This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Cards Against Humanity and Real Money Auction Houses

edited June 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Cards Against Humanity (a worthy successor to Apples to Apples, and then consider the ramifications of the Real Money Auction House (RMAH) and related systems on the gaming world at large. Diablo III, after all, is just the beginning of this. We also note that Pokemon Conquest is pretty fun so far, and don't forget ConnectiCon 2012 is fast approaching!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited June 2012
    and then consider the ramifications of the Real Money Auction House (RMAH) and related systems on the gaming world at large.
    Not listened, yet, but if Scott calls Scrolls(Mojang's new game) Pay2Win, punch him in the arm for me. Just a bit. He's been told that's stupid already.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You didn't mention the name of the ghost hand's player: Rando Cardrissian.
  • PC Low Settings Screenshots
    That thread is the reality of PC-gaming for me. At least for the games I can run.

That thread is the reality of PC-gaming for me. At least for the games I can run.

As a former PC gamer, now confirmed console gamer, those shots look pretty familiar (and totally fine) to me. :-)

I like the part where I put a disc in and the game plays.

As a former PC gamer, now confirmed console gamer, those shots look pretty familiar (and totally fine) to me. :-)

I like the part where I put a disc in and the game plays.

I like the part where I don't have any discs lying around the house, getting lost, broken, etc.
  • edited June 2012
    Touche. :)

Still, I haven't upgraded any hardware in... how long has the XBOX 360 been out? I haven't dealt with a single driver issue, or tweaked any display settings or cfg files. I like my new non-stress gaming lifestyle quite a lot. I can spend less on hardware and more on games. Sure, I get fewer dew drops on the grass and veins in characters' foreheads.

I'm a dictator about discs in my house. They're in racks, alphabetized, with nary a fingerprint or a scratch to be found. I've got my 13 year old well trained (started when she was 3) in the fine art of proper disc handling.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited June 2012
    I hope that my 1 year old daughter only encounters discs in historical context.

Thoughts on the episode: There is a Cards Against Humanity expansion. It is great! (although it presents the "aw crap can't fit all of the cards in the box now" problem). Comes with several blank cards, and it may be the first game where I actually use them.

My group has decided that the trump card is actually "Bees?" There's just something incredibly humorous about the question mark, and the implied unexpected/curiously surprising appearance of bees.

The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest is a huge waste of time. But you should still see it once!. Wife and I went years ago, would never go back, but we don't regret having gone. It's like a little taste of Idiocracy in your own back yard. It's understandable to never want to go, I just put a high value on bizarre cultural experiences (this is coming from a guy who plans to make it to Groundhog Day sometime soon).

Damn NerdNYC scheduling. I haven't gone in a while now and the streak continues. Said daughter is having 1st birthday party that day so family trumps. Should be a great game night w/ starting early and no NYU in session to clog Think Coffee!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I hope that my 1 year old daughter only encounters discs in historical context.
    I have mixed feelings. The removal of the physical medium is going to be the final death knell for the second-hand game market, which is already on its last legs.

The convenience of no discs and digital delivery is great, but "one copy, one user, ever" is counter to capitalism in my opinion. Sure, you're only buying a license to use the software. I get that. That's been true since the 70s. Still, the second hand market is important and it ought to stay around.

At least Steam has mostly rational pricing for games as they age. Other companies, not so much.

Anyway I guess this is off topic in this thread. :-)

• Well, we need congress to legislate first sale rights on digital media.

But, congress is paralyzed and can't even legislate a budget.
  • How Hot Dogs are Made
    Corn-syrup adds a dash of sweetness.
    WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE. IT'S A HOT DOG, NOT FUCKING CANDY. IS THERE ANYTHING IN THE US THAT DOESN'T GET PUMPED FULL WITH CORN SYRUP? FUCKING HELL, WHY WOULD YOU RUIN HOT DOGS THAT WAY.
  • I can spend less on hardware and more on games.
    A computer capable of running todays games costs not that much, and the money you save due to Steam sales/pirating and not having to get shelving space for discs is going to make it not much more expensive.
  • Ah, but Steam sales don't save you money!
  • Ah, but Steam sales don't save you money!
    Speaking of, isn't it next week?

@muppet, there is no such thing as off topic in this forum. I used to be a mainly console gamer only, but I find PC gaming for certain games to be better for me.

Also in regards to CAH. I told them on Twitter how I didn't like the Glen Beck cards and removed them from the deck. They replied that the new copies don't have those cards included. I have yet to play with the expansion cards, but plan to this weekend.
  • I thought the Steam sale was tomorrow? Who knows! I don't think I bought anything during the last one. I think I can hold back on this new one as well.
  • A computer capable of running todays games costs not that much
    Tell me where I can get a computer that runs todays games for 80€ and I believe you. Also I buy my 360 games used or from amazon, I never pay the full 60€ price for a game. PC or console.

• How Hot Dogs are Made
    WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE. IT'S A HOT DOG, NOT FUCKING CANDY. IS THERE ANYTHING IN THE US THAT DOESN'T GET PUMPED FULL WITH CORN SYRUP? FUCKING HELL, WHY WOULD YOU RUIN HOT DOGS THAT WAY.You'd be surprised - a small amount of sugar helps balance strong flavors. And lots of sausages have sugar in them - all salamis, for example, have some sugar. I just made some landjaeger two days ago - it calls for dextrose, which helps your starter culture to grow and acidify the sausage.

Tell me where I can get a computer that runs todays games for 80€ and I believe you. Also I buy my 360 games used or from amazon, I never pay the full 60€ price for a game. PC or console.

What console costs 80€? I think an XBox 360 would probably cost around 200€, right? That's still a lot less than the 800€ it costs to get an awesome gaming PC. But that awesome gaming PC will last at least five years, and will have many other uses. You will probably use it more than any other single thing you own. Probably worth it.
  • How Hot Dogs are Made
    WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE. IT'S A HOT DOG, NOT FUCKING CANDY. IS THERE ANYTHING IN THE US THAT DOESN'T GET PUMPED FULL WITH CORN SYRUP? FUCKING HELL, WHY WOULD YOU RUIN HOT DOGS THAT WAY.
    You'd be surprised - a small amount of sugar helps balance strong flavors. And lots of sausages have sugar in them - all salamis, for example, have some sugar. I just made some landjaeger two days ago - it calls for dextrose, which helps your starter culture to grow and acidify the sausage.

Ingredients of Hebrew National Fat Free Beef Franks - no sugar.

NGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Modified Food Starch (Ingredient in Excess of Amount Permitted in Regular Beef Franks), Contains 2% or Less of Flavorings, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Potassium Chloride, Potassium and Sodium Lactate, Salt, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

What console costs 80€? I think an XBox 360 would probably cost around 200€, right? That's still a lot less than the 800€ it costs to get an awesome gaming PC. But that awesome gaming PC will last at least five years, and will have many other uses. You will probably use it more than any other single thing you own. Probably worth it.
    My Xbox360 cost me 80€. Also I would get me 800 to 100€ PC right now, if I could pull that money out of my ass, but as I can't, I won't.

• You'd be surprised - a small amount of sugar helps balance strong flavors. And lots of sausages have sugar in them - all salamis, for example, have some sugar. I just made some landjaeger two days ago - it calls for dextrose, which helps your starter culture to grow and acidify the sausage.
    Yes, sugar, I was complaining about corn syrup. It's the only thing you people put in fucking everything. Hell, new mothers probably lactate corn syrup over there!
  • edited June 2012
    Modified Food Starch
    News flash. DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUUUN. Okay, it's glucose, close enough.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited June 2012
    I have mixed feelings. The removal of the physical medium is going to be the final death knell for the second-hand game market, which is already on its last legs.

The convenience of no discs and digital delivery is great, but "one copy, one user, ever" is counter to capitalism in my opinion. Sure, you're only buying a license to use the software. I get that. That's been true since the 70s. Still, the second hand market is important and it ought to stay around.
    I'd say that copyright in general is counter to capitalism in that it's a state-enforced limited monopoly. Also, you shouldn't tie your feelings about the secondary market to physical media, since either can be had without the other. As Rym says, it's an area where legislation is needed, though it won't happen.
    Anyway I guess this is off topic in this thread. :-)
    Don't worry too much about being off topic, though if people want to discuss it a new thread will pop up anyway.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • How Hot Dogs are Made
    You'd be surprised - a small amount of sugar helps balance strong flavors. And lots of sausages have sugar in them - all salamis, for example, have some sugar. I just made some landjaeger two days ago - it calls for dextrose, which helps your starter culture to grow and acidify the sausage.

Ingredients of Hebrew National Fat Free Beef Franks - no sugar.

NGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Modified Food Starch (Ingredient in Excess of Amount Permitted in Regular Beef Franks), Contains 2% or Less of Flavorings, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Potassium Chloride, Potassium and Sodium Lactate, Salt, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite. And? There are sausages other than your Jew-dogs. :)

• You'd be surprised - a small amount of sugar helps balance strong flavors. And lots of sausages have sugar in them - all salamis, for example, have some sugar. I just made some landjaeger two days ago - it calls for dextrose, which helps your starter culture to grow and acidify the sausage.
    Yes, sugar, I was complaining about corn syrup. It's the only thing you people put in fucking everything. Hell, new mothers probably lactate corn syrup over there!
    It's politics. Corn is heavily subsidized, and Corn Syrup is kinda like sugar.
  • It's politics. Corn is heavily subsidized, and Corn Syrup is kinda like sugar.
    Kinda like sugar, makes everything taste horrible according to semi-reliable sources, and turns the whole country into whales even faster!
  • It's politics. Corn is heavily subsidized, and Corn Syrup is kinda like sugar.
    Kinda like sugar, makes everything taste horrible according to semi-reliable sources, and turns the whole country into whales even faster!
    There's actually no reliable evidence that people can taste the difference, or that it's worse for you than just consuming that same amount of sugar. There was one study a few years ago that said something to the latter effect, but I haven't heard any follow-up.
  • Starch is a carbohydrate, but is not sugar. It's a whole bunch of sugar all combined.
  • This is why consoles will always be inferior.

They will NEVER have the breadth or depth of games that PC has, nor will it give to freedom to pursue niche games.
  • Ingredients of Hebrew National Fat Free Beef Franks - no sugar.

NGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Modified Food Starch (Ingredient in Excess of Amount Permitted in Regular Beef Franks), Contains 2% or Less of Flavorings, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Potassium Chloride, Potassium and Sodium Lactate, Salt, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.
    They may also be not so kosher.
  • edited June 2012
    It's all part of the Republican plan - no birth control for women ensures they stay pregnant, keeping the corn syrup flowing. It's all part of the grand invasion plan of the stalkers from Cornulon Alpha.

Shit. I've said too much.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on