive father who will pay taxes on my behalf to get Japanese national insurance, and that insurance will reimburse costs. It was either that, or 600$/mo premiums due to pre-existing conditions and being female.

I really wish Obamacare would kick in before 2014, hopefully it won't be neutered even more if and when it does.

Dental I do not have... my previous experience was that dental insurance is far more lax about pre-existing problems. A check-up costs ~100-150 uninsured, and insurance costs $35/mo, with coverage for pre-existing cavities and whatnot. I should get a checkup though. Been a long time.
  • Man, health care is complicated.
  • Man, health care is complicated.
    It is in the US. In other countries, not so much.
  • I'm on the "just pay for cleanings and such" for my dental plan (really, it's not that much for something you get twice a year). And my health insurance ends in four days when I turn 26.

Yay.

At least I will have it again by September when my company can finally offer it.
  • edited June 2012
    So, there was no decision today from SCOTUS.

Anyone care to speculate on what the decision may be when it eventually does come down and what consequences would naturally arise therefrom?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'm holding out hope that Kennedy was trolling everybody and decided to uphold. I'd love to see how pissed off the GOP could get.
  • I dislike the argument of constitutionality as though the constitution were infallible and fully relevant to today's world. Not that modern congress could do any better ):
  • What do you think will happen if Obama's plan is totally struck down? What if it's totally upheld?

Weeping and gnashing of teeth? Violence in the streets?
  • What do you think will happen if Obama's plan is totally struck down? What if it's totally upheld?
    I wonder how many people are misinformed about the plan. I would hope that more health collectives would develop.
    I wonder how many people are misinformed about the plan. I would hope that more health collectives would develop.
    Health collectives? You mean people that get together and pool their money for health care expenditures, or something different?
  • edited June 2012
    What do you think will happen if Obama's plan is totally struck down? What if it's totally upheld?
    Health collectives? You mean people that get together and pool their money for health care expenditures, or something different?
    Yes. Either that or more non-profit insurance groups.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
    Except for the non-profit part, a "health collective" is identical to health insurance, and is actually worse.

The reason health insurance works is because it is very very large. When one group represents so many patients, they have significant bargaining power with providers that allows them to bring prices down. Unless your health collective has a very large number of people, thus becoming just like every other insurance company, it is almost guaranteed to fail. Either it will be bankrupt when there are too many expensive claims, or premiums will be so high nobody can afford it.
    Except for the non-profit part, a "health collective" is identical to health insurance, and is actually worse.

The reason health insurance works is because it is very very large. When one group represents so many patients, they have significant bargaining power with providers that allows them to bring prices down. Unless your health collective has a very large number of people, thus becoming just like every other insurance company, it is almost guaranteed to fail. Either it will be bankrupt when there are too many expensive claims, or premiums will be so high nobody can afford it.
    I know. Let me be more specific: Non-profit health collective/unsurance with a big enough pool. Happy?
  • What's preventing Non-profit heath unsurance from popping up now? And what makes you think they will in the future?
  • What's preventing Non-profit heath unsurance from popping up now? And what makes you think they will in the future?
    I think one could exist. I really do wonder why they do not. All you have to do is run a health insurance company the same way any of the existing ones (Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Cigna/etc.) are run, but charge less premiums, not many an profit, and don't pay any of the employees or executives ludicrous salaries.
    I think one could exist. I really do wonder why they do not. All you have to do is run a health insurance company the same way any of the existing ones (Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Cigna/etc.) are run, but charge less premiums, not many an profit, and don't pay any of the employees or executives ludicrous salaries.
    I am pretty sure you do not actually wonder that.
  • edited June 2012
    They do exist, BCBS RI apparently is non-profit (I just discovered this). I guess they just put me in the risky pool ): I wonder if for-profit companies have stronger bargaining because their sometimes unethical underwriting (or whatever you call screwing customers)?
    What's preventing Non-profit heath unsurance from popping up now? And what makes you think they will in the future?
    Note that I used the word hope.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I think one could exist. I really do wonder why they do not. All you have to do is run a health insurance company the same way any of the existing ones (Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Cigna/etc.) are run, but charge less premiums, not many an profit, and don't pay any of the employees or executives ludicrous salaries.
    They do exist, BCBS RI apparently is non-profit (I just discovered this). I guess they just put me in the risky pool ): I wonder if for-profit companies have stronger bargaining because their sometimes unethical underwriting (or whatever you call screwing customers)?
    What's preventing Non-profit heath unsurance from popping up now? And what makes you think they will in the future?
    Note that I used the word hope.
    I think they just have better bargaining because they have more people.

Hey hospital! We are only going to pay half price for these surgeries. Otherwise, we won't pay for our 10,000 people to go to your hospital at all, and they will go elsewhere. Or worse, they will come to your hospital and not be able to pay out of pocket.

Uh, no.

He hospital. 15% of the people in the entire country are covered by us. Let us pay half price for these surgeries.

Oh shit, I guess we have no choice.