This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• I'll probably disappear from digital society because I'm too poor to afford it. That's okay, though, the more I think about it the more I favor becoming a hermit on a mountain somewhere in the Blue Ridge Parkway.
  • I'll probably disappear from digital society because I'm too poor to afford it. That's okay, though, the more I think about it the more I favor becoming a hermit on a mountain somewhere in the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Being poor hasn't stopped any cyberpunk characters from getting teched up.
  • Best part about Google Glass is that it is working as a great sieve. Just in discussing it we can already see who is going to be a connected member of our digital society, and who is going to disappear. I might miss some of you guys. Maybe if we invent time machines I'll pay you a visit in your prehistoric era.
    I'll get Google Glass when it's a practical and refined method for interfacing with the Information Superhighway and not a 2 MPH, unreliable, oil leaking, black smoke belching horseless carriage. :)
  • None of the images I've found of Google glass show anyone wearing corrective lenses. Is anyone else interested in how that whole thing is going to be handled?
    I believe they've already said that they plan to make it an attachment to your existing glasses. I'm not really concerned about it.
    That's because in cyberpunks tech is ether cheap so evil corporations can use it to control everything and everyone or everyone is criminal and the tech is stolen black market stuff. Or both.

• I think more needs to be done to get this stuff working outside of cities that have info structures. Its great that it works in an optimum envyroment but if you can't make it accessable for everyone what is the point, you would be encouraging a divide for no reason beyond laziness and snobbery.

Hell in the time we have been talking I have thought of about ten, fiffteen differnet things these glasses could do that would make farming, carpentray, blacksmithing and farriership a hell of a lot more easy, but will never happen as they are either not cool or the people that they would desinged for would need to be taught them.

If we don't start branching out then we will see a divide, one that will only grow bigger and bigger till there is no way back.
    I saw it on the internet so it must be true!
  • Best part about Google Glass is that it is working as a great sieve. Just in discussing it we can already see who is going to be a connected member of our digital society, and who is going to disappear. I might miss some of you guys. Maybe if we invent time machines I'll pay you a visit in your prehistoric era.
    I'll get Google Glass when it's a practical and refined method for interfacing with the Information Superhighway and not a 2 MPH, unreliable, oil leaking, black smoke belching horseless carriage. :)
    First of all, this is all assumption on your part that Google Glass is a piece of shit. You've never used it. I've never used it. But many Google people, and others, have been using it for many months every day. Pretty sure it has a lot of non-broken parts by this point. It's even possible that it's already a fully polished awesome thing.

Secondly, even a broken Google Glass does more than no Google Glass at all. Even a janky one is way way better than none at all.
    He's right, though, I could start stealing things.

He's right, though, I could start stealing things.

• Also, troll time.

Is there anyone who has the money and possibility of getting Google Glass who is criticizing it? Looks to me like all the people who are poo-pooing it are also absolutely unable to get one. Obviously it's just a huge case of sour grapes.
  • First of all, this is all assumption on your part that Google Glass is a piece of shit. You've never used it. I've never used it. But many Google people, and others, have been using it for many months every day. Pretty sure it has a lot of non-broken parts by this point. It's even possible that it's already a fully polished awesome thing.
    From what I've seen in the demo video, it's only a step above a piece of shit. It's a very expensive toy. It does almost nothing useful as far as I'm concerned, at least not yet. So maybe the black smoke belcher isn't the best comparison for it, but it's certainly not practical yet. As I said, when the Model T Google Glass is out, then maybe we'll have something. Google Glass right now is akin to the Stanley Steamer at best: a neat toy but not practical in any sense of the word.
    Secondly, even a broken Google Glass does more than no Google Glass at all. Even a janky one is way way better than none at all.
    Oh yeah, because seeing the time and weather hovering in front of your eyeballs is so much better than looking down at your smartphone to accomplish the same task.
  • Also, troll time.

Is there anyone who has the money and possibility of getting Google Glass who is criticizing it? Looks to me like all the people who are poo-pooing it are also absolutely unable to get one. Obviously it's just a huge case of sour grapes.
    I'm not going to rush in to buy it, but I could probably purchase one if I really wanted to. However, I'm also a freakin' cheap bastard who really needs to justify dropping down cash on nearly anything. For the price and what it actually offers, Google Glass right now just isn't worth it.

• Oh yeah, because seeing the time and weather hovering in front of your eyeballs is so much better than looking down at your smartphone to accomplish the same task.
    Umm, if you are driving, it is demonstrably better and safer.

• Oh yeah, because seeing the time and weather hovering in front of your eyeballs is so much better than looking down at your smartphone to accomplish the same task.

Yes, but I'm not a moron who looks down at his smartphone to check the weather and time while driving.

You could always look out the window.
  • Oh, so that kickstarter to replace the sun with a big clock passed, huh?
    Sundial. Look it up. :P
    You should see some of the perks Im getting! Dat vit-B yo!

• I will also be waiting to see how it actually works out. The last few months I've been actively trying to avoid using the Internet in favor of interacting with people and actually getting real shit done, so I'm doubtful I'll get it even if it is the best thing ever, but we will see.
  • Is this going to be Eden of the East in glasses form?
  • I am dead serious that I think AR will utterly and drastically change society. I'm talking over the next five-ten years, not the next thirty.
  • I am dead serious that I think AR will utterly and drastically change society. I'm talking over the next five-ten years, not the next thirty.
    Can you fill us in on that idea or is there a show where you already have?
  • It's not going to make people any less willfully stupid about sociopolitical issues, so I really don't give a fuck about what else it does (which will probably be superimposing nyancat on your HUD and making everybody look naked (with configurable penis and tit size.)
  • I look forward to making my everyday life have the Fallout 3 HUD.
  • Also, troll time.

I have enough assets that I can convert to cash to be able to afford it. The problem for me is that Google isn't offering it outside the US. So, whatever, I'll wait.

If that's the case, I can certainly wait a year or two until it becomes more refined, more practical, and more affordable before jumping in.

For what it's worth, despite my comparison to cars (based on Scott's comparisons to cars), it's probably a better comparison to smartphones. The earliest smartphones, like Blackberries, Palm Treos, etc., were pretty crappy relative to what we have now and, frankly, usually not worth it unless someone else (i.e. your employer) was paying for them. Good ones for individual use didn't really show up until a few years later when we got the iPhone, Android, etc. Google Glass right now really has a feeling of a first gen Treo or Blackberry, whereas it needs to be at least first gen iPhone or Android phone-equivalent in refinement before I consider it worthwhile.
    Can you fill us in on that idea or is there a show where you already have?
    They did it a while ago. It's the masturbation episode.

If that's the case, I can certainly wait a year or two until it becomes more refined, more practical, and more affordable before jumping in.

For what it's worth, despite my comparison to cars (based on Scott's comparisons to cars), it's probably a better comparison to smartphones. The earliest smartphones, like Blackberries, Palm Treos, etc., were pretty crappy relative to what we have now and, frankly, usually not worth it unless someone else (i.e. your employer) was paying for them. Good ones for individual use didn't really show up until a few years later when we got the iPhone, Android, etc. Google Glass right now really has a feeling of a first gen Treo or Blackberry, whereas it needs to be at least first gen iPhone or Android phone-equivalent in refinement before I consider it worthwhile.
    While we were at RIT in the early 2000s Steve Pomeroy was bluetooth tethering a van full of laptops headed to Penguicon using his Symbian phone. Tethering wasn't an option for normal people until much much later. Early adopters are further ahead than you think they are, and you have to wait longer to catch up than you realize.