This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• I'm not that impressed. It certainly looks like a neat toy, but it doesn't look like it will have any real utility for me personally. Maybe down the road as its capabilities are explored, it may become more worthwhile. However, v1.0 just doesn't seem worthwhile to me.
  • I don't care how poor I might be, I will spend any amount of cash to have that in my life. It does too many things I want it to do to not make it worth the buy.
  • I'm not that impressed. It certainly looks like a neat toy, but it doesn't look like it will have any real utility for me personally. Maybe down the road as its capabilities are explored, it may become more worthwhile. However, v1.0 just doesn't seem worthwhile to me.
    Are you telling me a hands-free, lightweight, speech to text enabled, voice controlled GPS/Camera/camcorder/messenger/video phone/information recall device is of no utility to you?

What are you, nuts?!

Are you telling me a hands-free, lightweight, speech to text enabled, voice controlled GPS/Camera/camcorder/messenger/video phone/information recall device is of no utility to you?

What are you, nuts?!

THIS
  • Tell me when it works with an accented non-perfect English and I start to get interested.
  • I will be overjoyed to early-adopt this. Hopefully I'll have money by then.
  • First adopters always pay a premium for buggy, inefficient hardware with a short lifespan. Sit back and wait a year.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm not that impressed...

What are you, nuts?!
    THIS
    I reserve judgement untill I get to try one and remain skeptical until then.

Thus far it seems to me that the only thing you gain over a conventional smartphone is hands freeness and one obvious drawback is battery life (unless google has brocken the laws of physics / the finished product is much, much more clunky than the ad leads you to believe).

Another possible drawback is the user interface; it is one thing to let and ad company mock up something idealistic, it is another thing entirely to be able to execute on that promise (c.f. Siri).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Maybe Thaed will sign up and tell us how it is.
  • Welcome to Twitter, circa yesterday. ;^) Scott and I are both trying to sign up.
  • Hmm, there is a difference between owning a Virtual Boy and owning a Sega Saturn. Are you sure you know which one Google Glass is going to be (if it fails)?
  • Hmm, there is a difference between owning a Virtual Boy and owning a Sega Saturn. Are you sure you know which one Google Glass is going to be (if it fails)?
    There is a difference between owning a Virtual Boy and a Sega Saturn, but I would gladly have either one or both. Bomberman Hi-10!

• If this could be a working HUD and do half the things I would like then maybe but its still to early. I'll leave it to you Gargoyles till its had a couple of gens.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm not that impressed. It certainly looks like a neat toy, but it doesn't look like it will have any real utility for me personally. Maybe down the road as its capabilities are explored, it may become more worthwhile. However, v1.0 just doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

What are you, nuts?!

It's a toy. That's all it is to me. There are a handful of use cases where it may have some utility to some people, but none of the stuff I saw in the demo is all that useful to me personally. The fact is I can get almost all that functionality with other devices and for much cheaper than what Google Glass charges, with Glass's only benefit is as a HUD, and frankly, I don't see much benefit to a HUD for figuring out what the weather is or if my flight has been canceled. Even the lightweight handsfree/voice activated aspect can be accomplished via a $30 bluetooth headset. The GPS map HUD is somewhat useful, but not useful enough for the price. There are certainly other applications where having a HUD would be useful, but as of this moment none of them apply to me.
    If this could be a working HUD and do half the things I would like then maybe but its still to early. I'll leave it to you Gargoyles till its had a couple of gens.
    Seconded.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • With the map stuff. If it can give me more detail out in the woods, like arse end of no where woods, that say a map and compas then maybe maybe I would consider it for that. As it stands most of the GPS stuff that we have in the UK at least will fail or not be clear enough. I still carry a normal map with me if I go for a walk or drive. If the glasses can make me do away with that then that would be a big selling point.
  • With the map stuff. If it can give me more detail out in the woods, like arse end of no where woods, that say a map and compas then maybe maybe I would consider it for that. As it stands most of the GPS stuff that we have in the UK at least will fail or not be clear enough. I still carry a normal map with me if I go for a walk or drive. If the glasses can make me do away with that then that would be a big selling point.
    Unlikely as it would be using the same unreliable GPS tech as whatever other gadgets you're currently using.
    Unlikely as it would be using the same unreliable GPS tech as whatever other gadgets you're currently using.
    There in lies my problem. I live in the sticks most of the time so half this stuff doesn't work for me. If there was something that could even give me a decent and reliable map that I could then trace a map over I'd be happy, but there isn't. Thats with out half the other stuff I'd want it to do. I might be asking to much but if this is the route stuff is going then it needs to be much better than the kit I have.
  • edited February 2013
    GPS sucks, sure, but when fused with Structure from Motion or Visual Odometry, you can recover highly accurate state estimation and long term trajectories. Sure, it may be toy to you now, but pretty much any novel hardware modality is when they are first introduced to market. It takes time for people to develop use cases and innovate with new platforms for it to become useful.

I mainly want one for the research potential, because in my field it has quite high potential if you are smart about it.

I'll just leave you with this blade runner quote... "If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • None of the images I've found of Google glass show anyone wearing corrective lenses. Is anyone else interested in how that whole thing is going to be handled?
  • GPS sucks, sure, but when fused with Structure from Motion or Visual Odometry, you can recover highly accurate state estimation and long term trajectories. Sure, it may be toy to you now, but pretty much any novel hardware modality is when they are first introduced to market. It takes time for people to develop use cases and innovate with new platforms for it to become useful.
    Exactly. It's a toy to me now, but as it gets more refined it may actually be useful. For example, Scott compared Google Glass to the Model T on twitter, claiming that he's still getting the Model T instead of waiting for a Corvette because it's still better than a horse. The problem is that it's not a good comparison as Glass hasn't even reached Model T level yet. As primitive as the Model T is compared to a modern car, it's still a reasonably well-refined and practical vehicle for its era. In fact, the Model T was probably the first well-refined and practical vehicle. Google Glass right now isn't a Model T. It's instead one of the earlier cars that basically consisted of a horse carriage with its top chopped off and an exposed engine that belched black smoke, leaked oil, and chugged along at 2 miles per hour while often breaking down every 15 minutes. Talk to me when the Google Glass Model T is out and then maybe it'll be useful to me. :)
  • You are a consumer. I wish to be a maker. To each his own.
  • AmpAmp
    edited February 2013
    GPS sucks, sure, but when fused with Structure from Motion or Visual Odometry, you can recover highly accurate state estimation and long term trajectories. Sure, it may be toy to you now, but pretty much any novel hardware modality is when they are first introduced to market. It takes time for people to develop use cases and innovate with new platforms for it to become useful.

I mainly want one for the research potential, because in my field it has quite high potential if you are smart about it.

I'll just leave you with this blade runner quote... "If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."
    It does pretty much boil down to that. Im not the target demographic at the moment and won't be for quite a while. Hell I want this stuff to work and become widely accepted. There is loads of cool stuff I would like it to do and if I had the skills make it do. I am just weary at the moment, it would be all to easy for it to be over hyped and not come to much.

Also I would love that ability to record directly what you see and send to another, that would be the coolest.

Edit; I really need to get skills as there are some really cool stuff I'm thinking of right now that would be super awesome.

Post edited by Amp on
  • You are a consumer. I wish to be a maker. To each his own.
    Exactly. You have different use cases than I do. I don't work in your field, so naturally I don't see your research potential. However, I do admit for some, including you, it may have lots of potential. For example, I can see a surgeon using a Glass-like product to provide a HUD of patient vital signs as well as incision guides. I can see some sort of safety engineer using Glass while inspecting a bridge/plane/etc. and having its HUD highlight areas of concern and perhaps even interface with inspection equipment in order to provide additional data. I can see a Glass-like device providing a HUD to small aircraft pilots and giving them many of the same features only the big boys in airlines and the military have access to. I can see law enforcement using something like Glass to both document, via its cameras, their actions as well as displaying other relevant information such as photos of the suspects they're investigating. Rym mentioned that he does a lot of presentations and that Glass would be very useful for displaying notes, running times, and so on -- a view I concur with. I don't doubt that Glass has a lot of potential. However, much of that potential wasn't in the demo video and what was there had very little use to me personally -- especially at $1500/pop for something that looks pretty clunky at that. I can't justify personally forking over $1500 (or any amount of cash, really) for a HUD that basically only tells me it's 24 degrees outside and that my plane is running on time. Maybe once people like you start actually doing awesome things with it, it'll be more worthwhile to me.
  • I can see the Google Glass never really working right and no one uses it in a professional capacity because it's not reliable enough.
  • Best part about Google Glass is that it is working as a great sieve. Just in discussing it we can already see who is going to be a connected member of our digital society, and who is going to disappear. I might miss some of you guys. Maybe if we invent time machines I'll pay you a visit in your prehistoric era.
  • AmpAmp
    edited February 2013
    I can see the Google Glass never really working right and no one uses it in a professional capacity because it's not reliable enough.
    Thats one of my big concerns, that the hype is to much and the first gen doesn't deliver. People lose interest and it becomes a novelty.

Also I would love something that would mesure what I was cutting and mark on where to cut. That and some sort of thermomiter for forging.
    Best part about Google Glass is that it is working as a great sieve. Just in discussing it we can already see who is going to be a connected member of our digital society, and who is going to disappear. I might miss some of you guys. Maybe if we invent time machines I'll pay you a visit in your prehistoric era.
    Thats basically a fart noise you know that.

Post edited by Amp on
  • Replace Google Glass with Internet. Hilarity of this thread ensues.
  • Best part about Google Glass is that it is working as a great sieve. Just in discussing it we can already see who is going to be a connected member of our digital society, and who is going to disappear. I might miss some of you guys. Maybe if we invent time machines I'll pay you a visit in your prehistoric era.
    I'll buy digital glasses if Apple makes them
    I'll buy digital glasses if Apple makes them
    I'm going to combo the Apple Watch with the Google Glass.